• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you see Fighter players at your own table?

Do you see Figther players at your own D&D 5e games?

• During 2022-2023, my games have 2 or more play a nonmagical nonmulticlass Fighter to over level 7.

Votes: 56 44.8%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have only 1 play a nonmagical nonmulticlass Fighter to over level 7.

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Not in my games.

Votes: 40 32.0%

This poll is extremely flawed and any information from it would be more like harmful misinformation that anything useful. It can only lead to bad data, using it is actively detrimental to any discussion.
translation 32% of enworlders said something I don't like in a survey with no rules and no purpose, so I will pretend it is harmful to admit that a subset of players of this game about elves exists.

look this whole thing is a poke at me and another poster. It HAS NO PURPOSE. However all statistics can be manipulated to say what you want. You don't like this try spinning it... "More people agree fighters are fine look its' almost half the poster"

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I feel this entire thread is a JAB at the discussion started because I said when we as a group and a team put together our PCs having a melee tough full caster is better then a melee tough noncaster.
No "jab". You and other forumers − and when I thought about it I too − dont see the "nonmagical warrior" in play.

Many discussions about Fighter and Wizard (and similar warrior versus caster discussions) are characterized as if "nonmagical" versus "magicaĺ".

What is eye-opening, a significant segment of D&D players never see a "nonmagical" Fighter. It isnt the game that they are playing. Often the Fighter oneself is a magical character concept.

5e makes it easy to build a nonmagical Fighter. If a player keeps the Fighter nonmagical all the way into level 8, that is a fair representation of commitment to the nonmagical archetype.

On the one hand, the survey is strict because it focuses on a longterm nonmagical Fighter. On the other hand, the survey is generous because one need not play this character concept oneself. One need only to see it in play in ones own group.

This is a quick survey to get a sense of how much currency a "nonmagical" Fighter concept has among experienced gamers ... today. And how much exposure there is to this character concept.

mellored

Legend
There are 122 sub-classes
You're asking about 5 of them.

If you get more than a 5% yes, then they are disproportionately represented.

Also, if the question is about non-magical characters. You forget the rogues.

I have not had any fighter in my campaigns. But I have had a mastermind, swashbuckler, and assassin. As well as an all rogue one-shot.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
translation 32% of enworlders said something I don't like in a survey with no rules and no purpose, so I will pretend it is harmful to admit that a subset of players of this game about elves exists.
I didn't even look at the results of the poll, no idea what the results are. As I said, I think they are actively misleading, why would I vote and look?

So thank you for making up a motive for my comments that I did not give or even hint at.

look this whole thing is a poke at me and another poster. It HAS NO PURPOSE. However all statistics can be manipulated to say what you want. You don't like this try spinning it... "More people agree fighters are fine look its' almost half the poster"
Never said posters posting can't be useful. Again, you are making up that I have problems with something I never said. Posters can reply outside the narrow and misleading constraints of the poll.

Sorry, you are batting zero for two in attempting to put words in my mouth.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Actually thinking about it, I've only seen one Fighter above level 7 at all; a Champion back when I was playing AL. Even my own Fighter multiclassed after level 7. Cleric seemed to be the most popular class, at least in my area.

No "jab". You and other forumers − and when I thought about it I too − dont see the "nonmagical warrior" in play.
Okay maybe jab is the wrong word sorry. I have gotten very sensitive on here I should not have assumed anything. again sorry.
Many discussions about Fighter and Wizard (and similar warrior versus caster discussions) are characterized as if "nonmagical" versus "magicaĺ".
Yeah most fighter rogue and barbarian things that we see are heavily magical and spells or spell like
On the one hand, the survey is strict because it focuses on a longterm nonmagical Fighter. On the other hand, the survey is generous because one need not play this character concept oneself. One need only to see it in play in ones own group.

This is a quick survey to get a sense of how much currency a "nonmagical" Fighter concept has among experienced gamers ... today. And how much exposure there is to this character concept.
I;m not sure if this is a "blocked poster thing" but is this addressed at me still?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
What I'd really like is a better understanding of what levels Fighters are played to. How many games reach levels 11+, and how many of those games have single-classed Fighters in them.

Given that the main advantage the Fighter has over other melee warriors is that third attack, I'd like to see how many people think it's actually worth getting, as opposed to multiclassing or playing some other melee character class, like a Paladin.

Sadly, I have no idea where I'd get that kind of data. Sure, I could poll Enworld, but it's a fairly small percentage of the player base. I know that D&D Beyond claims Fighters are the most popular class, but that doesn't really answer "how many high level Fighters are there?".

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
What I'd really like is a better understanding of what levels Fighters are played to. How many games reach levels 11+, and how many of those games have single-classed Fighters in them.

Given that the main advantage the Fighter has over other melee warriors is that third attack, I'd like to see how many people think it's actually worth getting, as opposed to multiclassing or playing some other melee character class, like a Paladin.

Sadly, I have no idea where I'd get that kind of data. Sure, I could poll Enworld, but it's a fairly small percentage of the player base. I know that D&D Beyond claims Fighters are the most popular class, but that doesn't really answer "how many high level Fighters are there?".

The Fighter is among the most popular D&D 5e classes at every tier. The data available from DnDBeyond (official and unofficial) make its popularity unquestionable.

Official (2019).
- 5e Top Classes by Tier 2019-02-07.png

The most recent is unofficial.

Quasi-official data is also seen here in ENWorld.
- 5e Top Classes and Races (2017).png

This survey is asking a different kind of question. It is about the character concept of a nonmagical warrior.

The actual DnDBeyond data seems publicly available, in light of the unofficial source. It can be done, but looks like it would take some effort to determine the precise frequency of DnDBeyond players who are building and updating strictly nonmagical Fighters.

That is a hard thing to say

I have played games that end at 5thish and games that went epic. We almost never know when it will wrap until we are close to that time.

Pre 11th level plenty of melee casters have 2 attacks so they are down an average of 1hp per level and 2 at 1st level and 1 feat/ASI and action surge second wind and indomitable. For this they get 5th 4th 3rd 2nd and 1st level spells and cantrips all of witch they can customize

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads