• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disarm too Easy?

Chairman7w

First Post
Disarm (ESPECIALLY if they have Improved Disarm) seems awful easy.

I think it should be necessary to make a touch attack first. What do you guys think?

Crothian

First Post
well, the biggest issue for a disarm oriented character is the same as sunder, not that many oppoents have weapons so the option is not that useful

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Chairman7w said:
I think it should be necessary to make a touch attack first.
And where's the difficulty in that? Most (but not all) creatures have a comparatively lousy touch AC.

The improved disarm and improved sunder mechanics are easily abused to the point that both become far too easy. Something that the game will need to address in whatever form its next incarnation takes.

Chairman7w

First Post
> Darkness wrote: And where's the difficulty in that? Most (but not all) creatures
> have a comparatively lousy touch AC.

Yeah, that's a good point. Hhhhhmm, I guess I'll stick with it as written. Aaahh, but I'll have the BAD guys do it too! :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Chairman7w said:
Yeah, that's a good point. Hhhhhmm, I guess I'll stick with it as written. Aaahh, but I'll have the BAD guys do it too! :)

You mean your BAD guys don't do that? Shame on them! Few things are more fun than disarming PCs of their favorite weapons. Other than disarming them of their favorite weapons, tripping them, and then having the bad guy actually hit them with their weapon :]

Nifelhein

First Post
I don't think it is a big problem because of the reasons they spoke of and also, remember that a guy with a two handed weapon ahs a good advantage, if he is large... make him disarm them. ;)

The problem develops when D&D combat turns into trips, disarms, sunders, and grapples, rather than regular attacks. Pretty soon, every battle follows the same format and every bad guy needs to be tricked out to counter the same ol' tactics. It gets boring pretty fast.

Nifelhein

First Post
I don't think that is a issue for most people, since having all enemies wield weapons is not the usual game I would meet, any monster that bites, tears, reds or the like is not on the scope of those abilities.

As long as you have variation no problem will arise, if your campaign is mostly hman, would suggest making those feats drop the AoO and nothing else. The bonuses seem to be there to give the wielders and edge against a larger creature or a larger weapon of the defender.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads