D20 Modern Spectaculars Canceled

PoppaGunch

First Post
Just got a message from the distributor, and it seems that this book has been canceled. Not sure if anyone was anticipating it (I was), but I figured I would let people know.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Wow, this was posted an hour and a half ago and nothing.

If this is true, the lack of reaction is a decent enough clue to me that WotC did the right thing...

Jim Hague

First Post
I'm going to wait and see - this wouldn't be the first time a distributor's been either wrong or outright lied about books coming out.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
I'm going to wait and see - this wouldn't be the first time a distributor's been either wrong or outright lied about books coming out.
Very True. I just expected this kind of announcement to garner more (any) response. :shrug:

jezter6

Explorer
I think that d20 Spectaculars was never very popular on the boards. Even the speculation threads over on the WotC boards were shut down due to M&M talk.

Supers has been done by another company, and done extremely well. It would suprise me to think they would cancel a product on that basis, but another part of me hopes they took notice to M&M and realized they were stepping into big footsteps.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
jezter6 said:
I think that d20 Spectaculars was never very popular on the boards. Even the speculation threads over on the WotC boards were shut down due to M&M talk.

Supers has been done by another company, and done extremely well. It would suprise me to think they would cancel a product on that basis, but another part of me hopes they took notice to M&M and realized they were stepping into big footsteps.
Honestly, I didn't see Spectactulars and M&M directly competing. After all, anyone that was looking for a supers game likely already uses M&M, Blood and Viligance, HERO, or some other supers game. The only game I saw it directly competing against was Blood and Vigilance, since they both use the D20 Modern system.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Cheezehog said:
didn't Hasbro recently aquire the rights to produce marvel products? If so, maybe WotC is working on a Marvel RPG.
I haven't heard that, but I also haven't paid much attention to Hasbro beyond WotC's dealings.

arscott

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
Wow, this was posted an hour and a half ago and nothing.

If this is true, the lack of reaction is a decent enough clue to me that WotC did the right thing...
I was going to wait for confirmation before I started ranting. Wizards has always struck me as on-top-of-things enough to not let a book get this far down the production line before axing it.

Wouldn't it be pretty much at the printers by this point?

Remove ads