• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do Fighters Still Suck?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Datapoint from tonight's game (3 encounters into the day):
  • Gnome wizard: 31 points of damage
  • Elven warlock: 49 points of damage
  • Dwarven druid: 32 points of damage
  • Warforged Monk: 43 points of damage
  • Human cleric: 40 points of damage
  • Human fighter: 126 points of damage

Big difference-maker: human fighter has a spider staff (+1d6 poison damage on a hit), and has two feats that give him significant numbers of extra attacks: Sentinel and Polearm Master. This plus significant numbers of weak enemies in one of the encounters spiked his damage considerably - a lot of creatures were triggering reaction attacks.

Out-of-combat utility provided by the monk, warlock, druid, and wizard; only "non-skill check" ability used there was Wild Shape (which was used to make skill checks).

imabaer

First Post
What shifting of the goal posts am I doing? I've been consistent the entire time in my position that a character isn't defined by only what is a clearly defined ability on a character sheet. You're the one who said only people who don't care about options or character variation would play a fighter. And then shifted your goal posts to talk only mechanical options (which was still a fallacy)

Have you even played 5e? You do realize that I'm not talking about any houserule. In 5e's context, there are things like the DC mechanic that handles 99% of what I was talking about. Wanna do something not on our sheet? Have the DM come up with a DC based on the guidelines and go to town. That's not a custom houserule.

I didn't modify your quote. I quoted directly in my original quote, and again in post 53. Either way, it's beside the point because it's still wrong. You've had two of us come right out and say that we prefer fighters and not for the reasons you gave. It literally has nothing to do with not caring at all, or "as much" about options.

You made a claim ascribing peoples' motivations who like fighters. People who like fighters said you're wrong in your assumptions. That's it. You even doubled down in your fallacy on post 60* And rather than admit you were wrong in your assumption, you're spinning in circles trying to change your argument to mean something other than what you said.

*""Players who don't care as much about in combat options" - Fighters have less mechanical combat options. If you want more combat options, it's not as good of a choice."

Not true. Lots of people play fighters and also like options. Several reason include but are not limited to: 1) they like the class, 2) options aren't limited to a defined ability

"Or character variation." - Fighters, again, have less mechanical options, most of which any character can do. If you want a character that plays different, you're not going to want a pick a fighter."

Also not true. Character variation is more defined by how you as a player play your PC than a class. A single fighter can be a swashbuckler, soldier, knight, bruiser, etc. Not to mention personality differences. If fact, a statement like this displays a tremendous amount of ignorance to how people played D&D for the first 25 years of it's existence before feat bloat came with 3e.

I have been talking about Fighter in-combat options this entire thread; due to you purposely ignoring assumed details, I've had to explicitly label what I've been talking about because you're being a mixture of condescending, presumptive, and plain wrong.

You are now posting customs skill checks as a means of Fighters having more mechanisms in combat. That does not change the fact that they have less RELATIVE options, as literally anyone can do that. Just about any of the stats can be used to dictate a custom action, with the exception of Constitution, as it tends to be more passive.

I'm sticking to what I said: if more options is a priority, Fighter is not the best fit for that. You have an entire thread full of people basically agreeing that fighter is less complex and have less options, but their argument is "it doesn't matter." Which I agree with. You play a fighter when you want to play a fighter, not when you want versatility in combat.

Let's take a single spell, Conjure Animals. You can summon flying creatures, pack tactics creatures, creatures to help engage multiple targets, large creatures to ride, creatures with blindsight, creatures that can restrain at will, strong creatures that can grapple, creatures that can poison. You cannot possibly say with a straight face that the sheer number of possibilities does not give you more mechanical combat options than a Fighter will ever have on his own. The action economy alone balloons your options, let alone the many things a fighter just plain cannot do without outside magical help.

Let's take another more straightforward spell, Fireball. You can hit multiple targets in a set radius as long as you have a level 3 slot. Without an item or a very specific environment, a fighter is not going to be able to replicate that. Maybe after he gets 3 attacks at level 11, at which point the wizard is brainwashing enemies to fight for you, teleporting around the battlefield, ignoring status effects, giving allies superhuman abilities, countering other magic effects, or basically using one of the dozens of other spells available to him.

Magic gives you more options, period. Of the martial classes: going Rogue gives you way more skill options that you can feasibly use in combat, especially if you're trying to cite custom actions. Going Barb is generally seen as more complex; at the very least, Barbarians have more specialized builds. Monks and Rangers are arguable, mainly because EK is a thing.

3/4 of the classes have more combat options, the last 1/6 of them are about equivalent, and without EK, I'd argue it would be in Monk/Ranger favor. Whether or not you try to use skill checks in battle, Fighters have LESS to work with than the vast majority of the classes.

imabaer

First Post
I won't argue your other points, but...Just because any character can be a Soldier or Outlander or whatever doesn't mean picking a Background or atypical skill or feat doesn't make your Fighter any less differentiated /from other fighters/. Within the class itself, you can fairly seamlessly choose DEX vs STR as your primary combat stat and ranged vs melee as your preferred combat focus, that's actually been kinda a long time coming for the fighter, and it's nothing to sneeze at. Then you've got combat styles, and two out of three archetypes with a little something to do in addition to attacking every round. Spell/maneuver choice can further differentiate EKs/Battlemasters, as well. It's not nearly as customizeable as the 3.x fighter was, but it's a bit more viable to make up for it.

5e's basic resolution system is nothing more nor less than: player describes action, DM describes results. So there's no house rule required to say "I pick up the halfling holding the pike and throw him point-first at the ogre." (Well, the pike would be house-ruled if a halfling's wielding it, but that's not the point - npi, dammit, npi.) It's just up to the DM to rule what happens. He can say "the pike runs the ogre through and the confused halfing is left sitting on his chest" or "the ogre yells 'fore!' and hits the flailing halfling with his greatclub, sending him flying off the bridge and into the Gorge of Eternal Peril" or "Roll to hit - with advantage for such an audacious move!" or "Roll to hit, with disadvantage because halflings are poorly-balanced for throwing" or "fine, Colossus, make a strength check..."

Of course, that should also illustrate why having a selection neatly-defined option can be kinda nice...

Good points about Str. vs. Dex. And yeah, while I've seen Dex Paladins, they're not nearly as common, nor are they an optimal build. Dex Fighters can be pretty sexy.

Battlemaster... I really wish I could like it more, but I'll admit I'm a bit biased against it. 4-5 dice/short rest until level 15 seems a bit miserly to me, considering the effects are single target and some of them scream to be comboed with others. And because you are short handed on dice, it tends to be a bad idea to use them on the weaker effects, which artificially cuts your maneuver list. Compare this to the monk, who's got 10 Ki points by level 10, and one of the best status effects in the game to boot (Stunning), and some really unique things to use Ki on.

In the end, my biggest objection is still that you don't get a whole lot of mechanical payoff for staying with the Battlemaster or Champion. You hit a little harder and swing a little more accurately as you level, and considering you're supposedly the master of swordplay (or bow play or mace play), it's really disappointing to have the same potential for 10+ levels: you don't come up with new and special ways to hurl allies, or break things, or to use the environment to your advantage, you just get better at them.

Custom actions vary from party to party, game to game, and fight to fight. If all your allies are medium, you don't get a halfling fastball special (unless you're large). If your DM doesn't agree with how strong you are, you may not be able to break something. They require approval to be legal, whereas magic and PHB actions are legal by default. Granted, your DM should be working with you if it's a fun idea, but there's significant limits to what you can pull off.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend

Big difference-maker: human fighter has a spider staff (+1d6 poison damage on a hit), and has two feats that give him significant numbers of extra attacks: Sentinel and Polearm Master. This plus significant numbers of weak enemies in one of the encounters spiked his damage considerably - a lot of creatures were triggering reaction attacks.

Out-of-combat utility provided by the monk, warlock, druid, and wizard; only "non-skill check" ability used there was Wild Shape (which was used to make skill checks).

Optimised fighter with magic weapon vs most of the weaker gamage deling classes. How would he compare to a Barbarian using great weapon master+polearm master, A sharpshooter ranger (both with magic eweapons) or something similar? And those classes get out of combat stuff as well.

MYV

First Post
I've played a fighter for most of my D&D career, spawning from 1st edition to 5th.

While paladins and barbarians fill a role and are quite powerful this time around, fighters are absolute monsters.
The require some optional rules tho.
for example the really shine with feats, since they have the chance to pick up a few, opposed to other classes...
the can easily max stats before other classes

if you use the flanking rules they become ridonkulous.
imagin a battlemaster, greatsword fighting with the feats, with advantage.... hes ALWAYS gonna use the -5+10 feature and is gonna get more attacks (both superior extra attack and feats like sentinel and polearm master). his dmg is gonna be like at least double the dmg of a paladin.... on a regular basis
the paladin can burst once or twice, but the fighter can too with his action surge
I've had rounds of advantage vs a prone target where i "power attacked" with action surge more that 8 attacks (3+3+reaction+bonus); to get close to that a paladin needs to pop most resources. A fighter can do it every short rest.

The sinergy between the manouver precision attack, the GWF feat and multiple attacks is very high, and outdamges anything.
Add to this high defenses from AC and defensive feats (remeber a human fighter can max both str and con and still get 4 feats).

IMO fighters are only going to get better as they add feats in new content

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Differences in personality, backstory, and specific "fluff" have little to no bearing on the Fighter class. *Every* class can play with a spectrum of origins. *Every* character can have numerous possible personalities. *Every* character can be made perfectly unique. The Fighter class is neither better nor worse for that than any other class--so the fact that you can engage in those things has zero bearing on whether the Fighter "sucks" or not.

IMO fighters are only going to get better as they add feats in new content

Uh, have they added any new feats? I had been under the impression that the supplements only added spells. (Despite nobody complaining about spell bloat.)

Personally, I think your analysis leaves a bit to be desired, simply because getting all the stuff you speak of requires many levels (no less than level 6, higher if you want good Str), ally cooperation, optional rules, and an underestimation of the capacities of other classes. (Paladins, for instance, can certainly "burst" more than once or twice a day--and careful management, particularly if they focus on getting crits, can give them utterly insane damage potential just like the Fighter.)

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend

Optimised fighter with magic weapon vs most of the weaker damage dealing classes. How would he compare to a Barbarian using great weapon master+polearm master, A sharpshooter ranger (both with magic weapons) or something similar? And those classes get out of combat stuff as well.

Fighters are good at dealing damage but so are bladelocks, Rangers, Paladins, Barbarians. I think I had a Ranger deal around 120 damage in 3 rounds instead of 3 encounters on Sunday.

Zardnaar

Legend
Currently rocking a lvl 9 BMfighter 1barb and does he suck no he certainly don't hes a reliable DPR monster between GWM GWF and savage attack i got re-rolls for days and static damage through the roof not only that but with sentinel and pole arm master he exerts control of his space like no other our caster sits right behind me and is untouchable from melee. Yes he sucks at skills but after all he is "the fighting man"

I said the Battlemaster Fighter was the best one and you are using optional feats and one of the power combos and you are multiclassed as well. Multiclassed fighters are a bit different (Fighter1/Warlock 9 for example). How do you make a Valor Bard better?Start as a fighter (1). How do you make a Bladelock better? Start as a fighter. Fighter 1 is a sexy level dip for the amount you get.

Fighter1/Warlock19 advantage on all attacks, saves, skill checks, disadvantage to get hit (foresight), +25 temp hit point, deal 25 points of damage when hit (armour of agathys), +1d6 bonus damage to all attack (hex lasting 24 hours), strength and charisma to damage, better at range via eldritch blast with more attacks than the fighter except when that fighter eventually hits level 20.

From level 1-0 fighters seem outclassed at damage by several classes and even after that they seem to lack a significant advantage all the way to level 20. Its not like damage is all that either as a Paladins charisma bonus to all saves is gonna be kind of good.

Last edited:

MYV

First Post
Differences in personality, backstory, and specific "fluff" have little to no bearing on the Fighter class. *Every* class can play with a spectrum of origins. *Every* character can have numerous possible personalities. *Every* character can be made perfectly unique. The Fighter class is neither better nor worse for that than any other class--so the fact that you can engage in those things has zero bearing on whether the Fighter "sucks" or not.

Uh, have they added any new feats? I had been under the impression that the supplements only added spells. (Despite nobody complaining about spell bloat.)

Personally, I think your analysis leaves a bit to be desired, simply because getting all the stuff you speak of requires many levels (no less than level 6, higher if you want good Str), ally cooperation, optional rules, and an underestimation of the capacities of other classes. (Paladins, for instance, can certainly "burst" more than once or twice a day--and careful management, particularly if they focus on getting crits, can give them utterly insane damage potential just like the Fighter.)

a fighter can potentially go for the -5+10 once per manouver, plus all the advantage opportunities he has every short rest
(remeber one of the manouver, trip attack gratns advantage for the rest of the attack routine)
so lets say at least 6-7 times per short rest; thats 60-70 extra dmg every short rest
can a paladin use 8-10 spell slot on smites every short rest?

don't forget the action surge you can pop when you know you have advantage for the full round.

A paladin has definately much more utility and is VERY strong this edition.... but after the firts maybe 8 lvs he falls behind the fighter in terms of dmg.

From the tanking perspective there is no doubt that the barbarian is king, even better if you multiclass. Even tho all you need to stop a rage is a stun until the barbarian's 15lvl.

Zardnaar

Legend
a fighter can potentially go for the -5+10 once per manouver, plus all the advantage opportunities he has every short rest
(remeber one of the manouver, trip attack gratns advantage for the rest of the attack routine)
so lets say at least 6-7 times per short rest; thats 60-70 extra dmg every short rest
can a paladin use 8-10 spell slot on smites every short rest?

don't forget the action surge you can pop when you know you have advantage for the full round.

A paladin has definately much more utility and is VERY strong this edition.... but after the firts maybe 8 lvs he falls behind the fighter in terms of dmg.

From the tanking perspective there is no doubt that the barbarian is king, even better if you multiclass. Even tho all you need to stop a rage is a stun until the barbarian's 15lvl.

The Avenger Paladin can get advantage 1/short rest and do something similar and smite as well, the Barbarian can get advantage for multiple rounds several times per day. Assuming you use the same feats of course. Whatever feats the fighter can pick the others can as well and often do it better. Fighter with Polearm Master? Ranger with polearm master+colossus slayer+hunters mark.

IDK if action surge cancels out the extra 1d6 the others can get from hex/hunters mark let alone class features and nothing a fighter has comes close to something like the Paladins saving throw aura which more or less is proficiency in all saving throws and for your nearby allies.

The Battlemaster fighter is also the best fighter overall maybe beaten by the Eldritch Knight at the highest levels.

Not I do not dislike the fighter, I just don't think it is that good compared to some other classes. I almost rolled up a battlemaster a couple of weeks ago until I realised no one in the party took a healer so I took a Paladin with Inspiring leader and resilient. I'm not even convinced using your spell slots for smites is the best way to play a Paladin.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads