• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you sell your books?

When we bought this house, one of my requirements was that it had to have room for a library. Every few years, we have to purge some of our books (It happens when you buy dozens each year.), but I am picky about it. Too frequently, I have found myself rebuying a set years later.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I usually wind up turning mine in somewhere for store credit or else donating them. These are the books I don’t use anymore. Space is at a premium now that I have kids, and my collection of comic long boxes already takes up enough space.

With the ease of digital books these days, I don’t have that “but what if I need it” worry. If it somehow turns out that I need The Complete Fighter’s Handbook then I can find a digital copy on Drivethru or DMsGuild, or else track down a used copy. I mean, it won’t happen, but if it did, I’d manage.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Yes. After 40 years of gaming if I keep every rpg, miniatures, board game, war games and scenery I wouldn't be able to enter my gaming room.

If I haven't used something in 2-3 years I put it on a 'sell' pile' for a month. If after a month I don't have regrets about selling, then I sell it. I decided to do the month long wait because in the past I sold rpg books I missed later. I currently in the process of re-buying some of them in POD or on FB Market Place if the price is reasonable. I won't pay eBay ridiculous prices.

Having said that I have two file boxes with 'never sell' items in them.

Novels: I used to sell them to finance buying new ones. I've only kept 20-30 physical novels. Everything is on iBook now.

Mercador

Adventurer
My gaming store answered me with prices for each book, so it helps. Pretty much everything Pathfinder 1ed is 5$ a book. Otherwise, it goes from 5 to 20$ depending on the rarity. My DnD 5e collector set can get 140$ (I paid 200$ for it, haven't crack any cover yet...).

It's really strange, because I don't need that money neither space, but seeing them in the shelves hurts me more than nothing, not too sure why, maybe because I know it worth something. I wish I had the time and the energy to DM a table, I really loved that. The vast majority of them, I never read them. So I wonder why I purchased them in the first place... :|

Hex08

Hero
I've sold or given away tons of RPG books. Sometimes the collection just becomes to crowded with stuff I'll never use again. I sometimes miss owning my AD&D 1st ed core books but that's more about nostalgia than actually needing them. The closest I've come to needing old stuff is some AD&D 1st and 2nd ed adventures. Those are super easy to convert to Castles and Crusades and I'll occasionally run those adventures when I'm feeling nostalgic. Since I don't have much of that old stuff any more I'll just buy the pdf from DriveThruRPG.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
No I don't. That said, I buy vanishingly few actual dead tree books these days. I live in a remote location and have a decided lack of storage space, so I'm mostly a consumer of PDFs.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Funny enough, I was doing some cleaning around the house and found a box full of Rifts books. Probably like 30 books. I had given them to a friend a few years back when he said he was thinking of running a game….then he gave them back to me when he moved. I’d totally forgotten.

No idea what I’m going to do with them.

Remove ads