Doctor Who (2020) - spoilers!

Wow I found it to be one of the worst episodes. You have an advanced race needing Tesla to fix their ship and the guns don't work however they threaten us? super fast scoprions but cant catch people (reminded me of t-rex jurrasic park bumping into things. The Dr lectures Tesla when he wont share the alien found technology with her. Plus we got zilch when it comes to the what/why the master did?

Im really curious if this show is at the same hype it was when Matt Smith/Tenant were Dr's especially in the UK.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
While I did like the introduction of Tesla the story seemed a bit cartoonish in its portrayal of his rivalry with Edison and the unneccesary train sequence, but it was the alien plot that really spoiled what could have been an interesting story, especially when the scorpions proved a bit incompetent to actually be a real threat to anyone - it destroyed any sense of real menace and the Queens make up just made them come off as amateur Racnos cosplay.

and although it was Tesla who finally pushed the button, I was surprised at the ruthlessness of the Doctor making the order to kill the entire Scorpion species rather than just fixing their ship and telling them to leave.
Even in the case of the very similar Racnos it was Saxon who order their ship be destroyed.

(also was anyone else reminded of Command and Conquers Tesla Coil weapon?)

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
I was surprised at the ruthlessness of the Doctor making the order to kill the entire Scorpion species rather than just fixing their ship and telling them to leave.

True, but that wasn't until after the Skithra Queen threatened to burn the world below her ship if she didn't get what she wanted. Throughout the Doctor's various incarnations, there has been a decided lack of compassion for bullies. And threatening the Earth is a good way to get the Doctor on your case.

Johnathan

Nutation

Explorer
super fast scoprions but cant catch people (reminded me of t-rex jurrasic park bumping into things.

I liked this part. The monsters never catch the companions, but in this case we saw why. They were bad at cornering and they possibly fought each other (not sure what I was seeing). Usually, the chase just arbitrarily fails before the companion closes a door, etc.

Richards

Legend
Yeah, that was definitely an interesting episode. I'm not sure what's going on with the Doctor's potential past "former self," but we've seen a "fake Doctor" before - the Tenth Doctor faced that guy with the hot air balloon who thought he was the Doctor after having been accidentally "contaminated" with the Doctor's memories - although this seems very different. And the chameleon arch is in play again, too - interesting. I guess we'll have to see how it all plays out. I do hope they're not planning on grafting in a whole lot of former incarnations of the Doctor that have faded into obscurity; while it played out well enough for the War Doctor, I'd rather they not continue to go the retroactive continuity route. But we'll see.

Johnathan

Vael

Legend
I was really happy with this episode. Sets up a lot of interesting stuff, I'm eager to see how this season progresses.

Remove ads