• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Did I invent this NPC ability?

BryonD

Hero
Please help me find something.

I've been using an NPC power for a variety of homemade characters. I've given commander NPCs the ability to use a bonus action to allow one of their mooks to make an extra attack on the commanders turn. I've typically made it a recharge 5-6 ability. It works well.

I would swear I copied it from one of the early WotC items. But I wanted to go compare how I've been doing it lately to the original source, and I can't find it anywhere.

Any help?

Aribar

First Post
Different 4E classes and monsters had that ability. Parts of the Warlord was built around it. Different Leader monsters like the Duergar Raid Leader (standard action to have an ally attack) or Underlord (move and attack as minor), Fang of Yeenoghu (all allies in 5 square burst attack), and more had attack abilities. Others had the ability to move as a phalanx, shift attacks to adjacent allies, and other neat things as well.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Sounds like something the Warlord could do.

But it pretty much is the Commander's Strike maneuver from the Battlemaster subclass maneuvers list. THere's nothing there about a recharge though.

EDIT TO ADD: And Im not familiar with what early items were out, but strikes me as something a Rod of Lordly Might would let you do.

BryonD

Hero
Thanks! I kept looking through the adventures and the the MM. I was thinking it was on an NPC. But that has to be it.

Eejit

First Post
Gnoll Pack Lord has something along those lines:

Incite Rampage (Recharge 5- 6). One creature the gnoll can see within 30 feet of it can use its reaction to make a melee attack if it can hear the gnoll and has the Rampage trait.

Remove ads