Do you play any kind of lottery?

Klirshon

First Post
Unless the rules for some of the more notable lotteries of my region have changed, I would only play them if I had the time to purchase the necessary amount of tickets that I would gain a profit regardless of the number sequence. I do not have such a luxury at the moment and will not waste my funding on such a venture. I require that funding to put this accursed, fleshling platform through a college education process so that the Collective will be one step closer to overthrowing the oppressive humans.

Playing Powerball and MegaMillions but not with any regularity. Even when the jackpots get to stupid levels like the current half-billion for MegaMillions I'll often simply forget to go buy a ticket. I'm perfectly aware of the whole tax-on-people-who-suck-at-math odds.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
For the big national lotteries in the US, the odds of winning are about the same as the odds of picking one person at random in the USA, and having that person be you.

(Not you, personally, who lives in Europe, but you know what I mean, I think. :p)

I guess I have to start playnig Lotto: the chance to hit the jackpot is higher than your chance! It's practically guaranteed! ;) Well, we're talking about 10-40,000,000 $, but anyway.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Lottery, you say? Not so much these days. My wife buys megamillions tickets when the jackpot is massive (like 5 tickets) and scratch offs for Christmas (a family tradition) but that's about it. Now in my 20s? Yeah, I played all the time. Wasn't for money, though. Me and protection never really got along. Oh, I won every time ... thank whatever god you believe in.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Lottery, you say? Not so much these days. My wife buys megamillions tickets when the jackpot is massive (like 5 tickets) and scratch offs for Christmas (a family tradition) but that's about it. Now in my 20s? Yeah, I played all the time. Wasn't for money, though. Me and protection never really got along. Oh, I won every time ... thank whatever god you believe in.
High five!

I occasionally play the lottery for entertainment, but I have also played many times for social reasons. At various jobs that I have had, there have been lottery pools when the pot hit a certain threshold. These pools can be a great tool for social interaction and professional development. It is a way to interact with your boss on a personal level. It's a way to meet people from other departments that you may not work with on a daily basis. It's a way for departments that are at a different social and financial levels to interact with relatively equal footing. I think I owe a small but notable part of my success at my first job out of college to the social interactions that resulted from the lottery pool. Definitely worth the buck or two a month I threw at it.

Scratch tickets are also a great general purpose, low cost gift to keep on hand around the holidays. "Oh, you unexpectedly bought me some candy! How nice. By an amazing coincidence, I got you a gift too!" Me and my wife also keep a couple of gift cards on hand for the same reason (to places we would go to if they end up not getting used).

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'll usually play a few times when I go out of state (Alabama is literally surrounded by states that have lotteries). It's fun to think of what you'd do with the life-changing circumstances that would ensue.

Remove ads