Dockside Diversion/Still Waters

jkason

First Post
Nathan Tchanlach, human sorcerer

Nathan falls silent for much of the bribery exchange and moving to the new ship, though annoyed glances toward the air over his shoulders suggest that his unseen 'companions' may have had some kind of opinion he wasn't wont to share.

"Close quarters, indeed. May have to make use of my friends' cleaning abilities a bit more often to keep things getting too ripe.

"I can't see in the dark, but if I can borrow Borric's light, I'm fine hanging with some of our burly crewmen on whichever watch,"
the sorcerer offers.

OOC: It looks like spontaneous casters don't have the 8 continuous hours requirement prepared do, so I think Nathan can take any watch. Let me know if I've got that wrong.

Songdragon

Explorer
(( You can still stand watch and have enough rest... ))

Zelena nods to Borric, "I suppose, if she wants to. If you have any meat, I am sure you will have a friend for the evening."

[sblock=Zelena's Stats]Zelena Andu Gnome Cleric 2/Bard 2
Initiative: +2 Perception: +10
Conditions: none
AC: 21 (13 touch; 19 flat-footed)
HP: 34 of 34
CMB: +1 CMD: 12 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +8
In Hand: nothing
Spells: Divine (0-level) Create Water, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Stabilize; (1st level) Bless, Air Bubble, Protection from Evil, Longstrider(d) (color notes a cast spell)
Arcane Spell Slots 0-level (at will) 1st level: 4 of 4 slots remaining (Grease, Silent Image, Vanish)
Channeling: 5 of 5 attempts remaining; Liberation: 1 of 1 attempts remaining; Agile Feet 5 of 5 attempts remaining

Celebfedhiin (Riding Dog)
Initiative: +2 Senses: low-light vision, scent Perception: +8
AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 13 of 13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +1
In Hand: Melee bite +3 (1d6+3 plus trip) [/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Sorry, don't have a map of the river boat, yet. But I need to know watch rotation, if you plan on adding to the regular watch, and location if you do. There will be a watchman at either end of the boat and there is space at either end, along the side walkways, or on top of the cabin (see the image in my previous post for the general layout).

Yes, Zelena can get a hammock before departing or rig one out of cord and canvas supplies on the boat.

Agreed with Songdragon; sorcerers do not have the 8 hour sleep requirement.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

[sblock=How about this?]
BorricShip.jpg
[/sblock]Settling down to think about the watchstanding, Borric strikes a pose of contemplation with his fist curled up under his chin.

He says, "Nate, you are welcome to my Ioun Torch. Same with you, Syl."

"I think we should stand watch in pairs, leaving the sailors to stand the first two shifts; that's four hours."

"Then, just after midnight we have Nate and I taking shifts three and four. The pooch can stand both watches since he lays about much during the day. Nate and I can retire earlier and rest up so we can handle a double watch."

"That leaves Syl and Zelena to cover the last shift before dawn.
"

"What do you think?"

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +4
AC: 26 (23 without shield, 24 flat-footed, 13 Touch) - Platemail
AC: 20 (17 without shield, 18 flat-footed, 13 Touch) - Chain shirt
HP: 53 Current: 53
CMB: +8 CMD: 21 (23 vs. Trip/Disarm) Fort: +7 Reflex: +4 Will: +3 (+4 vs. Fear)
Conditions in Effect: Feeling jaunty, Ioun Torch (night)

Current Weapon in Hand: Shield
Chakram: 2/2 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]___________________________

Swash1.jpg
Borric Hawkins

jkason

First Post

Nathan shrugs. "I've not much of a military mind, so if you trust the sailors for the first two shifts, I should do fine holding down the fort with you on the third shift. Maybe we should plant ourselves on the cabin roof? Seems a good vantage point, at least.

GlassEye

Adventurer
It doesn't take long to get settled onto the river boat. And since the cargo was stowed the day before as soon as you all are on board the captain and the polemen take up position along the sides of the boat with long poles and push off from the dock. They avoid the channels of the main current, instead favoring channels with slower currents that impede progress less.

Unlike Captain Lotti who seemed somewhat removed from his crew the captain of the river boat is nearly indistinguishable from his rough crew and right in amongst them working just as hard. Once the boat is under way the crew falls into an easy pattern of banter and work. The low-voiced call and response chant used to keep the polemen on time makes the time pass surprisingly pleasantly.

At dusk the captain throws out the anchor in shallower waters away from the main current. He's reluctant to change up his watch schedule but finally agrees since it is clear you are all capable. "I'm sure the men'll thank you," he says to you. "And with a bit more rest we might make better time. Though don't get used to being pampered," he growls at his men.

Sekmun is more alive once on the river though more primal as he sheds the veneer of civilization along with the cloth wrap he wore. He is rarely on the boat itself instead spending much of his time in the water scouting the channels ahead and occasionally bringing back a fish or some small game to roast up on the boat's small stove. Or some lizardfolk delicacy like the snails he brought back one afternoon and ate raw. "Delicious. Though you humans prefer them boiled. Destroys the true essence if it's not wiggling on the way down." He grins and offers up a small bag of them.

Aldino, however, is miserable. The heat, the humidity, and the swarms of insects that seem to spontaneously arise from the swampy water all bother him more than anyone else and he spends most of his time seeking refuge from the gnats and flies in the stifling cabin until Sekmun brings him large handfuls of mud to slather on his exposed skin. "Oh dear, boiled or bitten. And slathered in stinking mud. It's a horrible way to go. But the pot of gold, so to speak," he winks theatrically looking like some sort of savage jester, "awaits at the end of the rainbow!"

[sblock=OOC]Great map! Thanks, Perrin, that'll do nicely. Some minor modifications: the middle rectangle is now the cabin and, of course, there is only the one deck.

Watches:
1 & 2: sailors
3 & 4: Borric & Nathan
5: Sylvain and Zelena

Got it. And thanks. When the sailors watch they will be at N3 & N12. A dim light (candle equivalent), mostly shuttered, will be lit at either end of the cabin for the watches though you can shutter them all the way and put the light out or open them up for full lantern light. Your choice.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Borric shrugs, "Nate, we are standing a double watch, ya know? Three and four."

"Being up on top the cabin is probably a good place for you. Offers some protection."

"The pooch and I will patrol the deck, ready to repel the boarders that you cannot blast with spells ahead of time.
"

The fighter takes heed of the warning about trusting the crew and tries to judge the captain's sincerity (see roll).

Standing on deck after his afternoon nap, Borric is leaning against the gunwale and watching the antics of the lizzy patron as he ranges around in his natural habitat.

Slapping at a gnat, he asks his companions, "Can any of you spell slingers do something about the bugs?"

Sense Motive (1d20+10=21)[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +4
AC: 26 (23 without shield, 24 flat-footed, 13 Touch) - Platemail
AC: 20 (17 without shield, 18 flat-footed, 13 Touch) - Chain shirt
HP: 53 Current: 53
CMB: +8 CMD: 21 (23 vs. Trip/Disarm) Fort: +7 Reflex: +4 Will: +3 (+4 vs. Fear)
Conditions in Effect: Feeling jaunty, Ioun Torch (night)

Current Weapon in Hand: Shield
Chakram: 2/2 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]___________________________

Swash1.jpg
Borric Hawkins

jkason

First Post

Slapping at a gnat, he asks his companions, "Can any of you spell slingers do something about the bugs?"

Nathan shrugs. "I could probably magic up some mud like poor Aldino's wearing, I suppose," Nathan offers, glad that his own clothing offers little in the way of exposed skin.

[sblock=ooc]I suppose Prestidigitation might arguably be able to provide an insect repellent scent against non-encounter bugs, but that might be pushing things. But I figure soil = mud, so if there's an anti-bug mud, Nathan could probably conjure some and / or clean it off easily when returning belowdecks[/sblock]

Songdragon

Explorer
Zelena is grateful for the fresh meat that Sekum is able to provide and will watch from her small raised hammock as she lazily swings with motion of the smaller boat. The gnome seems to have her small crossbow in hand and ready to use, despite there being little contact with other creatures.

"I did not consider any bug repellant. I suppose you live and learn," she pulls out a wide brimmed hat from her backpack and wears it to protect herself from the sun. "Using some magic in that way..." She considers, "Perhaps... It would be an interesting use of the spell. Perhaps just a light breeze, keep the flying things moving. Only one way to see if it works..." Zelena will cast prestidigitation (cause a very light breeze about herself and the hound... just to keep some of the bugs off.)

[sblock=Zelena's Stats]Zelena Andu Gnome Cleric 2/Bard 2
Initiative: +2 Perception: +10
AC: 21 (13 touch; 19 flat-footed)
HP: 34 of 34
CMB: +1 CMD: 12 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +8
In Hand: nothing
Spells: Divine (0-level) Create Water, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Stabilize; (1st level) Bless, Air Bubble, Protection from Evil, Longstrider(d) (color notes a cast spell)
Arcane Spell Slots 0-level (at will) 1st level: 4 of 4 slots remaining (Grease, Silent Image, Vanish)
Channeling: 5 of 5 attempts remaining; Liberation: 1 of 1 attempts remaining; Agile Feet 5 of 5 attempts remaining

Celebfedhiin (Riding Dog)
Initiative: +2 Senses: low-light vision, scent Perception: +8
AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 13 of 13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +1
In Hand: Melee bite +3 (1d6+3 plus trip) [/sblock]

Remove ads