Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen: It Lives!

The Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen from WotC (as opposed to the largely unpopular Tyranny of Dragons one from Gale Force 9) is due out this month. WotC's Trevor Kidd returned to the office after the holiday break, and provided this photo which shows that the screen exists and is ready for lift-off! Plus, a shot of the interior!

The Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen from WotC (as opposed to the largely unpopular Tyranny of Dragons one from Gale Force 9) is due out this month. WotC's Trevor Kidd returned to the office after the holiday break, and provided this photo which shows that the screen exists and is ready for lift-off! Plus, a shot of the interior!

Priced at $14.95 and releasing on January 20th -- "Manage your campaign with this indispensable Dungeon Master accessory for the world’s greatest roleplaying game. The red dragon Thraxata the Flamefiend and her kobold minions confront a party of intrepid adventurers, who protect their ranger as she attempts to finish the fight by using a legendary arrow of dragon slaying meant specifically for this red wyrm. This durable, four-panel Deluxe Dungeon Master’s Screen, lavishly adorned with illustrations inside and out, will enchant and inspire players and the Dungeon Master. Its landscape design allows the Dungeon Master to easily see beyond and reach over the screen, even as it keeps die rolls and notes hidden from players. Tables inside provide essential support for the three pillars of play–combat, exploration, and interaction–to Dungeon Masters of all skill levels."

For more D&D schedule information, look right here.

dms.jpg

2014-11-07-13.53.18.jpg

Photo from dicejockey.com

dmscreen.jpg

Photo by Luke Niedner

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Weeeell, there's plenty of picture space on that far right panel to cover up with whatever else we need. I have previously printed off certain tables etc and just stuck them straight onto prior screens, covering up less useful stuff (eg: cover rules+2 or +5 or cant target, not too hard to remember). And I dont really like that tarresque picture. I do LOVE the b&w pictures though!

turkeygiant

First Post
I have a feeling the Tyranny of Dragons Screen was so limited in its content because WotC didn't want it to compete with their official one. It could really only ever be used as a reference for that one story arc, where this one works with every game of D&D,

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
It doesn't appear as information dense as I would like, but it is attractive, and I do appreciate having some artwork on the interior. The art breaks things up and can make finding a specific table a little easier. I'll pick it up and probably use it for a while.

The charts and information I want will likely change over time as I gain more mastery over the system. Inevitably I'll return to a customizable screen. But that's fine.

Also, the "Something happens" chart is cool.

WotC_Trevor

First Post
I have a feeling the Tyranny of Dragons Screen was so limited in its content because WotC didn't want it to compete with their official one. It could really only ever be used as a reference for that one story arc, where this one works with every game of D&D,
If I remember correctly (2014 was sooooo long ago) we weren't done with the core books yet and didn't want to put something in there that we might have to change.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I like how it has some white space so that information is easier to find. The nice thing about 5e is that there isn't that much that truly needs to be on a screen. I like the less is more approach.

Vael

Legend
It is a sign of how much lighter the 5e ruleset is that you can put art on the DM's side of the screen. That's a good thing, as long as there isn't anything vital missing.

Agamon

Adventurer
I don't use screens, but if I did, I'd much prefer function over form. The DM's side should be nothing but information, with perhaps tiny pieces of art where there isn't enough room to put more info. From the pics shown, there is a lot of wasted real estate. The art is for the player side.

And if there's isn't enough info to fill 4 sides, a 3-sided screen would be a better option.

Nice art.

I wish they'd package DM screens with a short adventure or something -- I don't use a DM screen, so except for adding another item to my D&D collection there's no reason for me to buy it.

Tormyr

Hero
I could see the Something Happens table as a lighter way of using the Plot Points DMG option. Whenever one of the players wants to change things up and use a plot point, the say "Something Happens," and the DM rolls for it and uses the result in the story.

Remove ads

Remove ads