Deathly Hallows - Guesses

kingpaul

First Post
I just finished the series in anticipation for Deathly Hallows, and I had a bizarre thought. What if the way for Harry to defeat Voldemort is to forgive him? Dumbledore was always talking about how love is the most powerful magic out there.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I sure hope it's not that simple, or JKR is going to have to go into hiding.

I'm thinking that Harry has to die for Voldemort to be defeated, that his scar is Voldemort's last horcrux.

drothgery

First Post
frankthedm said:
Harry is the last horcrux and to save the world he has to die.

Eh. That's a popular theory, but I don't buy it (having just finished a similar re-read).

Voldermort definitely tried to kill Harry at the end of Goblet of Fire, and again at the end of Order of the Phoenix (after he knew the prophecy had been destroyed). And he definitely was trying to kill Harry when he killed James and Lily (either that or he was lying to someone he thinks he's about to kill in Chamber of Secrets, which seems rather silly).

And I've decided Snape makes no sense. He hasn't acted in a way that's consistent with good-but-mean Snape (who wouldn't have tormented Harry anywhere near as much, or given up on the Occlumency lessons, would have told him exactly whose old potions book he had, and really ought to have found some way to not kill Dumbledore), Death Eather Snape (who would have killed Harry long ago, or more efectively done when Barty Crouch Jr. did in GoF), or Snape-out-for-what's best for Snape (who would never have agreed to an Unbreakable Vow).

Crothian

First Post
kingpaul said:
I just finished the series in anticipation for Deathly Hallows, and I had a bizarre thought. What if the way for Harry to defeat Voldemort is to forgive him? Dumbledore was always talking about how love is the most powerful magic out there.

That would rock!! It's just so out of left field it would be awesome!! :lol:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
drothgery said:
And I've decided Snape makes no sense. He hasn't acted in a way that's consistent with good-but-mean Snape (who wouldn't have tormented Harry anywhere near as much, or given up on the Occlumency lessons, would have told him exactly whose old potions book he had, and really ought to have found some way to not kill Dumbledore), Death Eather Snape (who would have killed Harry long ago, or more efectively done when Barty Crouch Jr. did in GoF), or Snape-out-for-what's best for Snape (who would never have agreed to an Unbreakable Vow).

He's deep-cover Snape, determined, even ordered by Dumbledore, to act the part fully until the time is right to take Voldemort down even if that means he might be maneuvered into directly attacking Dumbledore himself. But, that's primarily after Voldemort is reborn. Until that time, Snape is a forgiven man (forgiven by Dumbledore) but still fundamentally a titanic jerk with lots of grudges. He wouldn't be interested in killing Harry, not being an evil man to the core, but torment him by using his power in a juvenile way? Oh, yes. Most definitely.
Viewed like that, Snape makes sense.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Here is my prediction; the ending will disappoint a lot of people and piss people off and folks will grumble how the series really hit a high point at PoA and has been down hill since.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I sure hope it's not that simple, or JKR is going to have to go into hiding.

Just you watch, the climax of the series will be Harry giving Voldemort a big ol' hug, and everyone will break into song.

Chimera

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Just you watch, the climax of the series will be Harry giving Voldemort a big ol' hug, and everyone will break into song.

If the whole HP story ended with a huge hugfest and forgiveness for Voldemort, who suddenly becomes a repentant good guy...

The world isn't big enough for JKR to hide. The British SAS would get her very quickly. If only to stop the flow of assassins looking for her.

That being said, I think the last book and movie is going to be a Musical.

Steel_Wind

Legend
The scar is the last Horcrux. That does not mean, however, that if Harry dies it is put beyond Valdemort's reach. Valdemort can just take it then.

I think JKR means to kill off Harry to bring the series "closure". What emotional baggage she's carrying which possesses her to believe that this is the best thing to do is not entirely clear - but I'm pretty sure that's where she's going.

I think she will kill Harry off in a way in which Harry does not *actually* die.

The best method for this is the one she has already shown us - the one way gate to the World Beyond in the Ministry of Magic.

Just as happened to Sirius Black. Harry will not be ALL dead - but MOSTLY dead.

And that will be the end of that.

In fact, I'm so resigned to this or a similar ending that the question to me is not if Harry dies as I am convinced he will. The question is whether or not one of Ron and Hermione will die as well.

If that were to happen, it would annoy me greatly.

Remove ads