• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 modern for fantasy

romp

First Post
I do not have the search function yet, so sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone use the d20 modern rules set for fantasy. I mean a straight fantasy dungeon crawl with an occasional visit to town to resupply type fantasy game?

takyris

First Post
I'd consider my campaign to have more story and character-building than I think you're suggesting, but yeah, I'm running, essentially, a fantasy game with D&D monsters lairing in caves, and the heroes have d20 Modern class levels. All I've done is to combine Martial and Personal Firearm Proficiencies, so any time "Personal Firearms" is listed as a bonus feat choice, Martial Weapons (or Archaic weapons, same thing) is listed in its place. Also, I'm using D&D 3.5 weapons (but not weapon sizes, since my players are all humans and it doesn't really matter).

So, D&D monsters, D&D equipment, d20 Modern classes. Working well so far.

Khorod

First Post
That would probably work... however, a number of talent trees (and of course AdvClasses) have been designed to help represent modern archetypes. That means that while Modern might work, it will be providing a subtle twist to the game toward modern civilization in medieval times.

My understanding is that Grim Tales is the goto system if you want a grittier and/or more generic version of Modern... such as would be good in a standard fantasy game.

And if your post didn't do it, my mention will probably bring along a few spokespeople that will correct my statement somehow and clarify why this might be a good idea.

Psion

Adventurer
Does Grim Tales count? Grim Tales takes a lot of cues from modern, but expands the talent trees to include many fantasy class abilities.

Iron_Chef

First Post
I used Conan for a grittier D&D game and it was awesome. A Game of Thrones and Thieves' World both look very promising in this regard as well. However, I'm thinking of using Star Wars d20 for a fantasy game:

The next D&D or d20 game I run will use VP/WP regardless. In my next fantasy game, I wanna do:

VP/WP
Armor as DR
Defense scores
Maybe Parry (slows things down a lot but is more fair in a gritty setting)
Skill-based Magic System like The Force

Parry mechanics are used in Conan. Everybody gets to try and Parry one attack per round, IIRC, and you must match or beat the attacker's roll that would otherwise hit you. So everybody has a Parry score. The trick of course, is which attack do you parry? The first henchman to hit you with a short sword or do you wait and see if the big bad evil guy gets a critical hit on you with his greatsword?

As to the magic system question, well, yes. I guess everyone would be considered a sorcerer but called wizards, although the term "sorcerer" could be reapplied to a PrC or some other class (like the D&D equivalent of a Force Adept, maybe?).

Ideas:
Wizard/Mage = Jedi Consular
Battle Mage/War Wizard = Jedi Guardian
Sorcerer/Witch = Force Adept
Priests/Clerics are priests with no magical powers of their own (see Priest PrC in Hero's Guide). This does not prevent them from becoming wizards, or the possibility that their god may grant them access to feats which give them a limited spell selection, maybe... Either that, or the reverse is true, and access to magic only comes from the gods, thereby strictly limiting wizards to the priesthood and severely limiting their spell selection based on their god's portfolio/domains (hatred, fire, war, tyranny, evil,, etc., translating to spells with evil descriptor, fire descriptor, mind-affecting descriptor, etc.)...

Each school of magic would be a feat. Magic Sensitive would be a feat, but free to wizards if they start as such at 1st level. What are there? Eight or Nine schools of magic? Universal would be a freebie at 1st level, and one more school of their choice (their "specialty"). There should be some kind of test at 7th level to rise from apprentice to master (jedi knight equivalent), with archmage being a PrC (like FR).

With priests as wizards, the lightsaber can be swapped out for their god's favored weapon, masterwork quality (+1 to attack rolls), capable of being imbued with divine essence (magic). For traditional wizards, it could be their staff (ala Gandalf and Saruman in LotR), capable of storing spells or other effects (such as a defense bonus), or for battle mages it could be a sword, axe, spear, etc. of similar power to wizards, but obviously more useful in combat than a staff.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I did a short one-shot of this very sort of game using the Grim Tales rules.

It was actually VERY VERY fun.

Since it was a one-shot I did: "Flashback to Old Skool" and ran a 70s-style pointless dungeoncrawl.

Everybody loved it, including the female grad student that sat down to it as her first RPG encounter ever.

--fje

sinmissing

First Post
I've been working on this very thing on and off for several months. My result is a fusion of d20 Modern, Grim Tales, Thieves' World, and True 20. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

I'm using the 6 core d20 modern classes (to 10th level only).
There are no longer "Talents" just feats. All feats, most class features, and talents have been compiled under a unified feat list, complete with chains and prerequisites.
WP/VP
Thieves' World spellcasting system.

Almost done - going to be trotting it out real soon for my group.

malladin

Explorer
We used to play a regular campaign using our Darklore rules, which uses alternative base and advanced classes D20 modern style keyed into fantasy. It works well, though we are fans of the ideas in D20 modern anyway.
Nigel

takyris said:
I'd consider my campaign to have more story and character-building than I think you're suggesting, but yeah, I'm running, essentially, a fantasy game with D&D monsters lairing in caves, and the heroes have d20 Modern class levels. All I've done is to combine Martial and Personal Firearm Proficiencies, so any time "Personal Firearms" is listed as a bonus feat choice, Martial Weapons (or Archaic weapons, same thing) is listed in its place. Also, I'm using D&D 3.5 weapons (but not weapon sizes, since my players are all humans and it doesn't really matter).
My game wasn't dungeoncrawl, restock in town, etc. either, but that's more or less what I did. Eliminate a few obvious skills, like Drive, Pilot, Computer Use, etc., and a handful of feats, and you're more or less good to go. I also cribbed some "fantasy" occupations to use that I thought was pretty nice.

Remove ads