Devil worship as a brand

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You know, I've never for a minute considered that those books were marketed to anyone under the age of 20?

E.T. the Extra Terrestrial, came out in 1982. Not a single character seen playing the game in that film was in their 20s.

This is before your FLGS was common. The books were marketed to anyone who walked into a hobby shop or the sci-fi section of a bookstore, or some comic book shops in the 1970s and early 80s. That included a lot of adolescent and teenage geeky boys.

Mallus

Legend
I think playing up the heavy metal angle --which is related to Satanism, right?-- while marketing D&D is a great idea.

And I say this as someone who wasn't into metal back when they were getting into D&D.

Ulrick

First Post
I would market it like TSR did back in the 1980s with AD&D 1e as a "Game of Adult Fantasy" for "Ages 10 and up."

Adults wouldn't feel like they're playing a kids game, and teens and pre-teens would feel like their playing something adult. Let the audience themselves chose whether or not they can "handle" the game.

Rygar

Explorer
Why stick to one demographic? Go full bore. Kre-o toys for kids, cool models for teens, a Michael Baysplosion hackfest movie or three. Fantastic.

Thing is, once you've tapped into that, then you can really start to go wild. Do you think we would have gotten a live action Marvel tv show without the movies first? The only way we could get Wonder Woman on the big screen was to have a few big tent movies milk the cash cow. If the last Superman movie had tanked, then forget about it.

Go full blitz media.

I think this is an important statement and an interesting proposition.

If one thinks of D&D as a "Chasis", and the setting/theme specific stuff as the "Body", it's possible to envision any IP as a D&D variant. You could theoretically have a Transformers, GI Joe, or even Harry Potter setting. You could have Anime, Heroic, and Gritty play.

Theoretically speaking, WOTC could use D&D as a platform for any number of experiences, each targetted at different demographics. WOTC could turn D&D into a platform much like the X-Box or Playstation.

That would solve many of the concerns about trying to appeal to different demographics and playstyles.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I don't know. To me, this sounds as if someone was trying to turn D&D into Vampire: the Masquerade in the 1990s.

To me, the path would be that someone who started with D&D moved into V:tM as they grew older. I can see a group of D&D-playing friends move into V:tM and maybe pick up some new people.

I don't see a group of adults who don't roleplay picking up V:tM. I do see a group of youngsters who don't roleplay picking up D&D and trying it out. And heroic fantasy just works better with that age group. That's the age group that falls in love with Dragonlance and Raistlin and Driz'zt.

I guess it really all depends on how people come to D&D. I think that the GoT mechanism might be good for existing adult D&D players to attract new adults. However, I don't see it working to add new groups who are unconnected to previously-existing groups.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Perhaps it is not a question of which audience to target, but rather increasing brand recognition by making television ads where (young) adult friends gather to roleplay a number of different genres.

One could focus on an Assassin's Creed-esque mission, while another could focus on a crime-solving film noir mystery, and the next on 'classic fantasy'. I imagine they'll show some people who tell their stories around a table while the image changes to their characters 'doing their thing' in the respective worlds.

Showcasing the versatility and freedom that is inherent in (tabletop) RPGs and using the best-known brand thereof, D&D could interest all sorts of people who are even remotely interested in roleplaying, fantasy, or co-op games; kids and adults alike.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I've seen variations of the idea in the OP mentioned in several places, and this is my first chance to set out my personal response:

If the only way for D&D to be successful is to market it as "Satan's Game", then not only does the game deserve to die, I'll shed no tears for its death. :)

I really don't think that's the only way, or even the best way, to market D&D. Heck, I'm wondering if we're heading for a backlash against all the grittiness and nihilism, and D&D might be better served trying to capture people who have grown up on things like Adventure Time, MLP: Friendship is Magic and Monster High.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Similarly, the comic book companies keep trying to reinvent themselves to be a children's medium, like they were a long time ago. It never works, but they keep trying it over and over.

Actually, DC Comics has acquired quite the negative reputation for focusing like a laser on the "male, 20-40" demographic over the past few years.

EnglishLanguage

First Post
Please no. I've only started D&D recently, but the whole satanic vibe is what put me off of it for the longest time, and even today I still have idiots who assume I'm slipping into satan worship because I'm playing a freakin roleplaying game. My first experience with D&D was playing as a Cleric for crying out loud.

Remove ads