D&D 5E Dark Sun, problematic content, and 5E…

Is problematic content acceptable if obviously, explicitly evil and meant to be fought?

• Yes.

Votes: 206 89.2%
  • No.

Votes: 25 10.8%

It is a very grim film in the end, but quite good from what I remember. About a brother and sister in Japan trying to survive as the war ends and things collapse around them leaving them to fend for themselves. Again it has been a long time since I saw it but back in the 90s it was something people would often show you to demonstrate that anime was not all like Akira or Ranma 1/2. Wish I still had this one on DVD (I lent it to someone and forgot to get it back
I was very moved by Children of Men. This gives me the same sort of vibe.

Irlo

Hero
Yes. And blurring the line between fantasy and reality is the position some people are arguing from here.
No, I don't agree that's a position people are taking. Objections to depictions of slavery, obejctions to descriptors and artwork of imaginary races ... those objections are NOT grounded in the idea that people can't distinguish fantasy from reality.

Irlo

Hero
By that I mean, you think you have found a loophole around what is essentially a basic democratic freedom. That is the source of the yikes. If you are trying to curtail the expression of another, regardless of how honourable you think your position is, you are working against this principle.
Wait. Whose expression is being curtailed by pointing out the WotC won't be publishing an update of Dark Sun because of the sensibilities of their player base?

MGibster

Legend
No, I don't agree that's a position people are taking. Objections to depictions of slavery, obejctions to descriptors and artwork of imaginary races ... those objections are NOT grounded in the idea that people can't distinguish fantasy from reality.
Anyone who argues that in a game you (the player) are killing, enslaving, dying, etc., etc., is certainly blurring the line between fantasy and reality.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads