D&D 4E DDXP 4E Rules Appendix

Voss

First Post
hennebeck said:
Let's hope you have a sane DM.
A day is one cycle for your adventurers. If they can push on for 48 hours, then they push.
But thats both sub-optimal and completely optional. Barring pressing time issues cropping up in the adventure, there isn't any reason to do so.

When they sleep after 2 days, their HP reset, their AP reset and they get their daily powers back.
If players want to fight for 5 mintues, and then sleep for 6 hours, then they get all their stuff back.
But I won't play in a game that lets players do that, nor do I want to play with people that exploit the game like that.

Meh. I used extreme examples to make a point, but the basic question still stands. If you have an 'extended rest' that overlaps days, how does it work? If you've rest from 10 pm to 4 am, adventure for 12 hours and want to rest from 6pm to midnight, can you? Or have you used up that day's rest?

And before someone says '24 hours', there are settings, worlds and planes that do vary in what constitutes a day. Even discounting unreasonable amounts, I've seen everything from 20-34 hours.

And I bring this up because it was a huge, exploitable loophole in 3e at higher levels. Planeshift and planes with variable time coefficients were easy to mess with. Barring that, I don't want to see these rules to be what they were in 3e- handwaved away or a way for the DM to deny the wizard his abilites with random encounters. Except now that would work for everyone's daily abilities.

Last edited:

Ximenes088

First Post
Voss said:
And I bring this up because it was a huge, exploitable loophole in 3e at higher levels. Planeshift and planes with variable time coefficients were easy to mess with. Barring that, I don't want to see these rules to be what they were in 3e- handwaved away or a way for the DM to deny the wizard his abilites with random encounters. Except now that would work for everyone's daily abilities.
Even presuming that planes with convenient temporal coefficients exist in 4e, I can hardly imagine that the process is any easier than teleporting- and teleporting has been clearly labeled as difficult, expensive, and much more cumbersome than in 3e. So sure, shift to the Demiplane of Plot Time to quick-rest. The ritual takes 18 hours to perform, 40,000 gold worth of ingredients, and can only be performed someplace you aren't.

As for what constitutes '24 hours', it's not sensible to give steely rules about it just so the corner case of people sleeping 6 hours, dumping everything, and then declaring it's a 'new 24 hours' to sleep another 6 hours. The spirit of the rule is that you sleep once a day. I don't recall many DMs having difficulty with the legions of once-a-day powers and magic items that existed in 3e, so they can just import those skills to this version. The rules don't need to be larded with special cases for the use of players and DMs who get into an exegetical arms race.

Voss

First Post
Ximenes088 said:
Even presuming that planes with convenient temporal coefficients exist in 4e, I can hardly imagine that the process is any easier than teleporting- and teleporting has been clearly labeled as difficult, expensive, and much more cumbersome than in 3e. So sure, shift to the Demiplane of Plot Time to quick-rest. The ritual takes 18 hours to perform, 40,000 gold worth of ingredients, and can only be performed someplace you aren't.

Don't know about that. It sounds that epic characters will be wandering off to the corner bakery in Sigil as a matter of course.

As for what constitutes '24 hours', it's not sensible to give steely rules about it just so the corner case of people sleeping 6 hours, dumping everything, and then declaring it's a 'new 24 hours' to sleep another 6 hours. The spirit of the rule is that you sleep once a day. I don't recall many DMs having difficulty with the legions of once-a-day powers and magic items that existed in 3e, so they can just import those skills to this version. The rules don't need to be larded with special cases for the use of players and DMs who get into an exegetical arms race.

Steely? No, but sensible, coherent ones would be a nice change. It doesn't need to be 'larded'- just a straightforward definition of a day- whether its a simple midnight cutoff or something else consistent, regardless of environmental variables... or time travel, for that matter.

Ahglock

First Post
One think I noticed is that you can't move through a square occupied by an enemy. I'll go out on a limb and assume there is more information later on that has exceptions, like if trained in the acrobatics skill you can, but the DC is X. I'm not a fan of you cant's, I prefer you can but this is what happens if you do. But I think this is just a basic version of the rules so they could play the adventure so I don't even know if its a you can't in the main rules.

Stalker0

Legend
Kobold Avenger said:
Here's one of the feats that were previewed a while back:

First Reaction
Tier:
Paragon
Benefit: If you are surprised, you may spend an action point to act during the surprise round.

Considering what we know about action points now, this seems like a pretty weak feat imo.

You only get an AP every other combat, and since combats are much longer getting surprised doesn't seem as big of a deal. Just my initial reaction of course, only time will tell.

LostSoul

Adventurer
keterys said:
... the other feats on the same page, actually.

I guess we disagree.

Toughness: 34 extra hp over the course of 30 levels. Nice, but nothing that a 1st level Fighter can't take away in one attack. ;)

Alertness: Combat advantage doesn't mean as much as flat-footed ("sneak attack" damage is way down).
+2 to a skill, nice, not amazing.

First Reaction: It's very nice to be able to avoid surprise.

Golden Wyvern: I need high WIS to take advantage. Otherwise a nice feat.

Remove ads