D&D 5E Disarming spellcasters?

Hi,

Maybe it's obvious but... the DMG disarm rule allows knocking a weapon or another item from a target's grasp with an contested ability check (Athletics or Acrobatics). Wizards are notoriously bad at Athletics and probably are not stellar at Acrobatics as well. Is this a valid technique to disarm the focus/component pouch (and using a move action to get away, with the focus taken as part of the move action... a wizard unarmed opportunity attack is worth it) ? Is it within the "grasp" of the spellcaster for disarming purpose? I have never seen my players carrying multiple arcane focus... Would you allow disarming spellcasters at your table? As a player, would you find this tactic unfair?

Edit: since I am the DM, "ask your DM" won't help me. I am just asking if it is "fair" once in a while, to make some fight a little more memorable. I have already had disarming NPCs disarm fighters (once or twice, not every single attack...) but it felt more "expected", maybe because of the name of the rule...

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
If the variant rule is allowed, then you're using a variant rule and need to talk with your DM about how it works - because there are no official answers for variant rules outside of grid and feats.

That being said - D&D is an RPG. A role playing game. Characters play a role in a story. We want to make those good stories. "Cheese" where a PC continually uses the same tactic to fight enemies, such as constantly disarming them, does not tell a good story. To that end, I take tactics like this and put them on a deck of a cards. When other DMs hand out inspiration, I hand out one of these cards. A player may use the card to allow any PC to attempt the designated action so long as that PC and the situation meet the prerequisites. The fun tactic can be used, but only rarely.

These are generally things that you see in action movies, but are not covered by the rules. Some relate to combat, some relate to social interaction, some relate to spellcasting, and some relate to exploration. Some are built on a tactic that we want to allow once in a while, but not all the time. Others rely upon lucky breaks (such as a table an enemy is standing upon breaking under their weight). Others are wounds that we don't want to see all the time, but sometimes are good to add to the drama. They have use restrictions, and generally involve a die roll.

tommybahama

Adventurer
To that end, I take tactics like this and put them on a deck of a cards. When other DMs hand out inspiration, I hand out one of these cards. A player may use the card to allow any PC to attempt the designated action so long as that PC and the situation meet the prerequisites. The fun tactic can be used, but only rarely.

Can these be traded between players? Like the cleric gets a weapon attack enhancement card and trades it for a spell buff that the rogue got? And when is your Kickstarter campaign coming out? I think you have a product idea on your hands.

I'm all for it. Never happened, but I would allow it. Heck, I might even have an NPC try it against a caster. Of course, most times NPCs get that close to a caster in combat its just better to damage them that it is to take away a focus, etc. One is dead, one just limits their actions.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
By the rules, if you are using the disarm option, then a Wizard could have their spell focus disarmed (according to Sage Advice: Do you have to hold an arcane focus in your hand to use it? · D&D Sage Advice). This is just a danger they face. Note that Clerics (or other divine casters) do not have this weakness as their focus is not required to be wielded. As for their spell components, the pouch isn't wielded but they need a free hand to manipulate the components for the spell. You could not disarm their spell components because they would technically only be in hand when they are casting the spell.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Broke: ignoring the enemy spellcaster's focus or spell component pouch, and letting him waylay you constantly with spells every single round.

Woke: the rogue darting in and pretending to attack, but actually using Sleight of Hand to steal the enemy's arcane focus or spell component pouch.

Bespoke: the rogue darting in and pretending to attack, but actually using Sleight of Hand to steal the enemy's arcane focus or spell component pouch, and replacing them with counterfeits.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Hi,

Maybe it's obvious but... the DMG disarm rule allows knocking a weapon or another item from a target's grasp with an contested ability check (Athletics or Acrobatics). Wizards are notoriously bad at Athletics and probably are not stellar at Acrobatics as well. Is this a valid technique to disarm the focus/component pouch (and using a move action to get away, with the focus taken as part of the move action... a wizard unarmed opportunity attack is worth it) ? Is it within the "grasp" of the spellcaster for disarming purpose? I have never seen my players carrying multiple arcane focus... Would you allow disarming spellcasters at your table? As a player, would you find this tactic unfair?

Edit: since I am the DM, "ask your DM" won't help me. I am just asking if it is "fair" once in a while, to make some fight a little more memorable. I have already had disarming NPCs disarm fighters (once or twice, not every single attack...) but it felt more "expected", maybe because of the name of the rule...
I rarely use the action options in the Dungeon Master's Guide against the players unless it's completely obvious to do so.

My players have the option to use them, but they don't come up as often as you would think.

Important to note that unless there's a creature able to snatch up the spellcasting focus before the spellcaster's next turn, the spellcaster's able to simply pick up the dropped focus in tandem with their movement and action.

It requires coordinated effort in order for a disarm to be anything other than just a momentary annoyance.

Remove ads