D&D 5E Do you allow Bladesingers to cast Mending, Shillelagh or Magic Stone as part of the attack action?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If a class feature doesn't specify which cantrips, then the feature applies to all the cantrips.
It can't apply to mending since it replaces one attack IN the ATTACK ACTION, so the cantrip has to be an attack of some kind. Nowhere in the ability does it invalidate the Attack Action rules EXCEPT with respect to replacing one attack with a cantrip. That's it. It replaces an attack with a cantrip and since it is still part of the attack action, the cantrip has to attack somehow.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There is no specificity there at all. "Your cantrips" is vague, not specific as no specific cantrips are mentioned and specificity is REQUIRED for specific beats general to kick in.
That’s not what specific means here when referring to specific overriding general. You don’t have to specify cantrips to be more specific with the bladesinger’s ability to replace the general rules for making multiple attacks and spellcasting. That is definitely an example of specific overriding general because the bladesinger is the specific rule overriding the general rules expected to prevail.
That said, I don’t necessarily think it’s clear mending was intended to be cast in that circumstance since 1) it’s not normally conceived as a combat spell, and 2) it is the single exception to all cantrips being able to be cast in the bounds of a single round. Honestly, it’s pretty easy to miss that exception and assume that all cantrips are an action to cast.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It can't apply to mending since it replaces one attack IN the ATTACK ACTION, so the cantrip has to be an attack of some kind. Nowhere in the ability does it invalidate the Attack Action rules EXCEPT with respect to replacing one attack with a cantrip. That's it. It replaces an attack with a cantrip and since it is still part of the attack action, the cantrip has to attack somehow.
That’s attempting to read WAY too much into the rules. There are non-attacking cantrips quite useful in combat that seem perfectly reasonable for a bladesinger to cast in these circumstances. Blade ward comes to mind as a particularly useful one.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
At my table the decision would be decided by what's best for the story.

As the rules aren't clear my default would be to fit towards the narrative.

As the example has no narrative I would forbid it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That’s not what specific means here when referring to specific overriding general. You don’t have to specify cantrips to be more specific with the bladesinger’s ability to replace the general rules for making multiple attacks and spellcasting. That is definitely an example of specific overriding general because the bladesinger is the specific rule overriding the general rules expected to prevail.
In 5e that's exactly what specific means. The designers literally don't allow See Invisibility to see invisible things, because the spell text doesn't say so. Specific in 5e means VERY specific.
That said, I don’t necessarily think it’s clear mending was intended to be cast in that circumstance since 1) it’s not normally conceived as a combat spell, and 2) it is the single exception to all cantrips being able to be cast in the bounds of a single round. Honestly, it’s pretty easy to miss that exception and assume that all cantrips are an action to cast.
I think it's pretty obvious that since the Spellsinger ability takes place within the rules of the Attack Action with the exception of replacing one attack with a cantrip, that it's only attack cantrips that can be used. The folks arguing to use mending are arguing that attack = don't attack.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That’s attempting to read WAY too much into the rules. There are non-attacking cantrips quite useful in combat that seem perfectly reasonable for a bladesinger to cast in these circumstances. Blade ward comes to mind as a particularly useful one.
Not one of which can be used with the Attack Action. The Attack Action is a very specific action used only to attack something.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
There's another interpretation of this "casting time" conundrum. The cantrip replaces one of your attacks, but nowhere does it say that the casting time changes to a single action.

Round 1
Player: I make one attack with my rapier, and use my other attack to cast mending.
DM: Remember, mending has a casting time of one minute.
Player: Yep, that's right.

Round 2
Player: Okay, I make two attacks with my rapier.
DM: Remember, you're still casting mending. Do you wish to abandon that spell?
Player: Shoot, I forgot. I'll make one attack, and use my other attack to continue casting mending.

Last edited:

FarBeyondC

Explorer
There's another interpretation of this "casting time" conundrum. The cantrip replaces one of your attacks, but nowhere does it say that the casting time changes.

Round 1
Player: I make one attack with my rapier, and use my other attack to cast mending.
DM: Remember, mending has a casting time of one minute.
Player: Yep, that's right.

Round 2
Player: Okay, I make two attacks with my rapier.
DM: Remember, you're still casting mending. Do you wish to abandon that spell?
Player: Shoot, I forgot. I'll make one attack, and use my other attack to continue casting mending.

If the casting time doesn't change, then no cantrips should be castable, as there are no cantrips with a casting time of an attack.

Remove ads