• NOW LIVE! -- One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition on Kickstarter! A booklet of colourful one-page adventures for D&D 5th Edition ranging from levels 1-9 and designed for a single session of play.
log in or register to remove this ad

 

D20 Modern Spectaculars Canceled

PoppaGunch

First Post
Just got a message from the distributor, and it seems that this book has been canceled. Not sure if anyone was anticipating it (I was), but I figured I would let people know.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Kanegrundar

First Post
Wow, this was posted an hour and a half ago and nothing.

If this is true, the lack of reaction is a decent enough clue to me that WotC did the right thing...
 

Jim Hague

First Post
I'm going to wait and see - this wouldn't be the first time a distributor's been either wrong or outright lied about books coming out.
 


Kanegrundar

First Post
Jim Hague said:
I'm going to wait and see - this wouldn't be the first time a distributor's been either wrong or outright lied about books coming out.
Very True. I just expected this kind of announcement to garner more (any) response. :shrug:
 

jezter6

First Post
I think that d20 Spectaculars was never very popular on the boards. Even the speculation threads over on the WotC boards were shut down due to M&M talk.

Supers has been done by another company, and done extremely well. It would suprise me to think they would cancel a product on that basis, but another part of me hopes they took notice to M&M and realized they were stepping into big footsteps.
 


Kanegrundar

First Post
jezter6 said:
I think that d20 Spectaculars was never very popular on the boards. Even the speculation threads over on the WotC boards were shut down due to M&M talk.

Supers has been done by another company, and done extremely well. It would suprise me to think they would cancel a product on that basis, but another part of me hopes they took notice to M&M and realized they were stepping into big footsteps.
Honestly, I didn't see Spectactulars and M&M directly competing. After all, anyone that was looking for a supers game likely already uses M&M, Blood and Viligance, HERO, or some other supers game. The only game I saw it directly competing against was Blood and Vigilance, since they both use the D20 Modern system.
 

Kanegrundar

First Post
Cheezehog said:
didn't Hasbro recently aquire the rights to produce marvel products? If so, maybe WotC is working on a Marvel RPG.
I haven't heard that, but I also haven't paid much attention to Hasbro beyond WotC's dealings.
 

arscott

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
Wow, this was posted an hour and a half ago and nothing.

If this is true, the lack of reaction is a decent enough clue to me that WotC did the right thing...
I was going to wait for confirmation before I started ranting. Wizards has always struck me as on-top-of-things enough to not let a book get this far down the production line before axing it.

Wouldn't it be pretty much at the printers by this point?
 

drothgery

First Post
arscott said:
I was going to wait for confirmation before I started ranting. Wizards has always struck me as on-top-of-things enough to not let a book get this far down the production line before axing it.

Wouldn't it be pretty much at the printers by this point?

With an Amazon release date of Jul 11 (it's still listed on Amazon, FWIW), I'd think that would be the case. Heck, I'd think that the only thing that would keep it from coming out at this point would be a court injunction preventing WotC from selling it; even if they'd decided that making the book was a bad move, at this point everything has been paid for so they might as well at least try to recoup their costs.
 

PoppaGunch

First Post
Today was the first I had heard of it. I received it from Alliance Games Distributors in their daily newsletter. I hope it is simply a miscommunication. I was actually looking forward to it. :(
 

Stormborn

Explorer
drothgery said:
With an Amazon release date of Jul 11 (it's still listed on Amazon, FWIW), I'd think that would be the case. Heck, I'd think that the only thing that would keep it from coming out at this point would be a court injunction preventing WotC from selling it; even if they'd decided that making the book was a bad move, at this point everything has been paid for so they might as well at least try to recoup their costs.


Thats what I'm thinking. Of course it could also have been rescheduled for any number of reasons. Its still listed in the d20 M products on WotC's site, but I'm waiting for an official annoucement from Wizards. I hope it comes out. Even if you have no intent of playign supers, its essentially just another way to do FX and could work for a variant magic system or almost anythign.
 


JPL

Adventurer
This doesn't add up. Maybe it's just being rescheduled?

I don't buy the "fear of M&M" explanation. Spycraft didn't stop them from releasing d20 Modern. Adventure! and Sidewinder didn't stop them from releasing d20 Past.

I don't buy the "lack of interest" explanation. Has WotC ever cancelled a project because a handful of Internet nerds diss it sight unseen?

I don't buy the "Marvel rights" explanation --- why not use Spectaulars as a large-scale playtest? --- although I supposed they could've drafted the license to preclude WotC from putting out a "competing" supers RPG.
 


HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I think Spycraft was first. Spycraft was d20 and not long after the WP/VP system of SWd20. VP/WP came out in that, got some good praise, and Spycraft used it under special deal with WotC before it got released as OGC in Unearthed Arcana.

--fje
 

Henry

Autoexreginated
Spycraft was first released, by only a few months (both have a 2002 date, and Modern was released in I believe October or November).

It's a surprise to me; Forum poster Vigilance convinced me of the validity of such a product, because d20 Modern users would find more use in a seamless integration, unlike what M&M would give, and also M&M leaves lots of room for other genres, such as more "grim" versions of super-powers, because M&M, both with the Damage Save and with Hit Points, strikes me as pretty four-color with not a lot of room for "deadly grim."

I know my favorite system would be M&M, but others could certainly get use out of an official WotC supers product. OTOH, the best thing possible for them would be to marry it to an existing license, such as Marvel, in order to increase the purchaser base.
 



An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top