D&D 5E Dex mod tp damage when using ranged weapons: Please do away with.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I'm not sure on the matter of using bonuses for to hit and damage, or just one, or neither, but I think there's an elegance to having Str associated with some weapons and Dex with others, whether that be through said bonuses or via ability requirements.
To prevent Dex becoming an uber-stat there are a couple of options. Make heavier armour actually provide a superior AC, even compared to Dex 20. Have initiative separated from ability checks in some manner (indeed, weapon speeds are tempting initiative modifiers here). Allow shield-users to use strength instead of dexterity for saving throws. Lots of ideas.

Mallus

Legend
Pathfinder does this perfectly without giving bonuses to damage from anything other than strength. There is a specific weapon property that allows a PC to add their dex mod to damage.
Why is making DEX-to-damage a weapon property instead of a basic character property more desirable?

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Give a dex bonus to crossbow bolt, and blow dart to hit and damage.

I think crossbows should have a built-in Str bonus to damage that is part of its mechanical components and has nothing to do with the wielder's Strength. Crossbows have always been suboptimal weapons because they never got a Str bonus to damage, even though the mechanical components give them quite a bit of strength.

Blow darts should just deal 1 damage, IMO. They were never about being lethal weapons by themselves. Their real purpose is to inject poison into the target.

ren1999

First Post
I think crossbows should have a built-in Str bonus to damage that is part of its mechanical components and has nothing to do with the wielder's Strength. Crossbows have always been suboptimal weapons because they never got a Str bonus to damage, even though the mechanical components give them quite a bit of strength.

Blow darts should just deal 1 damage, IMO. They were never about being lethal weapons by themselves. Their real purpose is to inject poison into the target.

This is a difference in our thinking. Part of this group is reasoning that when the character uses a crossbow that his dexterity allows him to cause greater damage by focusing on critical areas.

Sure, blow darts need only do 1 damage. I currently set it at 1d4 just so a die could be rolled.

ren1999

First Post
Here is a list of finesse weapons and why I think they should be dex based and not strength.

Weaker characters never rely on their strength. They use lighter and thinner weapons focusing on critical exposed armor-less areas.

Fighters can focus on strength-based bashing.

A dagger can not be used as a strength based weapon. It is small and is only used to attack exposed areas. The opponent does not defend with his ac when trying to dodge an attack to his critically exposed valuable parts. So this should be a dexterity contest.

This allows rogues and characters with a high dexterity to use a weapon that is suitable to their ability.

axe-spike, dirk, dagger (dex vs dex) 1d4 damage.
thin sword (rapier) 1d6 damage. dex vs dex.
curved sword (katana, scimitar) 1d8 damage. dex vs dex.

SuperZero

First Post
The opponent does not defend with his ac when trying to dodge an attack to his critically exposed valuable parts. So this should be a dexterity contest.

What? Why not?

It is more difficult to target my unarmored parts when I am wearing plate armor than it is when I am wearing no armor. That is the purpose of wearing it, after all.

ren1999

First Post
What? Why not?

It is more difficult to target my unarmored parts when I am wearing plate armor than it is when I am wearing no armor. That is the purpose of wearing it, after all.

Ah! So fighters should invest a bit in their dexterity training. An exposed eye has no armor and that crossbow bolt is seeking that eye.

SuperZero

First Post
...And aiming at that eye, precisely, is harder than aiming at a target.

Trying to hit the unarmored parts is harder when the opponent is wearing armor and there are less of them. I'd say that an armor bonus to avoid being hit makes more sense against these attacks, if there's any difference at all.

Remove ads