Do you sell your books?

When we bought this house, one of my requirements was that it had to have room for a library. Every few years, we have to purge some of our books (It happens when you buy dozens each year.), but I am picky about it. Too frequently, I have found myself rebuying a set years later.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I usually wind up turning mine in somewhere for store credit or else donating them. These are the books I don’t use anymore. Space is at a premium now that I have kids, and my collection of comic long boxes already takes up enough space.

With the ease of digital books these days, I don’t have that “but what if I need it” worry. If it somehow turns out that I need The Complete Fighter’s Handbook then I can find a digital copy on Drivethru or DMsGuild, or else track down a used copy. I mean, it won’t happen, but if it did, I’d manage.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Yes. After 40 years of gaming if I keep every rpg, miniatures, board game, war games and scenery I wouldn't be able to enter my gaming room.

If I haven't used something in 2-3 years I put it on a 'sell' pile' for a month. If after a month I don't have regrets about selling, then I sell it. I decided to do the month long wait because in the past I sold rpg books I missed later. I currently in the process of re-buying some of them in POD or on FB Market Place if the price is reasonable. I won't pay eBay ridiculous prices.

Having said that I have two file boxes with 'never sell' items in them.

Novels: I used to sell them to finance buying new ones. I've only kept 20-30 physical novels. Everything is on iBook now.

Mercador

Adventurer
My gaming store answered me with prices for each book, so it helps. Pretty much everything Pathfinder 1ed is 5$ a book. Otherwise, it goes from 5 to 20$ depending on the rarity. My DnD 5e collector set can get 140$ (I paid 200$ for it, haven't crack any cover yet...).

It's really strange, because I don't need that money neither space, but seeing them in the shelves hurts me more than nothing, not too sure why, maybe because I know it worth something. I wish I had the time and the energy to DM a table, I really loved that. The vast majority of them, I never read them. So I wonder why I purchased them in the first place... :|

Hex08

Hero
I've sold or given away tons of RPG books. Sometimes the collection just becomes to crowded with stuff I'll never use again. I sometimes miss owning my AD&D 1st ed core books but that's more about nostalgia than actually needing them. The closest I've come to needing old stuff is some AD&D 1st and 2nd ed adventures. Those are super easy to convert to Castles and Crusades and I'll occasionally run those adventures when I'm feeling nostalgic. Since I don't have much of that old stuff any more I'll just buy the pdf from DriveThruRPG.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
No I don't. That said, I buy vanishingly few actual dead tree books these days. I live in a remote location and have a decided lack of storage space, so I'm mostly a consumer of PDFs.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Funny enough, I was doing some cleaning around the house and found a box full of Rifts books. Probably like 30 books. I had given them to a friend a few years back when he said he was thinking of running a game….then he gave them back to me when he moved. I’d totally forgotten.

No idea what I’m going to do with them.

Remove ads