• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Design & Development: Warlord Article UP!

Bishmon

First Post
Kaodi said:
I do not know if it has been said yet, but I hope the Warlord gets some powers that do not require melee attacks.
Well that just wouldn't be any fun.

I suppose I'm only half-joking. It's nice that support classes don't just have to stand in the back and spend all their turns on everyone else, but it does seem like they're taking it in the opposite direction where all support actions are now keyed off making attacks. At least from the example powers we've seen in the Design & Development articles and most the the D&D Experience stuff.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well "Feather Me Yon Oaf" as far as we know, I don't believe required a attack first to trigger.

Also I suspect Warlords will have a nice number of Utility Powers that will be really handy and Utility will of course not require an attack.

MaelStorm

First Post
Kaodi said:
I do not know if it has been said yet, but I hope the Warlord gets some powers that do not require melee attacks.
For attack powers, I think there's a strong possibility that the class will get some ranged buffing and damage, plus Warlord will get utility powers just like other classes.

@Vagabundo. All for one, and one for all!

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Remathilis said:
You want to try the same tactic over and over? Ok, but its going to fail you eventually. You want to over-rely on one spell? Well, it might sap your body and mind.

Ta.
Or use an action point. Would be a sweet house rule.

Cheers, LT.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
Or use an action point. Would be a sweet house rule.

Cheers, LT.

I would say if your using that house-rule it should be 2 action points. Using the same Daily Power twice is REALLY powerful and should have more of a cost. So they should have to go through the extra trouble of fighting for two encounters before earning that second action point to spend on that extra Daily Power.

D'karr

Adventurer
Fallen Seraph said:
I would say if your using that house-rule it should be 2 action points. Using the same Daily Power twice is REALLY powerful and should have more of a cost. So they should have to go through the extra trouble of fighting for two encounters before earning that second action point to spend on that extra Daily Power.

Yeah, and when that Solo Dragon gets to do the same, "the suffering will be legendary, even in hell."

Jon Wake

First Post
Dausuul said:
Yeah, actually, I did and do. And I've hated Vancian casting since the days of red box/blue box. The sins of the old edition do not excuse the sins of the new.

I'm prepared to accept the 4E dailies as "metagame narrative," but I still wish they'd found a logical non-metagame explanation. I do not appreciate anything that pushes the players away from making decisions in-character and encourages them to focus on the metagame.

Yeah, except that if WoTC changed all these factors, a very good case could be made for the game being 'not D&D', as opposed to the shrill nerd scream of rage that deserves mocking and rebuke now.

If you really hate per day abilities so much, there are many other games out there that are much better suited to your play style. GURPS (at least for sub 500 point games) works fantastically well. Castles & Crusades is a lovely system.

Huge swaths of D&D have never made any in-world sense. Or you've had to break out the mind-caulk to get them to work. The problem evaporates when you realize that D&D is not built to be all things to all people.

shadowguidex

First Post
Warlord thinks to himself: "Every time the beast dips its shoulder, it tries to disengage"

Warlord tests his theory with a vicious attack just at that moment and confirms his suspicions.

Warlord to Fighter: "When he dips his shoulder, press the attack"

OR:

Warlord thinks to himself: "Every time the beast dips its shoulder, it tries to disengage"

Warlord tests his theory and the beast sidesteps his maneuver - the shoulder dip this time wasn't a tell.

Warlord to Fighter: "I see no hidden weaknesses"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads