• Yes

Votes: 34 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 122 53.3%
  • Maybe? I could me convinced.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Lemon

Votes: 4 1.7%

Cause the 2d tabletops don't currently have it built it. For things like roll20 and Foundry if you put in a map, you have to apply vision blocking walls and doors to it after the fact.
Fantasy Grounds does, Just because some VTTs don't, doesn't mean they all don't. FG has tiles with LOS built in-to them right now that you can just pick and place. Makes for quick map making. Like this, two tiles drag and dropped from assets to a new image/map. LOS (here, walls, terrain and doors) already added since they are defined with each tile:
Screenshot 2023-02-06 112117.png

darjr

I crit!
A competent 3D VTT just needs to be able to let you select squares or planes to raise a specific number of squares, then apply a texture like normal. This sort of thing was easy at least a decade before Minecraft.
Eh. While everyone starts browsing the web while I fiddle with it. No thanks. I mean I can see people tolerating that but I dint want that.

Fantasy Grounds does, Just because some VTTs don't, doesn't mean they all don't. FG has tiles with LOS built in-to them right now that you can just pick and place. Makes for quick map making. Like this, two tiles drag and dropped from assets to a new image/map. LOS (here, walls, terrain and doors) already added since they are defined with each tile:
View attachment 274817
Ok that's good (and what I expect from the D&D Digital TT).

Those don't seem like great technological leaps. I think think the challenge will be creating an intuitive interface.
The UI will be a big thing. But, so will making the technology work 99.999% of the time. People get annoyed when LOS blockers don't connect properly and vision has small splinter gaps through mating segments. Or when visual aspects don't line up, or when water flows uphill, or doors open the wrong way, or don't open at all because of blocking furniture.

All of that is achievable, with enough developer and tester hours. Thousands or tens of thousands of dedicated hours.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Eh. While everyone starts browsing the web while I fiddle with it. No thanks. I mean I can see people tolerating that but I dint want that.
How is that different than a 2d map? Like, I see no difference. An awful lot of the negative comments in this thread apply to any type of map, frankly.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The UI will be a big thing. But, so will making the technology work 99.999% of the time. People get annoyed when LOS blockers don't connect properly and vision has small splinter gaps through mating segments. Or when visual aspects don't line up, or when water flows uphill, or doors open the wrong way, or don't open at all because of blocking furniture.

All of that is achievable, with enough developer and tester hours. Thousands or tens of thousands of dedicated hours.
Not to mention implementing and testing the GM customization tools that will be needed to add/delete/move/alter features in whatever the auto-generator creates.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That seemed pretty fiddley, and also was not the programs I was describing.
Surprised Owl GIF

Cause the 2d tabletops don't currently have it built it. For things like roll20 and Foundry if you put in a map, you have to apply vision blocking walls and doors to it after the fact.

If the new thing has it built in, upon just putting the map parts down vision will be taken care of.

You aren't the only one seeming to post as if roll20 or foundry is the only VTT out there but people have been telling you for a while that the things you are saying that wotc's barely described VTT might solve have long been solved by other VTTs they use. In actual play doing that is a lot less "fiddly" than it looks when trying to cram a specific example into a short as possible video without dragging it out with any of the many many features that are extraneous to the example. I had originally done a video that made the little room with the barrel too but it was more than twice as long & most of that time was pointlessly picking desirable assets for it

In actual play at the table

the biggest hurdle is not in what I'll paraphrase from 287 as "quickly scrawl some stuff on a whiteboard", that hurdle comes in needing to draw hundreds of feet of stuff in one or more directions because 5e is too PC friendly in expanding the area of scrawl a player can feel justified in expecting to see filled in within the rules. Having 3d makes that an even bigger hurdle by increasing the load on the computer & possibly the GM.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Surprised Owl GIF

You aren't the only one seeming to post as if roll20 or foundry is the only VTT out there but people have been telling you for a while that the things you are saying that wotc's barely described VTT might solve have long been solved by other VTTs they use. In actual play doing that is a lot less "fiddly" than it looks when trying to cram a specific example into a short as possible video without dragging it out with any of the many many features that are extraneous to the example. I had originally done a video that made the little room with the barrel too but it was more than twice as long & most of that time was pointlessly picking desirable assets for it

In actual play at the table

the biggest hurdle is not in what I'll paraphrase from 287 as "quickly scrawl some stuff on a whiteboard", that hurdle comes in needing to draw hundreds of feet of stuff in one or more directions because 5e is too PC friendly in expanding the area of scrawl a player can feel justified in expecting to see filled in within the rules. Having 3d makes that an even bigger hurdle by increasing the load on the computer & possibly the GM.
Again, that's a problem with any map (the size thing). And, do your players really expect maps to be infinite in size?

Remove ads