• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DCC #8 Mysteries of the Drow (CLOSED)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Yes don't you get the monster lvls and character lvls hit points added together. I will look it up tommorrow.

HM

Dragonwriter

First Post
For ECL, you count HD and LA. If you are only counting the LA (but using the HD also), then your mummy will be far stronger than the rest of the group (in theory). If you only take the LA and do not use the racial HD, then you will be far weaker. That's how it goes (and technically, you aren't supposed to have just the LA and abilities, you're supposed to have the full ECL).

Voda Vosa

First Post
Yes, that's why I said I couldn't use the character at these levels. I could go with a weaker undead I suppose. What I was talking about was using the LA only, as a HR, but that's our holly DM's call.

Theroc

First Post
If you use the LA only, you will NOT have the D12 HD, as those HD would be added to the ECL. If the HD is houseruled as not counting towards ECL, well... you'd be massively stronger than everyone else, most probably. I'd also likely want to play with a different concept if Telos ends up proving ineffective in the adventure, since I'm sure I could come up with interesting ideas with RHD+LA characters, particularly when only their LA counts toward ECL.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
it would be nice if the mummy class had a lvl adjustment listed but will try and work something out.

a mummy lord is a mummy with 10 lvls of cleric and is CR 11 so if you took and 1/2 all his racial/class lvls you get 4d12/5d8 (max hp 88) so he would be "advancing" to become a mummy lord

The undead traits make him a little more powrful than your average character so would need to figure oout a drawback to that.

Still in the thought process so please throw me out some ideals.

HM

Voda Vosa

First Post
The undead traits makes it more powerful but has it's own drawbacks. Also the mummy has fire vulnerability. Additionally, the fact that it's a rot corpse plays against it if it's not fighting.
You could restrict it's domains, for example, to death, earth and evil for example; could limit his weapon proficiency to just his lame slam attack, or make him not able to use armor, or some magical items. The possibilities are unlimited.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Oh I'm all about give and take VV ;)

Just list the things you really want to keep for the mummy and what you think you don't need.

Off the top of my head I think you don't need heavy armor or shield prof.

Also are you thinking traditional Egyptian mummy or something else, this is a one shot adventure so I don't have a real patheon but we could make a god or two up.

HM

Walking Dad

First Post
If you want an undead feeling, you could play a necropolitan (from the undead sourcebook) and describe him as a mummy... not the powers, but no LA or monster HD (but they loose one level...).

Remove ads