D&D 5E Do you think we'll see revised core books in 2024? (And why I think we will)

Do you think we'll see revised core rulebooks in 2024? And if so, which option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagineGod

Legend
So it's bad-wrong-fun to have monsters? Do vampires need to sparkle in the sun? Is being a werewolf just a power-up? Is someone who loosely bases their imagery on LOTR doing it wrong?
Is that your take? I see recent D&D books actually discuss bad-wrong-fun. There is a whole callout in Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft telling people to stop playing games a certain way and to stop being inspired by genre tropes.

Hence, I expect 50th Anniversary Editions of Dungeon and Dragons will either ignore that modern trend and return to the design philosophy of Gary Gygax, or more probably, just reinforce the bad-wrong-fun callouts and distance modern designs further from the Gary Gygax vision. The future of D&D rests on that 50th Anniversary.

Oofta

Legend
Is that your take? I see recent D&D books actually discuss bad-wrong-fun. There is a whole callout in Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft telling people to stop playing games a certain way and to stop being inspired by genre tropes.

Hence, I expect 50th Anniversary Editions of Dungeon and Dragons will either ignore that modern trend and return to the design philosophy of Gary Gygax, or more probably, just reinforce the bad-wrong-fun callouts and distance modern designs further from the Gary Gygax vision. The future of D&D rests on that 50th Anniversary.
My "take" is that historically there have been some poor writing decisions in D&D products but it's been relatively minor. Some things should be fixed, but D&D doesn't need to be reinvented to only have purring kittens and happy puppies.

I also don't go around telling people that their playing the game wrong because they don't play it exactly like I do.

imagineGod

Legend
My "take" is that historically there have been some poor writing decisions in D&D products but it's been relatively minor. Some things should be fixed, but D&D doesn't need to be reinvented to only have purring kittens and happy puppies.

I also don't go around telling people that their playing the game wrong because they don't play it exactly like I do.
Exactly, in a true open world game, which originally was the premise of Gary Gygax's and Dave Arneson's D&D, the PCs should have the freedom to use the games mechanics to do anything, even this., yes,even the computer game Skyrim accepts the murder hobo style of play can be fun.

Reynard

Legend
Yup. That’s why in 2024 it will be 6E and it will be as different (less) as 2E was from 1E.
I don't think 2E is as similar to 1E as folks like to think. The entire aesthetic changes, the kinds of worlds and modules published were very different, and it shed a lot of fiddly Gygaxian rules. It is true that you can run 1E material easily with 2E but that isn't the same as saying 2E wasn't markedly different.

Right now it is gen-x and boomers writing for millennials and gen z. Pretty soon it will be millennials and gen z doing most of the writing. Things will change.
Thompson and Mearls were Millennials. Barely, but still Millennials
Crawford is likely about the same
And they've hired a half-dozen new staff that is their age or younger
And all the young freelancers working for the game are either old Zoomers or young Millennials

Things did change. You just weren't looking

imagineGod

Legend
I have one of the last Dragonlance First Edition AD&D sourcebooks and it states both AD&D 1st and 2nd compatibility by including THAC0 for 2nd in stat blocks, but still usable with tables of 1st Ed.

dave2008

Legend
Were you guys around for the 30th anniversary?

How about the 40th anniversary?

So...what is the thinking that the 50th is going to be any different?
50th is a bigger deal than 30th or 40th? It is also the 10th year of the edition so that makes it a good time to tweak things a bit

dave2008

Legend
The biggest change in the 2024 Anniversary Edition will be the Monster Manual.

Compared to the original 5th Edition Monster Manual, we will finally get the official stance ftom Wizard of the Coast that bad-wrong-fun exists and.unwanted by WoTC,. And that leads to public showing new buyers that probably Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson are no longer role models for D&D design philosophy.

So the 50th Anniversary is a seismic event for the fandom.
What do you mean? I can't make heads or tales of this comment. Is it some type of I side joke I am u aware of?

Aldarc

Legend
Thompson and Mearls were Millennials. Barely, but still Millennials
Crawford is likely about the same
And they've hired a half-dozen new staff that is their age or younger
And all the young freelancers working for the game are either old Zoomers or young Millennials

Things did change. You just weren't looking
How are Thompson, Mearls, or Crawford counted among the Millennials?

download.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads