DOCTOR WHO: "Deep Breath" (SPOILERS)

delericho

Legend
Meh. If there were Daleks that avoided the situation, so could the Rani.

Sure, but that wasn't quite what I meant. Back just before the Master was reintroduced, the Doctor commented that he knew he was the only survivor because he would have sensed if there had been another. They got around that for the Master by the use of the Chameleon Arch - effectively, the Master wasn't a Time Lord until Martha talked him into looking into his watch.

So if the Rani had escaped the destruction of Gallifrey but was still out there, the Doctor should have sensed her.

Having said all that...

So, say the Rani was not on Gallifrey when the Doctor zapped the planet away? She would still have been trapped behind the time lock on events (thus explaining why she hasn't shown up before). But now, that time lock is gone - everyone remembers what Time Lords are, as is clear from the siege of Trenzalore. That means anyone not on Gallifrey at the end of the Time War is now free to roam...

Yep, this makes sense.

MarkB

Legend
I really disliked the new theme tune and intro sequence. The music feels like change for change's sake, and loses a lot compared to previous seasons' themes, and the intro feels too busy and too gimmicky - do we really need whirling clock faces to tell us that the Doctor travels through time?

I had trouble with the idea that Clara had so much difficulty accepting a new Doctor. This is the Impossible Girl, who travelled through the Doctor's entire lifetimes undoing the Great Intelligence's interference - she's seen him in every incarnation, and more recently she interacted directly with his ninth and eleventh incarnations. Of all possible companions, she should have been the least likely to be thrown by such a change. In hindsight, though, I can accept that "least likely" doesn't necessarily mean "unlikely" in this context.

The villain lacked any screen presence whatsoever, failing to summon up the creepiness of the Clockwork Robots from Girl in the Fireplace or the body-horror of the Borg. The Doctor's attempts to talk him down felt utterly one-sided, with little impression that he was affected on an emotional level, or even that he had an emotional level upon which to be affected.

On the other hand, the Paternoster Gang turned in an excellent performance as always, continuing to be some of the better recurring characters in the series, and once we'd gone through the usual post-regenerative rigmarole, Capaldi's Doctor was on very good form, a promising sign for future episodes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So if the Rani had escaped the destruction of Gallifrey but was still out there, the Doctor should have sensed her.

Yep. That's why we place her back behind the time lock until Day of the Doctor resolves.

There gets to be some hinkeyness in the logic, in that we have evidence of Time Lords around and about even while the Time Lock is still in place. Just as some Daleks escaped by being outside the normal timestream, some Time Lords (the Corsair, for one) also managed the trick. Mind you, the Corsair managed the trick by being dead in a bubble universe, and that's not exactly a win for him/her....

I would love to see the Corsair in action, before his/her death...

I had trouble with the idea that Clara had so much difficulty accepting a new Doctor. This is the Impossible Girl, who traveled through the Doctor's entire lifetimes undoing the Great Intelligence's interference - she's seen him in every incarnation, and more recently she interacted directly with his ninth and eleventh incarnations.

It is pretty clear that her memory of that is hazy, at best. Plus, her interactions with the other regenerations seemed to have been quick - quick enough that the Doctor himself doesn't generally note them. This leads to a difference between her intellectual knowledge and her emotions. Intellectually, she knows they were all The Doctor. But, emotionally, for her there's really only one, and he looks like Matt Smith.

delericho

Legend
Well, not really. A whole lot of things about this make no sense whatsoever. I am waving my rhetorical hands really fast, and hoping nobody notices. :)

Well, yeah. But so has Steven Moffat since "The Impossible Astronaut" (if not before). "Makes sense" is a malleable concept where Doctor Who is concerned. :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I will see if the new Doctor grows on me, still miss David.

As far as Missy, her with that umbrella kind of reminded me of Mary Poppins, which would be a very interesting character with for Doctor Who.

I really disliked the new theme tune and intro sequence. The music feels like change for change's sake, and loses a lot compared to previous seasons' themes, and the intro feels too busy and too gimmicky - do we really need whirling clock faces to tell us that the Doctor travels through time?

For that you can blame the fan who made it and got The Moff's attention on youtube since that's where it came from

Herschel

Adventurer
I liked it, overall. The plot was seemingly a throwaway vessel as a medium for character bits, but that's okay, especially as Moffat probably has a plan to make it more relevent than it initially seemed.

MarkB

Legend
For that you can blame the fan who made it and got The Moff's attention on youtube since that's where it came from

I don't blame him - I'm sure it's to his personal taste, and he probably never expected it to be more than just a fan-work. It's Moffatt and the production team who thought it was a good idea to put it on TV.

Remove ads