• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you care?

randomling

First Post
Thanee said:
Hey, the memories won't go with the character, if she dies... but I would actually focus more on not letting it happen, but on what happens if... ;)

Bye
Thanee
Thanks, Thanee. :)

Jez and Zana are not going to go down without a fight, but that said, if it came down to a straight fight it'd be a pretty short one. We're both low on hit points (Jez has 1, Zana 15), straight melee types (Jez is Ftr 4/Bbn 1, Zana Ftr 5) and deprived of our swords. Between us we have three daggers: legate, channeller, three orcs and an astirax to take out.

Somehow, I don't think so.

In any case, I'm getting over the shock now. My plan for next session is to do everything within my power to get Jez and Zana out of the fix they're in, but bring a backup character. ;)

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I have played in some games where I actually enjoy getting my characters killed off.. However that tends to wear off once I've been playing them for long enough:)

-blarg

milotha

First Post
I usually get attached to characters that I've designed and played up from 1st level to mid high levels. This is especially true if I've enjoyed the campaign. I have an old folder filled with characters from 1ed on up. Sometimes, I'll sit and look at the old worn well loved character sheets and remember the fun I had with that character. When one of them dies. I feel like a friend is gone. They are a part of me.

Last edited:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
eris404 said:
Actually, this makes you sound like a good DM to me. I think most good DMs are secretly rooting for the PCs anyway. :)

Ignore this post! There is nothing to read here. Please move along...

drunkmoogle

First Post
I think I care more about my NPCs than my PCs. Anyone else think that's weird?

Anyways, when I used to be a regular player (as opposed to a GM) I remember caring a lot about my characters. I've not suffered through one PC death; but then again I've never played through a complete campaign.

I want to become attatched to my character. But I am constantly GMing.

Maybe a break is in order. I hope my players don't read this; they really enjoy my games.

shilsen

Adventurer
eris404 said:
Actually, this makes you sound like a good DM to me. I think most good DMs are secretly rooting for the PCs anyway. :)

I know what you mean. I'm always ostensibly rooting for the NPCs with fingers metaphorically crossed behind my back, hoping that the PCs will make it. I think I've been doing too good a job, actually, since I got a couple of complaints (admittedly from only one player) that I'm too interested in my NPCs winning :D

Cannibal_Kender

First Post
Sometimes, when a favorite character dies, it puts me off the game for a little...but usually within a day or two a new concept hits me and I'm back on the horse.

ASH

First Post
My main character I have been playing for like 5 years, she was also the first character I ever made. I would have to say that I care about her. I liked her a lot when I made her and now, that I have given her *game life experiences* I like her even more. She has died a few times and I have ressurected her. Soon we are going to be hitting 20th level and I will be retireing this character, and i think that there will be some sadness there.

Our DM is really good. Sometimes we die, but its seldom because a stupid reason, like falling down steps or something. We frequently feel as if we are going to die, but we dont usually. The last death my character had was when she got her head chopped off by a vorpal blade. Begining fight in the first combat at the beggining of the gaming session. I rolled in and critted, then it critted back, rolled two 20's in a row.. Off came my head. But we are higher level PC's, so that kind of thing, can happen.

Thank goodness i was ressurected...I like to come back. But we will probaby be going for a low magic feel when we are done with this campagine, so less or no raising of the dead.

the Jester

Legend
shilsen said:
I know what you mean. I'm always ostensibly rooting for the NPCs with fingers metaphorically crossed behind my back, hoping that the PCs will make it.

What a fantastic description of it! Me too!! I suspect that this really describes a surprising number of dms' style...

viscounteric

Explorer
Tra-la-la-la-la Death!

Crothian said:
I don't want to play a character I do not care about.

Exactly! And if that weren't the case, one should go back to playing video games. Even then, the deaths of PCs on EQ and UO cause some players the need to get therapy, and ressurections are a dime a dozen! :confused:

BTW, it doesn't matter if it's d20 or BRP Cthulhu, never never NEVER pour your heart and soul into fleshing out your character to the most minute details. A character death before they meet the rest of the group sounds like something between Traveller character creation and a regular CoC session.

Remove ads