• Yes

Votes: 34 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 122 53.3%
  • Maybe? I could me convinced.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Lemon

Votes: 4 1.7%

Feel free to criticize, I'm providing you feedback about your criticism. You can disagree, but I appreciate that random people post videos out of kindness.
I would love constructive criticism of my criticisms. What did I say that was not polite? How could I have said the same thing in a polite manner?

I too appreciate people putting out random helpful videos, or trying to. But I also don't see much value to society when people continue to try and do something but continue to do it poorly and no one is willing to step up and criticize them so that they can improve. If no one provides feedback to them that their videos are not very useful, how are they supposed to know?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
A VTT written from the ground up to be 3D should not be that big of a challenge nowadays. Technology has come a long ways over the past decade or so.

The advantage that WOTC's VTT will have is that it's not being built on a shoestring budget with 3D as an afterthought. Hopefully. :)
It is not the VTT that is the challenge I see here but the poor DMs trying to prepare stuff for the game. I can see an element within WoTC seeing that as a feature ("let them buy mods"; and here are some moar maps for $2.99)

Oofta

Legend
It is not the VTT that is the challenge I see here but the poor DMs trying to prepare stuff for the game. I can see an element within WoTC seeing that as a feature ("let them buy mods"; and here are some moar maps for $2.99)
Well, since I buy things piecemeal from DDB all the time, I guess I don't really see the issue. I don't really need any more monsters, I'm perfectly capable of homebrewing them when needed. But I still buy them because it's convenient and for me it's worth it.

With any of the VTTs there are options to buy add-ons and upgrades. I don't see why this would be any different. Buy the latest mod "Attack of the Killer Vegetables!" and spend a couple extra bucks to get the map as well? Works for me. If it's a financial burden (D&D is still one of the cheaper hobbies out there) then maybe the rest of the group pitches in.

I guess I just don't see why a company selling things that people enjoy using while also being completely optional is a bad thing.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That was a funny part of the interview, since it seemed that Brink was realizing in real time how difficult it was going to be for people to make homebrew campaigns using the 3d vtt
Agreed... In the announce thing there was a clip where a guy (maybe a developer or PM type person it seemed) said something along the lines of "we're going to have a really robust tool for you to be able to create your own dungeons". Given the way he seemed blindsided by the question it's probably a good idea for someone in the sandcastle(?) division to break down a whiteboard/paper featureset expected hoped or plannedfor the capabilities of that tool & maybe do some rubberducking of the workflow involved with a gm using it. Taking it a step further to compare it to that workflow in existing VTTs like fountry/talespire/arkenforge/owlbear rodeo might be good as well. The creative folks should be involved in that process because they need to know what the strengths & weaknesses of their own VTT will be so they can try to accentuate & highlight those things.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Well, since I buy things piecemeal from DDB all the time, I guess I don't really see the issue. I don't really need any more monsters, I'm perfectly capable of homebrewing them when needed. But I still buy them because it's convenient and for me it's worth it.

With any of the VTTs there are options to buy add-ons and upgrades. I don't see why this would be any different. Buy the latest mod "Attack of the Killer Vegetables!" and spend a couple extra bucks to get the map as well? Works for me. If it's a financial burden (D&D is still one of the cheaper hobbies out there) then maybe the rest of the group pitches in.

I guess I just don't see why a company selling things that people enjoy using while also being completely optional is a bad thing.
Mods and the like are not an issue, but the more I think about this a 3D VTT need a Chat GPT type tools that does an encounter on the fly for the party with an appropriate map.

Oofta

Legend
Mods and the like are not an issue, but the more I think about this a 3D VTT need a Chat GPT type tools that does an encounter on the fly for the party with an appropriate map.
Now that would be awesome. I've always thought how incredible it would be if you could just say "Generate a medium sized village in style X with parameters Y." Have the AI populate it and make all the appropriate buildings and NPCs. Someday.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases