• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Design & Development: Warlord Article UP!

Fallen Seraph said:
I would say if your using that house-rule it should be 2 action points. Using the same Daily Power twice is REALLY powerful and should have more of a cost. So they should have to go through the extra trouble of fighting for two encounters before earning that second action point to spend on that extra Daily Power.
Then it would be a double house rule, cos you can only use 1 AP per encounter ;)
But I agree, another use of a /day power is too much for an AP. If it is not already in I will HR that you can use an AP for a re-roll of a failed attempt of your daily (i.e. attack roll misses) cos it is real sucky when your big power misses, my players really didn't like that in our little 4E play test. I mean really didn't like it- not one hit with their /day powers in the whole thing :eek:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
Then it would be a double house rule, cos you can only use 1 AP per encounter ;)
But I agree, another use of a /day power is too much for an AP. If it is not already in I will HR that you can use an AP for a re-roll of a failed attempt of your daily (i.e. attack roll misses) cos it is real sucky when your big power misses, my players really didn't like that in our little 4E play test. I mean really didn't like it- not one hit with their /day powers in the whole thing :eek:

Do Reliable Daily Powers get the chance to reroll? or Daily Powers with an Effect (if Effect is something that happens no matter if it is hit or miss)? Or Hit and Miss Daily Powers?

Since then, for Effect it be mainly for the damage only and for Reliable, well they can just use it again. Also with Hit or Miss something happens even when you miss, so can they reroll to get a Hit or since they didn't completely "miss" do they not?

I mean what I said- HR 'use an AP to re-roll a /day power attack'. Like the luck domain power in 3E, simple. It is not that useful for some powers (such as reliable) but if you want to use an AP to re-roll a reliable powers attack roll help yourself.
Edit: the re-roll happens before the effects of the power are applied; you use the result of the re-roll whether it is better or worse than the first roll- it in effect becomes the roll for that power. I will use it just cos my players ALL missed their /day power attack rolls during the entire mini adventure -therefore not happy bunnies!

Jon Wake said:
Yeah, except that if WoTC changed all these factors, a very good case could be made for the game being 'not D&D', as opposed to the shrill nerd scream of rage that deserves mocking and rebuke now.

If you really hate per day abilities so much, there are many other games out there that are much better suited to your play style. GURPS (at least for sub 500 point games) works fantastically well. Castles & Crusades is a lovely system.

Huge swaths of D&D have never made any in-world sense. Or you've had to break out the mind-caulk to get them to work. The problem evaporates when you realize that D&D is not built to be all things to all people.
Just because someone doesn't like one aspect from D&D doesn't mean that another system that lacks this aspect will automatically be better suited for him. Because I am pretty sure that despite my reservations on Vancian magic, 3rd edition D&D was still one of the best - if not the best - game suited for me. I don't care about "traditional" D&D or any stuff like that. I want to find the system that works best (from the existing ones) for me and my group. In the past, that has been 3.5, and it looks like in the future, it will be D&D 4E. It doesn't have to be. I would have been perfectly happy if anyone came out with a system totally unrelated to D&D that works just as well - but that didn't happen yet. And might never will, since considering the resources (human as financial) of WotC, they are still the most likely to create a good game...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
So, if a power disallows you to shift, it doesn't mean your movement is restricted. It just means that due the circumstances, you are under so much pressure that you can't move careful enough to avoid an Opportunity Attack. In a way, this power creates "difficult terrain" (shifting on difficult terrain is usually impossible in 4E, barring - as always - exceptional powers and abilities.)

I can think of other restrictions that it creates though.

For instance - if an enemy is adjacent to a fighter it can shift (and incur an OA from the fighter) or move (and incur an OA from the fighter which prevents it from moving).

So a creature which is prohibited from shifting could end up with no way of moving away from a fighter at all!

Then there is things like the ranger per encounter ability "Fox's Cunning" which allows them to shift and attack as a reaction to being attacked themselves. Oops, if you can't shift then a large portion of the benefit of that ability goes away.

I'm just saying that there are a number of knock-on effects which we know *already* as a result of something being denied a shift...

Cheers

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Fallen Seraph said:
4e mechanics/rules has its leanings more towards narrative/story-building. Where the rules and mechanics are there to allow players to influence and engage in a narrative storyline through a world not as heavily dependent on strict rules to govern the way it works.

With all due respect, I have the exact opposite impression. To me, it seems 4th edition is a glorified tactical boardgame with stricter, more contrived rules. There's nothing more narrative about 4th edition combat than 3rd edition, that I can see. It seems to me that it's just the opposite. 4th edition has more emphasis on the board and the strict rules that make the boardgame simulation work, and much less concern for the narrative of the battle.

KarinsDad said:
And this "extremely difficult" chance/luck situation occurs whenever the Warlord deems it necessary. hehe. Gotta love those "Laws of Probability" breaking Warlords.

You don't even see how off in right field your explanations sound, do you? They sound rational to you, right? Or are you just pulling my chain with this stuff? I gotta admit, it's very imaginative. :)

this make me think. in Larry Niven discworld it was hypothesized that luck was actually a kind of psionic power, following from that 4e martial classes are not really martial, but psionic and have the power to alter fate to mkae come up some increduibly inprobable circustances, but not for more than once for day.
When a fighter, warlord or rogue use an encounter or daily powers what he is actually doing is use his latent psionic powers to alter probabilities so that the circumstances necessary to make their tecniques works come up, some powers can be reused after just a little rest, other can be attempted only after a longer rest.
Hey, as rationalizations goes this is as good, if not better, than any other I've heard. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads