• No

Votes: 122 53.3%
  • Maybe? I could me convinced.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Lemon

Votes: 4 1.7%

darjr

I crit!
How is that different than a 2d map? Like, I see no difference. An awful lot of the negative comments in this thread apply to any type of map, frankly.
Theatre of the mind is my main go to. And even if folks want to get tactical I often just throw terrain on a battle map without drawing a thing. Sometimes that terrain are things like dice or books or whatever is at hand.

Please note this isn't an objective thing, but personal. I get that.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
For those thinking building in 3d is going to be a real challenge, it is actually quite easy to build in the video game Solasta......Frankly, if I could figure out how to use that to run games as a DM and players (and they had smaller rooms), I'd use it that way.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Again, that's a problem with any map (the size thing). And, do your players really expect maps to be infinite in size?
Why are you conflating "infinite" with "the range of my darkvision/ the long range normal attack reach my cover ignoring weapon/one move+cunning action dash/move /etc"

WotC wants to make a vtt & that's great, I hope it's a worthy addition to the market. In doing that though they need to be more serious about making 6e's rules not fight the use of a vtt than 5e turned out to be.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Why are you conflating "infinite" with "the range of my darkvision/ the long range normal attack reach my cover ignoring weapon/one move+cunning action dash/move /etc"

WotC wants to make a vtt & that's great, I hope it's a worthy addition to the market. In doing that though they need to be more serious about making 6e's rules not fight the use of a vtt than 5e turned out to be.
Which again, is a problem with every map.....not just a 3d map.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Which again, is a problem with every map.....not just a 3d map.
That's simply not true on an objective level, it's not a matter of 2d/3d so much as physical/capable digital map unbound by the constraints of a physical map*. Telling a player "No bob I can't show you that because the physical map is only this big" is very different from "no bob I won't show you that because I simply refuse to scroll or zoom the screen to show it". One is "yea true ok" while the other is fraying the social contract because the rules give bob reason to feel justified in having the map scrolled/zoomed that far.

* or the very low limits of roll20

Hussar

Legend
Just as one absolute hope to goodness feature:

Clearly written instructions. For the love of little fishies, do NOT put instructions on youtube. I have zero interest or time to screw around watching a 30 minute video to answer one question. Learn to write proper documentation and then ACTUALLY WRITE proper documentation.

This whole, "Well, if you want the answer, here's is this format that is 100% not searchable, completely opaque and eats up 30 minutes of your time to answer a three minute question." needs to die in a fire. And there is a very special circle of Hell waiting for people who think that this is the right way to give instructions.

Did I mention I hate youtube instructional videos? :p

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Just as one absolute hope to goodness feature:

Clearly written instructions. For the love of little fishies, do NOT put instructions on youtube. I have zero interest or time to screw around watching a 30 minute video to answer one question. Learn to write proper documentation and then ACTUALLY WRITE proper documentation.

This whole, "Well, if you want the answer, here's is this format that is 100% not searchable, completely opaque and eats up 30 minutes of your time to answer a three minute question." needs to die in a fire. And there is a very special circle of Hell waiting for people who think that this is the right way to give instructions.

Did I mention I hate youtube instructional videos? :p
My life philosophy is not to yell in anger.....I fail with Youtube instructional videos, i.e.

"ARRRGGGH, get to the point!!!!!!"

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The fact that I have to futz about with two different programs to make this work is a non-starter for me.
It's a module you install. Not two programs. I get your point, but it's a big stretch.

Again, I'd point to Solasta as an example of how easy it is to create 3d maps.

Agreed. The problem is that people can create a YT instructional video with zero preparation and zero post-production editing. And they usually do.

If they actually scripted them, edited them, and then create a timestamp index I would not be so opposed to them. But the whole stream of consciousness recording is horrible.

Remove ads