• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Flaming and Flaming Burst stack?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
A Flaming Burst Axe does +1d6 (for Flaming) and +2d10 (for Burst).

A Thundering, Shocking Burst Pick would do +1d6 Electric (for Shocking), +3d8 Sonic (for Thundering) and +3d10 Electric (for Burst).

-- Nifft

Angcuru

First Post
The way Burst weapons work is as such:
as flaming, but "Burst weapons deal 1d10 point of bonus damage on a successful critical hit." for every X past 2, an extra 1d10 is dealt, I.E. x3 = +2d10, X4 = +3d10.

So, the 1d6 for the flaming, sonic, whatever is always dealt, and if there is a crit, you add the d10's as well. So if you were to crit with a scythe, for example, you would deal base weapon damage + 1d6 + 3d10.

Tada.:rolleyes:

As for the argument that fire and cold enchantments etc. do not mix, I disagree. You could work it out several ways to describe why they would not negate each other.

1 - The fields of flame and ice surrounding the weapon could intertwine, but not actually come into contact with one another. Therefore the ice does not contact the flame, and vice versa. Instead, they simply repel each other, causing no ill effects.

2 - While on the weapon, the cold and fire enchantments swirl around the weapon, visually appearing to be battling one another, yet their elemental forces do not come into play until the weapon hits what it is swung at, at which point the fire and cold are emitted in a single instant, both chilling and burining the victim.

3 - They just work. They're magical, so you could say that "Magic finds a way."

Come to think of it, dealing fire and ice damage in the same blow should actually do more than just the individual damage for fire and ice. They're in antipode, you know? Ever add ice water and boiling water into a glass pitcher at the same time? The damn thing shatters. The effect should be similar for the damage of the weapon.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Angcuru said:
The way Burst weapons work is as such:
as flaming, but "Burst weapons deal 1d10 point of bonus damage on a successful critical hit." for every X past 2, an extra 1d10 is dealt, I.E. x3 = +2d10, X4 = +3d10.

So, the 1d6 for the flaming, sonic, whatever is always dealt, and if there is a crit, you add the d10's as well. So if you were to crit with a scythe, for example, you would deal base weapon damage + 1d6 + 3d10.

Tada.:rolleyes:

Where do you get that from, or is that a house rule? It doesn't say anything about adding multiple d10s damage.

kreynolds

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Cite?

The only mention of any of the spells not absorbing the first points of damage in a round is Endure Elements if Resist Elements is running.

You're missing the point. I'm saying that for one round, there is no overlap. For example, if one resist spell absorbs its damage, then immediately drops because it has aborbed its maximum for the spell, then the other resist spell is now the only resist spell going on the character. The second resist spell never stopped function. It simply didn't absorb any damage because another one was overlapping it. But now, there is no longer any overlap, as the first resist spell is gone, leaving the second as the only one on the character.

kreynolds

First Post
Kershek said:

It's all good. I figured that's how it worked for a really long time, but I didn't know about the errata or the Sage reply for a good long while, so I had no backup for my argument until last year (I think).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
For example, if one resist spell absorbs its damage, then immediately drops because it has aborbed its maximum for the spell

Resist Elements doesn't have a maximum, it has a duration. It's PfE that has a maximum.

then the other resist spell is now the only resist spell going on the character. The second resist spell never stopped function. It simply didn't absorb any damage because another one was overlapping it.

That's not at all how I see "overlap". That sounds to me more like "suppression".

If you cast Magic Weapon on a +1 longsword, it has two +1 enhancement bonuses. The permanent enhancement bonus doesn't go quiescent, or stop working, or not apply, just because there's a spell effect. It still takes an extra hit point off someone when it hits them. But it takes the same hit point that the enhancement bonus from the spell takes. That's why it's called "overlapping". If it didn't still work, it wouldn't be overlapping. It would be "tag-team bonuses", or "resting", or "quiescent", or "non-functional", or "suppressed".

-Hyp.

kreynolds

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Resist Elements doesn't have a maximum, it has a duration. It's PfE that has a maximum.

Poor wording on my part. I should have said "elements spell".

Hypersmurf said:
That's not at all how I see "overlap". That sounds to me more like "suppression".

I doesn't matter. One spell was overlapping another, thus the overlapped spell didn't do anything. It won't do anything until the spell overlapping it goes away. For example, you have two Bull's Strength spells on you, one at +2 and the other at +3. The +3 goes away, and immediately, the +2 takes effect. There isn't a delay in the second spell taking effect.

The same thing applies to two elements spells. The overlapped spell doesn't do anything. It's duration ticks down, but that's it. As soon as the overlapping spell goes away because it absorbed the maximum amount of damage, the overlapped spell now immediately takes effect. It all happens in the same round. There isn't a delay. If there was a delay, then in the case of two bull's strength spells as mentioned above, for one round, you wouldn't have a bonus at all, and that's not how it works.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I still disagree.

If you have Protection from Arrows cast on you by a 3rd level caster and also by a 4th level caster, Detect Magic will reveal two Abjuraton auras.

If you get hit by three crossbow bolts, each doing 10 points of damage, then with each hit, both spells lose 10 points of absorption capacity in the course of protecting you. On that third hit, the CL3 spell discharges, so Detect Magic only reveals one aura. The CL4 spell only has 10 points of absorption capacity remaining.

If you have two Protection from Fire spells running simultaneously, each capable of protecting you from 60 points of damage, then as soon as point number 60 comes through, both spells are discharged.

That's how I read "overlaps". One spell doesn't supercede the other - both are always doing their job equally. The exception, because it is stated as such, is that Resist Elements puts Endure Elements into Standby Mode.

-Hyp.

Remove ads