Discovery and Star Trek

Hussar

Legend
I think you may have missed the main point of the article [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION]:

But here’s a thought that may seem controversial, depending on your take on Star Trek: maybe the showrunners are right, and Discovery doesn’t need to worry about making its story fit every other existing Trek series.

Ultimately, Discovery needs to be good on its own, with strong characters and storytelling, and not a glorified Wikipedia entry that explains where Spock was 10 years before he met Kirk. If it can win fans and build a world while fitting in with the rest of the franchise? All the better. But it seems like the best course of action is to let Discovery focus on being the best show possible, and worry about the consequences later.

I think it's a surprise to no one that I pretty much agree with everything the article says.

CapnZapp

Legend
I’ve largely given up trying to discuss the show other than a brief comment about new episodes.
A suggestion (that perhaps should go into Meta), to add "plus" and "minus" threads.

It's obvious you are frustrated with people that are... frustrated by the show, and I did start this as a thread of my own instead of posting in the "discovery trailer" thread that has become a main ST:DISCO thread (which I can only access using the EN World app).

How about letting people start threads with names like "ST:DISCO [+]" where any post chiefly detailing percieved shortcomings and flaws with the show will be considered off-topic and moderated as such? :)

Of course, the mods aren't supposed to strike down on every little criticism - nobody is every 110% happy with a show. But the plus sign signifies that if you don't agree with the basic premise of a thread as established in the first thread, you're supposed to move on, rather than dump your dissent in the thread.

And conversely, letting me suffix a "[-]" to this thread, signaling to Hussar and others that discussing why he is fed up with people nitpicking the show is not the intended topic and indeed not a welcome one?

I should add that I plan to start many more plus threads than minus threads. In my opinion, the frustration you express here - over Discovery - is shared by me in regards D&D issues such as magic item pricing in the general 5th edition forum, and to be honest, I hesitate posting my thoughts simply because very hostile and very derailing commentary has been allowed to remain unmoderated, in at least one case leading to the closure of the thread when any constructive response is drowned in negativism to the point where I got suckered into throwing pies rather than staying on topic.

Having plus and minus threads would do wonders to make this place, your home, an even friendlier place :)

Best regards,
Zapp

PS. Let me add a link to the existing (old) Meta suggestion thread on this subject when I have time.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think you may have missed the main point of the article [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION]:
No I did not.

You might have missed* that I indicated exactly what question I considered the article author to fail at answering, and then I posted commentary quotes that does address the question and provide possible answers for us to discuss.

*) somehow.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A suggestion (that perhaps should go into Meta), to add "plus" and "minus" threads.

It's obvious you are frustrated with people that are... frustrated by the show, and I did start this as a thread of my own instead of posting in the "discovery trailer" thread that has become a main ST:DISCO thread (which I can only access using the EN World app).

How about letting people start threads with names like "ST:DISCO [+]" where any post chiefly detailing percieved shortcomings and flaws with the show will be considered off-topic and moderated as such? :)

Of course, the mods aren't supposed to strike down on every little criticism - nobody is every 110% happy with a show. But the plus sign signifies that if you don't agree with the basic premise of a thread as established in the first thread, you're supposed to move on, rather than dump your dissent in the thread.

And conversely, letting me suffix a "[-]" to this thread, signaling to Hussar and others that discussing why he is fed up with people nitpicking the show is not the intended topic and indeed not a welcome one?

I should add that I plan to start many more plus threads than minus threads. In my opinion, the frustration you express here - over Discovery - is shared by me in regards D&D issues such as magic item pricing in the general 5th edition forum, and to be honest, I hesitate posting my thoughts simply because very hostile and very derailing commentary has been allowed to remain unmoderated, in at least one case leading to the closure of the thread when any constructive response is drowned in negativism to the point where I got suckered into throwing pies rather than staying on topic.

Having plus and minus threads would do wonders to make this place, your home, an even friendlier place :)

Best regards,
Zapp

PS. Let me add a link to the existing (old) Meta suggestion thread on this subject when I have time.

I know what they are. We have talked about them before. I've even used it a couple of times on these boards. I might try starting one, though it might be too late in the day now.

Hussar

Legend
No I did not.

You might have missed* that I indicated exactly what question I considered the article author to fail at answering, and then I posted commentary quotes that does address the question and provide possible answers for us to discuss.

*) somehow.

But, it was answered. That you don't like the answer doesn't mean it wasn't answered. The reason to use a known IP is to give it immediate recognition. The reason not to be tied down by (often contradictory) canon is because it makes for a poorer show.

I mean, good grief, Star Trek continuity is about as solid as Doctor Who continuity. There are so many holes and contradictions that it isn't even funny. I mean, seriously, there are any number of godlike beings wandering around in the Trekverse. Any contradictions can easily be pinned on one of them.

Why are klingons different? Q did it. A Q did it. Why did he/she do it? Who knows? Maybe it was Tremaine. Maybe someone wandered through the Guardian of Forever and changed history. Maybe someone took a spin around a sun and changed history.

Let me ask it a different way. How would the show be improved by slavish attention to canon? Should we be using card reader computers? In many ways the technology on TOS is lower tech than what we have right now. Makes sense in a FIFTY year old SF show. So, we should ignore that and make sure that all the tech and materials adheres to something made before many viewer's GRANDPARENTS were born?

Oh, and let's not forget some of the ... ummm... less than culturally aware elements of the time as well. Original Klingons were white actors in what amounts to blackface made up to look vaguely Asian:

latest

This doesn't ring any alarm bells for you? The script for "Errand of Mercy specifically calls them out as "Orientals". Maybe we should be keeping that in no? It's canon after all. :uhoh:

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Let me ask it a different way. How would the show be improved by slavish attention to canon?
I know my answer: it wouldn't be.

Should we be using card reader computers? In many ways the technology on TOS is lower tech than what we have right now. Makes sense in a FIFTY year old SF show. So, we should ignore that and make sure that all the tech and materials adheres to something made before many viewer's GRANDPARENTS were born?
Yeah, I understand the allure & desire for canon, but sometimes a thing has to be what it is (note my use of the Buckaroo Banzai School of Rhetoric...). Star Trek *is* a television and film franchise that's gone on for 50 years. It is *not* a set of accurate documents from a real independent future history (whatever the hell that is). So obviously there will be jarring elements w/r/t both technology and cultural attitudes as the franchise ages. How could there not be? A Trek for 2017 is made for an audience that carries talking computers in their pockets and can watch animated children's shows at least as, if not far more progressive than TOS's most daring episodes.

Unless we make Trek into a period piece... about the future. Which is cool in small doses, like the Voyager pulp SF serial pastiche on the holodeck whose name escapes me.

Original Klingons were white actors in what amounts to blackface made up to look vaguely Asian.
Definitely Mongolface. No question.

Issues with Discovery's adherence to the "spirit" of Trek are totally fair and open for debate. But nitpicks about the tech? I think they're interesting only when asking the broader question: what role does technology play in quintessentially Star Trek-style storytelling?

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
"what role does technology play in quintessentially Star Trek-style storytelling?"

It breaks down in order to allow plots to occur.
Good answer!

edit: plus the popular variations...

Tech works - with unforeseen consequence so the plot occurs, ex. something Wesley built for school, holodeck.

Tech doesn't work - for episode-specific reasons so the plot isn't resolved before the opening credits roll, ex. replicator, transporter.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I like Discovery. But if Discovery did not exist I am not sure I ever would have watched The Orville for a reminder of what Star Trek used to look like.

Kaodi

Hero
I also thing that the strangest thing about Star Trek in general is that any new stories are based on a timeline for humanity that is now 50 years out of date. Yes, they can easily clean up the technology implications of that with handwaving. But any time you want to refer to human history there is a very large chunk that is just not going to ring true anymore.

Remove ads