D&D (2024) D&D24 Spellcaster Subclasses: Thematic Unity

DavyGreenwind

Just some guy
I noticed that the subclasses choices for Spellcasters in the 2024 PHB follow certain patterns and themes, and that may explain some of the odd choices.

Druid is obvious: Land, Sea, Moon, and Stars.

Clockwork Soul sorcery is the counterpoint to Wild Magic sorcery--chaos and order (probably why Clockwork Soul was chosen, even though it seems rather niche).

Wizards have offensive magic, defensive magic, truth magic, and deceit magic, to make for a neat symmetry of subclasses.

Cleric has a dynamic similar to the Wizard's.

Fey Wanderer and Gloomstalker are also in opposition.

I think it's neat.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I kind of wanted earth, wind, fire, and water for the druid.
I mean, land, stars, moon, and sea aren’t too far off. Earth/land and water/sea connection are more obvious, but the moon druid in its latest incarnation has a radiant damage subtheme, which is adjacent to fire (the heat from fire is a type of radiation); the subclass’s primary focus is on shapeshifting, and thematically fire is a force of change. The air/stars connection is the most dubious, but I can see it if I squint a bit.

Yaarel

He Mage
I mean, land, stars, moon, and sea aren’t too far off. Earth/land and water/sea connection are more obvious, but the moon druid in its latest incarnation has a radiant damage subtheme, which is adjacent to fire (the heat from fire is a type of radiation); the subclass’s primary focus is on shapeshifting, and thematically fire is a force of change. The air/stars connection is the most dubious, but I can see it if I squint a bit.
For arcane protoscientific flavor, the elements are: Earth, Water, Air, and Fire.

But for primal animistic flavor, the elements are more like: Land, Sea, Wind, and Sunlight.

In which case Stars work well with the radiant light of (distant) suns.

I view Moon as moreso animal life, rather than elemental. But its fine as part of the celestial luminaries.

Remove ads