D&D General Do you play D&D (or other RPGs) with your family?

cmad1977

Hero
My wife plays in one of my games and asked me to run a 1 shot with her team at work for team buildings exercise.
This is pretty huge because it means she’s having fun in my game. She wouldn’t ask me to run for her team otherwise. This ALSO means that I’ve improved vastly as a 5e DM because the first time I ran a game with my wife in the group I was… awful. The experience was negative for a variety of reason both on and out of game but… I ran things pooorly when I picked up 5e.

aco175

Legend
My whole group is my father, my brother, and my son.

Started off with my father as DM back in the early 80s and my older brother and a few neighborhood friends. My older brother fell out in high school and my younger brother was just starting. The last couple years, my son joined- first in the summer when school was out, but now can stay normally since he is in high school himself.

I seemed to have been the DM for most of 3e on to today and my brother DMd one of the paths in 3e.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
My kids are all single digits, so although we do play D&D they're a little young to really grasp what's going on. We've tried Hero Kids, too, and they loved it but it's a little too simple.

I've been looking at (and collecting) some different games, looking for the right one. I kind of lean toward anthropomorphic animals. E.g. Mausritter, Humblewood, Root, etc.

Any recommendations from anybody?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I'm also reminded of a comic...wish I could find it...in which two dads are talking, and one is bemoaning how addicted his son is to playing his Hunter in World of Warcraft. They commiserate for a while about kids these days and video games, then in the last frame the other dad asks, "So, what spec does he play?"
"Marksmanship."
"For PVP!?!? What a noob!"
"I know! Right? I've tried to tell him...."

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Back in Middle School and High School I used to play 3rd Edition D&D with my brother a lot. Since then, I've only played with friends.

My wife and I are about to have a baby (October 13!), and I've got to imagine that within the next eight years we will be playing D&D together.

Do you play D&D with your family?
I started talking D&D to my child literally within hours of their birth. When they were 4 we started playing No Thank You, Evil! (A game designed to accommodate such a situation).

At 5 the kid asked "when are we just going to start playing D&D?" So we began playing Basic Fantasy RPG, a retroclone, then moved on to Rules Cyclopedia D&D. We now play Dungeon Crawl Classics, and the kid turns 8 in a few weeks.

TL;DR - yes, I play with my family.

Richards

Legend
Let's see, my oldest younger brother and I were introduced to AD&D 1E by my two cousins in the late 1970s. That Christmas, my two younger brothers and I each received one of the three core books for Christmas and we started up an ongoing game with the three of us, my little sister, and a few friends from the neighborhood. A year or so later, we also started up a Gamma World (1E) campaign that brought my mom into the fold as well.

Then college, and marriage, and two kids, and the Air Force - that was a gaming dry spell for a bit. But once my boys were 10 and 8 I introduced them first to HeroQuest (for the basics) and then AD&D 2E and we gamed through 3E and 3.5 until the oldest son went off to college, followed shortly by my younger son.

Now I game with my younger son (after his college stint was completed), my teenage nephew (who lives with us), and another family of three. (They have an older son who used to game with us as well, but he moved away to college and has started up his own campaign with his friends.)

So I'm going to go with "yes." (The only one in my family with no interest at all in gaming with us is my wife, but since I owe my marriage to "Doctor Who" she's got an entirely separate "geek link" with me.)

Johnathan

pukunui

Legend
One of the two 5e games I'm running currently includes my wife and our middle daughter as players. Our oldest daughter has previously played, and I think our youngest would like to, although she's still a bit young for it.

Bupp

Adventurer
I taught my kids to play just as the D&D Next playtest pack came out. My daughter (now 21) runs her own game with her friends, and my teenage boys play like, well, teenagers. We don't play together anymore, but they play weekly with their friends.

Remove ads