• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you play without Critical Hits?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Just curious if any groups out there play without the natural 20 is a critical hit mechanic?

I know certain features would have to be altered, such as Champion fighters.

Anyone?

(listening intently in the echoing silence...)

EDIT: Just to be clear this is simply a discussion, I am not advocating one mechanic over the other.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I use them, even though statistically they favor the monsters, because my players like them. I use them RAW, just roll your damage dice twice. House rules like maxing the damage one one die or rolling damage on the usual die and doubling the result only further favor the monsters. I wouldn’t mind removing them, but they’re fine as-is, and again, players like them even though they’re bad for them.

Yardiff

Adventurer
We even did crits back in 1e which didnt have crits as part of the rules. Had one of my 1e DMs use nat 20 roll 1d4+1 for times the damage.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Critical hits in 5th Edition can be a little uneven. On my ancestral guardian they felt a little underwhelming. On my current swashbuckler/sorcerer they feel like Christmas come early.

I use them, even though statistically they favor the monsters, because my players like them. I use them RAW, just roll your damage dice twice. House rules like maxing the damage one one die or rolling damage on the usual die and doubling the result only further favor the monsters. I wouldn’t mind removing them, but they’re fine as-is, and again, players like them even though they’re bad for them.

Why do you think crits favor the monsters? That makes no sense.

We play with critical because the players downvoted me to have them. They really favor the monsters but if the players want them that much... Democracy talked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads