Doctor Who (2020) - spoilers!

shes dropped a lot since Capaldi and has a better night. She still has very good numbers and it appears the budget has decreased based on these costumes

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
shes dropped a lot since Capaldi and has a better night.

Saturday night TV in the UK is traditionally a better night than Sunday night. That's where all the big prime time shows go (X Factor, Strictly, where Doctor Who relaunched, etc.)

Capaldi's three series opening figures were 6.68m (2017), 6.54m (2015), 9.17m (2014). 2017 averaged about 5m viewers.

Whitaker's have been 10.96m (2018) and 6.89m (2020). 2018's series averaged about 7m viewers. So far this year is averaging about 5.5m, a little higher than Capaldi's.

She still has very good numbers and it appears the budget has decreased based on these costumes

Because you saw that one guy with gas mask in the latest episode? Spyfall was a very expensive double episode, and they're shooting on-location in various foreign countries. They're spending tons of money.

Mallus

Legend
Praxeus looked expensive, too. And I think it ranks as one of the best directed Doctor Who episodes.

As for it walloping the audience upside the head with a cricket bat that has an environmentalist message scrawled on it... let's just say I really enjoy science fiction when it refrains from subtlety.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As for it walloping the audience upside the head with a cricket bat that has an environmentalist message scrawled on it... let's just say I really enjoy science fiction when it refrains from subtlety.
Heh. Yeah.

Mallus

Legend
Just to be clear, I was being completely serious. I'm a old-school Trekkie at heart. I like my messages & allegories loud. Like turned up to 11. There's a place for subtlety in art, but that place is rarely sci-if.

GreyLord

Legend
Praxeus looked expensive, too. And I think it ranks as one of the best directed Doctor Who episodes.

I'm not so certain it is hitting people with a cricket bat so much as trying to be science fiction.

Science Fiction tries in some ways to predict what a possible future may be based upon what we currently know or think we know according to science.

With much of our current scientific ideas we have certain predictions regarding Climate Change and what may happen if we and the rest of the world continue as we have been (and, even if the entirety of the Western population suddenly becomes carbon neutral or even reverses what they have been doing, they still consist of less than 1/3 of the world's population...if the rest of the world continues...who knows what may happen)?

Thus, as with Science Fiction I think they are just extrapolating possible future scenarios and ideas based upon what our modern sciences have as possible predictions.

No need for hitting anyone upside the head with a cricket bat.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Good episode. I liked that one. Mary and Percy Shelly, Byron (whose daughter we saw earlier in the series!) and a lone Cyberman. Two part finale begins next week!

And are ghosts real?

Remove ads