• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Daggers, Knives, and Darts...... Are there no Knives in 5E....?!?!?!

Tuzenbach

First Post
So, I was looking at the weapon list for 5E and found the Dagger and the Dart, but not the Knife. Are knives gone?

Also, what is the effective ranges for the 3 different weapons?

What is the rate of fire?

Does weapon specialization exist in 5E?

Thanks!!!!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Both weapons (dagger ad dart) have a range of 20/60.
Normal rate of fire is 1/turn.
There's no specialization, though feats can lead to some fun effects, and proficiency makes a difference.
There are no separate weapons called "knives" separate from daggers.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I can't even recall 3e or 4e having a knife entry on the weapon list. Use the dagger. Ranges are between the parantheses next to the ammunition or throwing property. The rate of fire is the number of attacks you make in a turn.

PnPgamer

Explorer
So, I was looking at the weapon list for 5E and found the Dagger and the Dart, but not the Knife. Are knives gone?

Also, what is the effective ranges for the 3 different weapons?

What is the rate of fire?

Does weapon specialization exist in 5E?

Thanks!!!!

Seems youve just come out of 2e cave?

Tuzenbach

First Post
Both weapons (dagger ad dart) have a range of 20/60.
Normal rate of fire is 1/turn.
There's no specialization, though feats can lead to some fun effects, and proficiency makes a difference.
There are no separate weapons called "knives" separate from daggers.

Ah, thanks for that! I appreciate your answers. Sadly, they're not the *right* answers. And by that I mean, whoever designed 5E wasn't detailed enough to get the job done. Yeah, I don't think I'll be purchasing the books from this current edition. So, when's 6E coming out? :p

Tuzenbach

First Post
Seems youve just come out of 2e cave?

Sort of. I got several of the 3.0 books back when they first came out, but realized my ADD made it difficult to read & learn the rules. You see, there were just too many colorful pictures! :p

I was active on these boards from around 2004 to 2006-ish, but then school and life got in the way. I remember being the person responsible for convincing Gary Gygax that he needed an avatar on these boards! Sadly, that series of posts may have gotten lost when Enworld crashed and much data was destroyed. LoL, I'm still looking for it!

But, yeah, back when I joined these boards, the knife was not my primary concern. Then I was looking into spell creation and class specialization. Custom classes & spells and all that. I never even bothered to check for knives on the equipment list for 3E, but specifically did not like the "cartoonish" nature of the weapon illustrations. I tend toward realism.

Thank you for your response!!! :D

Sacrosanct

Legend
Ah, thanks for that! I appreciate your answers. Sadly, they're not the *right* answers. And by that I mean, whoever designed 5E wasn't detailed enough to get the job done.

Huh? What do you mean? There's all the detail you want that answered your questions. 5e tells you what the ranges are, how many attacks you can do, and what options you can do to specialize pretty explicitly. I'm not sure what extra detail you think is missing.

Tuzenbach

First Post
;)
Huh? What do you mean? There's all the detail you want that answered your questions. 5e tells you what the ranges are, how many attacks you can do, and what options you can do to specialize pretty explicitly. I'm not sure what extra detail you think is missing.

Good sir, the designers simply got their details WRONG. That is all! ;)

Remove ads