• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do Fighters Still Suck?

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Because many others do like it, as I showed in my post. You can't get everyone to like everything. That way lies madness.

but in this case you can... you can have the champion fighter at the same table as an eldritch knight and a battlemaster, and there is no reason we can't make a Warblade subclass that has 6 levels of special abilities you can pick 2 every 3 levels (starting at 3) and give them special attacks some that give all sorts of little things...

Sacrosanct

Legend
How is that shifting the goal post?

"Only for new players" - It's a relatively low complexity, easy class to play with limited options.

"Players who don't care as much about in combat options" - Fighters have less mechanical combat options. If you want more combat options, it's not as good of a choice.

"Or character variation." - Fighters, again, have less mechanical options, most of which any character can do. If you want a character that plays different, you're not going to want a pick a fighter.

What part of that is false?

Because as I already said, and someone else backed it up as well, that there are plenty of people such as us who like the fighter and are not new players, nor are we people who "don't care about combat options or character variation." Not sure why I have to repeat this, but "combat options" are not limited to what's on your character sheet and "character variation" is more on what archetype you want and how you play your character, which isn't tied to a class at all. I'm not sure why you are finding this hard to understand.

No wonder GMfPG keeps giving you XP on all of your posts, because you both seem to have this assumption that unless you have an ability for it, you don't have options to do it. I'm here to tell you, for decades our B/X PCs didn't have any of these options, and yet we still did pretty much everything we wanted to, martially. You keep getting hung up on mechanical options you can do because they're provided to you as a choice option defined in the book. Also, the "any class can do the same thing" is not accurate either, entirely. A magic user (typically low STR, DEX, and/or CON) isn't going to be able to have near the success chance of a fighter to do all of those things I mentioned earlier because they're typically related to ability checks dependent on STR, DEX, or CON.

Not to mention the complete fallacy of an argument that if you play a PC with less defined mechanical options as another, that means you don't care about options. There are lots of reasons I play PCs of varying races and classes.

I don't know how much more clear I can make this. YOUR PC IS NOT SOLELY DEFINED BY HIS OR HER DEFINED ABILITIES OR POWERS

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
what if we want to keep the champion as an option but also have a class/subclass more for me and mine...
I think that is fine, and is why I supported the champion being a subclass rather than a hard-baked "this is the fighter" and anything else being pushed into the realm of "not a fighter" by being part of some other class.

I only wish that I could tell the difference between the subclass that was intended to be "for" you and yours missing the mark and you and yours being overly demanding, as that would help me to help you join me in having gotten what was wanted - but alas, you say what you wanted wasn't given by the battle master, and when I look at what you wanted and what the battle master is, they look like the same thing to me (which to be clear is evidence of my point of view, not that you don't count the battle master as what you wanted because you are being overly demanding).

imabaer

First Post
Because as I already said, and someone else backed it up as well, that there are plenty of people such as us who like the fighter and are not new players, nor are we people who "don't care about combat options or character variation." Not sure why I have to repeat this, but "combat options" are not limited to what's on your character sheet and "character variation" is more on what archetype you want and how you play your character, which isn't tied to a class at all. I'm not sure why you are finding this hard to understand.

No wonder GMfPG keeps giving you XP on all of your posts, because you both seem to have this assumption that unless you have an ability for it, you don't have options to do it. I'm here to tell you, for decades our B/X PCs didn't have any of these options, and yet we still did pretty much everything we wanted to, martially. You keep getting hung up on mechanical options you can do because they're provided to you as a choice.

I don't know how much more clear I can make this. YOUR PC IS NOT SOLELY DEFINED BY HIS OR HER DEFINED ABILITIES OR POWERS

Oh, look, shifting the goal posts. How ironic.

I assumed I didn't have to include "as it reads in the official set of rules that I assume people use", because that would be picayune, and yet, here we are.

Note the word "mechanical". If you want to start houseruling more martial things that the fighter can do that aren't actually in the rules, more power to you. If you use the rules as written and intended, fighters have less options. It's not even a matter of debate, as you started trying to split hairs with another poster about how complex more options actually was.

From what I can gather, you are the only person in this thread referencing custom rules. And if you're not, then yes, what your PC can do IN COMBAT is SOLELY DEFINED BY HIS OR HER DEFINED ABILITIES OR POWERS, because that's the rule system as written.

And there's a reason I used a qualifier. You modified my quote to not include "as much", which is funny, because, how did you put it? Oh, here it is:
Funny thing about quotes, we can go back and look at them.

Everything is relative. If you want more options, Fighter is not the best choice. Unless you house rule more options in.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I won't argue your other points, but...
"Or character variation." - Fighters, again, have less mechanical options, most of which any character can do. If you want a character that plays different, you're not going to want a pick a fighter.
Just because any character can be a Soldier or Outlander or whatever doesn't mean picking a Background or atypical skill or feat doesn't make your Fighter any less differentiated /from other fighters/. Within the class itself, you can fairly seamlessly choose DEX vs STR as your primary combat stat and ranged vs melee as your preferred combat focus, that's actually been kinda a long time coming for the fighter, and it's nothing to sneeze at. Then you've got combat styles, and two out of three archetypes with a little something to do in addition to attacking every round. Spell/maneuver choice can further differentiate EKs/Battlemasters, as well. It's not nearly as customizeable as the 3.x fighter was, but it's a bit more viable to make up for it.
YOUR PC IS NOT SOLELY DEFINED BY HIS OR HER DEFINED ABILITIES OR POWERS
Bold & all caps won't actually make that more relevant. Sure, your PC with few abilities is not solely defined by those abilities. Similarly, another PC with many more abilities is not solely defined by has long list of kewl stuff. You're both defined by how you play them and what you accomplish with the tools you've got. He's just got more tools to start with. That's all.

If you want to start houseruling more martial things that the fighter can do that aren't actually in the rules, more power to you. If you use the rules as written and intended, fighters have less options. It's not even a matter of debate, as you started trying to split hairs with another poster about how complex more options actually was.
From what I can gather, you are the only person in this thread referencing custom rules.
5e's basic resolution system is nothing more nor less than: player describes action, DM describes results. So there's no house rule required to say "I pick up the halfling holding the pike and throw him point-first at the ogre." (Well, the pike would be house-ruled if a halfling's wielding it, but that's not the point - npi, dammit, npi.) It's just up to the DM to rule what happens. He can say "the pike runs the ogre through and the confused halfing is left sitting on his chest" or "the ogre yells 'fore!' and hits the flailing halfling with his greatclub, sending him flying off the bridge and into the Gorge of Eternal Peril" or "Roll to hit - with advantage for such an audacious move!" or "Roll to hit, with disadvantage because halflings are poorly-balanced for throwing" or "fine, Colossus, make a strength check..."

Of course, that should also illustrate why having a selection neatly-defined option can be kinda nice...

I disagree. The complexity is not significantly different.
Complexity is the price you pay for more options and greater flexibility, not the goal, itself. The battlemaster does pay a price in complexity, and neo-Vancian casters do pay a higher price. Whether you consider the difference between choosing 3 maneuvers once at 3rd level & 3 more later, 'significantly' less complex than prepping 3 spells at first level and more each and every level, with new spells opening up every other level, is, of course, a matter of opinion, but the difference in complexity is inescapable - choosing 6 from a list of 17 over 20 levels and possibly revising one of those choices at each level, is simply less complexity than choosing 25 or so, from a list of hundreds, over 20 levels, and revising that choice every adventuring 'day.' That's 4x as many choices, from about 20x the number of alternatives, revised approximately 13x as often, for, very roughly & conservatively (leaving out gating by level, or wizards learning spells, for instance), 1000x the decision points.
1000x as much of something is simply not 'significant' in your opinion.
You're entitled to that opinion.

Of course, that's indicative not just of the price paid in complexity, but of the flexibility and versatility that complexity buys. The Battlemaster starts out with nothing more than the Champion in that sense, gains 3 maneuvers at 3rd level, presumably the 'best' 3 of the 17 available for his 'build' or concept, then uses those same three maneuvers heavily for the rest of his career. The player becomes very familiar with them and when best to use them, making it simpler (in the sense of easy more than the sense of absolute complexity) to play the character as time goes on. A caster, OTOH, is always opening up new spells and new spell-levels and can completely change the spells he has available to use each morning, giving him much more versatility - he can simply choose not to vary his spell load much, and become familiar with the spells he prepares, though he gains another every level, so even a willfully-simple approach is more complex and versatile than the Battlemaster.

The point that the non-casting Fighter, especially the Champion, but even the Battlemaster, is presented as a simple, arguably the simplest, character alternative in the PH. In the 5e design philosophy, that's one of the class's strengths, and it accomplishes the goal of making the game more accessible to new players who need a 'training-wheels' class and who come to the game wanting (or at least willing) to play a character concept the fighter can handle.

You don't have to argue the fighter is something it isn't to defend it. It stands on it's own merits: high DPR, reasonable toughness and 'training wheels' simplicity.

no, we do outside the box stuff based on the situation, but that is equal to the whole player base, the most common things we do are those things on our character sheet though, and as such the more of a caster you are the more options you have (you don't loose any ability to improvise by getting those character sheet choices).
But, you do 'lose' the opportunity - the need - to improvise by having more & better options. If you have 11 prepared spells that range from utility to single-target guaranteed damage to blasting to buffing to single-target control to battlefield control, plus a couple of direct-damage cantrips for rounds when there's nothing much that needs doing, you're rarely going to be without a good option. When you are, you might improvise an 'off label' use of one of those spells or some 'outside the box' action based on the situation and the environment, instead of 'plinking' with a sub-optimal cantrip. If you have 3 maneuvers, each strictly combat-oriented, single-target-DPR, with a rider, you'll more often find yourself in situations where none of those maneuver apply, and thus have more 'opportunities' to resort to improvising something 'out side box' based on the situations & environment, instead of just pressing your high-DPR multi-attacking.

but we have high fantasy examples of both, can't the non magic casters get a few high fantasy options?
That's another issue from fighter suckage, entirely. Casters don't just get the kind of high-fantasy 'options' that casters in genre do. Virtually any supernatural ability ever displayed in fantasy fiction or pop-culture fantasy & sci-fi is represented by a D&D spell, and each caster class has access to a lot of those spells, which work prettymuch automatically every time (no checks to cast successfully or backlash or timing requirments, just expend the slot and the spell happens, damage inflicted, saves forced, effects created &c). It's not that fighters can't do the things non-casters do in genre - they have mechanics to model the basics (defeating enemies in combat using a weapon, however it's done, is modeled in D&D by attacking and inflicting damage), be visualized as doing more, and can improvise to fill in the gaps, depending upon how the DM rules - it's that (neo-)Vancian casters do a lot more than corresponding character types in genre generally display (Sorcerers get closer to the standards set by genre, though).

is there any of those things that a fighter gets options of that the ranger, or wizard or cleric doesn't... no of course not...
After 3rd, the battlemaster gets maneuvers that those classes can't precisely duplicate (though I suppose you could 'fake' a battlemaster maneuver by improvising), and, after 5th, can do 2 such maneuvers in one round, while only the ranger gets an extra attack. The EK, starting at 3rd, can cast spells that only the wizard, of the classes from that list, can.

what if we want to keep the champion as an option but also have a class/subclass more for me and mine...
The Battlemaster and EK take that about as far as it can be. Want more fightery options than the EK, you need another class. Otherwise you'd have to have a sub-class that re-writes the base class (which is equivalent to just creating a new class), /and/ you'd be adding a land-mine of complexity to the edition's new/casual- player, 'training wheels' class.

Last edited:

Leugren

First Post
OK, you like one thing I like the other, there is room for both. Right now you could play your way but my fighters don't have the options I need... is there any reason we can't have both?

Not at all. I was simply taking exception to the notion, intended or implied, that fighters as designed are tactically uninteresting to all but novice players. I have never found this to be the case in any edition, and I tend to be one of the most tactical players in any of the groups I play with.

I am all for giving options that heighten people's enjoyment of the game; you don't need to make blanket statements to help you win your case. People take offense, and suddenly you're in a rathole.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Oh, look, shifting the goal posts. How ironic.

What shifting of the goal posts am I doing? I've been consistent the entire time in my position that a character isn't defined by only what is a clearly defined ability on a character sheet. You're the one who said only people who don't care about options or character variation would play a fighter. And then shifted your goal posts to talk only mechanical options (which was still a fallacy)

Note the word "mechanical". If you want to start houseruling more martial things that the fighter can do that aren't actually in the rules, more power to you. If you use the rules as written and intended, fighters have less options. It's not even a matter of debate, as you started trying to split hairs with another poster about how complex more options actually was.

From what I can gather, you are the only person in this thread referencing custom rules. And if you're not, then yes, what your PC can do IN COMBAT is SOLELY DEFINED BY HIS OR HER DEFINED ABILITIES OR POWERS, because that's the rule system as written.

Have you even played 5e? You do realize that I'm not talking about any houserule. In 5e's context, there are things like the DC mechanic that handles 99% of what I was talking about. Wanna do something not on our sheet? Have the DM come up with a DC based on the guidelines and go to town. That's not a custom houserule.
And there's a reason I used a qualifier. You modified my quote to not include "as much", which is funny, because, how did you put it? Oh, here it is:

I didn't modify your quote. I quoted directly in my original quote, and again in post 53. Either way, it's beside the point because it's still wrong. You've had two of us come right out and say that we prefer fighters and not for the reasons you gave. It literally has nothing to do with not caring at all, or "as much" about options.

You made a claim ascribing peoples' motivations who like fighters. People who like fighters said you're wrong in your assumptions. That's it. You even doubled down in your fallacy on post 60* And rather than admit you were wrong in your assumption, you're spinning in circles trying to change your argument to mean something other than what you said.

*""Players who don't care as much about in combat options" - Fighters have less mechanical combat options. If you want more combat options, it's not as good of a choice."

Not true. Lots of people play fighters and also like options. Several reason include but are not limited to: 1) they like the class, 2) options aren't limited to a defined ability

"Or character variation." - Fighters, again, have less mechanical options, most of which any character can do. If you want a character that plays different, you're not going to want a pick a fighter."

Also not true. Character variation is more defined by how you as a player play your PC than a class. A single fighter can be a swashbuckler, soldier, knight, bruiser, etc. Not to mention personality differences. If fact, a statement like this displays a tremendous amount of ignorance to how people played D&D for the first 25 years of it's existence before feat bloat came with 3e.

Shiroiken

Legend
but in this case you can... you can have the champion fighter at the same table as an eldritch knight and a battlemaster, and there is no reason we can't make a Warblade subclass that has 6 levels of special abilities you can pick 2 every 3 levels (starting at 3) and give them special attacks some that give all sorts of little things...
Correct. My original post was aimed at the OP, who asked if the fighter still sucks, and gave examples of no one playing it. I gave examples of many other people playing (and enjoying) the fighter. It may not be perfect, but it will appeal to the broadest number of players. Some people, however, will never be happy, no matter how many sub-classes and variants are made.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Currently rocking a lvl 9 BMfighter 1barb and does he suck no he certainly don't hes a reliable DPR monster between GWM GWF and savage attack i got re-rolls for days and static damage through the roof not only that but with sentinel and pole arm master he exerts control of his space like no other our caster sits right behind me and is untouchable from melee.Yes he sucks at skills but after all he is "the fighting man"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads