• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you see Fighter players at your own table?

Do you see Figther players at your own D&D 5e games?

• During 2022-2023, my games have 2 or more play a nonmagical nonmulticlass Fighter to over level 7.

Votes: 56 44.8%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have only 1 play a nonmagical nonmulticlass Fighter to over level 7.

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Not in my games.

Votes: 40 32.0%

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
There's almost always someone playing a fighter in our group. I tend to alternate between playing a spellcaster of some sort (although rarely a full caster), and then the next time I need to make a character I'll go with a fighter or maybe a barbarian. I tend to find the options available to spellcasters overwhelming.
More than 50% of popular Fantasy Characters are nonmagical warriors

People tend to base their characters on Popular characters

Thus anyone who is attempting to emulate a popular character, more than 50% will use the nonmagical warriors classes.

There are only TWO nonmagical warriors classes in core 5e

My answer is zero BTW
I think this is a real problem, but then see my bias above.
There are 122 sub-classes
You're asking about 5 of them.

If you get more than a 5% yes, then they are disproportionately represented.
Not necessarily.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, I can't remember the last time I've seen a player play a Fighter. I can't honestly recall any since I started running 5e. Plenty of Barbarians and Rangers and even a few Monks, but never Fighters...

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The Fighter is among the most popular D&D 5e classes at every tier. The data available from DnDBeyond (official and unofficial) make its popularity unquestionable.

Official (2019).
View attachment 287824

The most recent is unofficial.

Quasi-official data is also seen here in ENWorld.
View attachment 287821

This survey is asking a different kind of question. It is about the character concept of a nonmagical warrior.

The actual DnDBeyond data seems publicly available, in light of the unofficial source. It can be done, but looks like it would take some effort to determine the precise frequency of DnDBeyond players who are building and updating strictly nonmagical Fighters.
Thank you! Interestingly, there seems to be a lot more high level games than I always assumed, given that most games I've played tend to peter out ~7th level.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I had to go back, and change my vote. Since, I did not realise how strict the nonmagical specifications were. While I have seen a number of fighters, they were not non magical by the criteria here.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Honestly, I want more non-spellcasting character options. Adding exploration and social class features could help with that. I'm going to try to sell the DM on a spell-less ranger variant for my next character. The 5E LOTR games have done a good job of making classes with very little if any magic to them.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think this is a real problem, but then see my bias above.
It's a designer focused "one style of fighter is good enough for me, it's good enough for you" mentality D&D always had.

D&D design teams is dominated by LOTR fans. So they only truly stress getting those emulations functioning.

Only the profit motive forces them to produce more range mechanics in warriors.

Honestly, I want more non-spellcasting character options. Adding exploration and social class features could help with that. I'm going to try to sell the DM on a spell-less ranger variant for my next character. The 5E LOTR games have done a good job of making classes with very little if any magic to them.
I agree I would love a spellless ranger, a warlord and a swordsage all in the game

Remove ads