• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Apocalypse] After the Blast IC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Day 0, November 3rd, 2020, Approx. 11:40 AM (17:40 GMT)

As James looks around, he can't help but notice several cargo truck beds hooked up to bays in the back of the supermarket. As luck would have it, a semi-truck is still attached to one of the cargo beds. Being on the southside of the building, it seems to have been mostly shielded from the blast. He quickly motions for Francisco and Xavier to come with him.

As they get closer, they realize the vehicle is indeed quite intact and quite abandoned. The only hazard is the lack of a windshield and windows, which were apparently blown out by the shock. A quick search of the inside reveals no keys, but plenty of space, even a full-sized bed in the back, among other amenities.

Xavier pops the hood while Francisco examines it. He is not incredibly familiar with semi engines, but he knows enough to tell that this is a diesel engine and that this one needs a new battery and a new starter to work. He believes that he might be able to jury-rig a starter and jump-start the battery (if there is another battery to be found that is in better condition), but he can't say for certainty how long the jury-rigged starter will work. Maybe 10 minutes. Maybe a few hours.

[sblock=Dekana]A retry is possible, it just takes another 10 minutes, however...[/sblock]

As Sophie uses a piece of scrap metal to pry the radio loose, she sees that she has her work cut out for her. Just about all the wiring is fried. She spends about 10 minutes poking around to see if there is even anything worth salvaging, but the whole system appears shot. She reckons there isn't a single useful component in the entire radio.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Kyle 3/9

Very well sir. Kyle answers to the cop and turns to the farm-boy. Now hold still kiddo, that gash on your head is even worse than mine. He starts going through all the people in this little group, starting with the farm-boy and the 7-11 clerk who seems to be most hurt. Then taking care of the burnt girl.

[sblock=OOC]Taking 10 and with HP results:
Xavier +2
Clerk +4
Sophie +3

Roll Lookup[/sblock]

Sgt. James Matthews; 5/32

Approaching the semi, James is clearly pleased,"Oh, this is good... we can work with the this. You say it needs juice? Sophie! Think you can strip some battery power outta a few of these wrecks for the boys here to work with? I'm going to take a look around here, see if I can't find anything that might be of some use to us."

James eyes the tall newcomer, "Anyone else want to make themselves useful... no better time than the present."

With that, he begins searching around the cargo bay and surrounding area grabbing any spare parts (tires, engine components etc.), tools, fuel and other supplies, and tossing them haphazardly in the back of the semi.

[sblock=search]Search check 1d20+1=12 Once the cargo bay is covered, he'll expand his search to the building it is connected to, especially looking for larger useful objects that panicked looters may have overlooked.[/sblock]

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Kyle 3/9

Glancing at the cop gathering supplies while treating Xavier, Kyle remembers the stuff he keeps at the trunk of his car. Yo, Jim was it?! There's a pack in the trunk of my car. A red toyota, close to the fire. He points at the 7-11. If you can reach it safely, we could really use that stuff. It is for fixing medicines. He goes through his pockets before remembering. I left the keys to the starter.

[sblock=OOC]Provided Kyle's car survived the fireball (unlikely :D), we could use the pharmacist kit that's in there.[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Game Info

[sblock=Blackrat]Since you chose to classify your character as a med. student, you probably wouldn't be able to afford a fully electric model vehicle. So chances are you owned a used hybrid or gasoline only model. Fully electric vehicles are on the market in this time/reality, but they are cutting edge, like the hybrids were back in 2000. Consequently, even a compact fully electric vehicle costs the same as a full-sized luxury sedan.[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
"If the battery and the starter are andando we can move this bebe like this" Francisco claps his fingers empathizing his point. "Although I could use some broken parts to assemble a new one"

OOC: Taking 20 or 10 (10 in the case 20 can't be taken.) +16 to repair, +11 craft mechanics to assemble needed parts

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Game Info

[sblock=Voda Vosa]To put it simply, you have two options:
1) Jury-rig the repairs with two DC 15 Repair checks (you can take 10). Each check takes 1 full round. You don't need spare parts, just the mechanical tools Xavier has. You estimate a jury-rig repair will last between 20 minutes and 2 hours.
2) Replace the starter and the batteries (three 12 V batteries) to complete permanent repairs with two DC 15 Repair checks (you can take 10). Each check takes 10 minutes, not counting the time it counts to find the spare parts.[/sblock]

Willette

First Post
"Well we better hurry if we're gonna get out of here before that radiation you were talking about hits us, it's a 3 hour drive to my farm. Let's make a quick check for some batteries in the warehouse and some of these abandoned cars. Otherwise we'll have to whip up some temporary fixes and that may not last long enough to get us home. Or even out of Chicago."

[sblock]
Search: Roll Lookup
[/sblock]​

failedreality

First Post
Tom Buckner 12/23

Tom continues to see a multitude of people running about aimlessly. something else must be going on here. Tom starts to make his way to the entrance of the mall. People are running back and forth, in front and behind him. Almost every one has some type of fear striking resemblance on their face. Tom is starting to get worried. He starts to walk faster to the entrance to see if there is something bigger going on outside of the mall.

Once Tom exits the mall, he cannot believe his eyes. "Oh My …" Before he could finish someone had accidentally ran into him as they were running into the mall. Tom gained his balance and just looked up. He saw this thing in movies and never imagined he would see this in his lifetime. Tom grab's his camera but it doesn’t seem to turn on. He looks across the way and see some gas stations a blaze. "Holy S***" he screams. His brain is pretty much frozen at the site before him, but his gut instinct tells him he needs to act and act pretty soon. this is all making sense now with everyone running around. I need to find some food myself, looks like things might be pretty scarce real soon

Right before Tom decides to make a quick run through the mall, he looks up and see's this guy running at him...

Last edited:

Remove ads