DOCTOR WHO: "Deep Breath" (SPOILERS)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
She was a recurring villain, a renegade time lord like the Master. She also featured a T-Rex in one ep, which was growing abnormally. She was responsible for killing the 6th Doctor (Colin Baker), making him regenerate into the 7th (Sylvester McCoy).

And there was some suggestion that they'd had a prior relationship, possibly romantic, allowing for the "boyfriend" angle.

Janx

Hero
She was a recurring villain, a renegade time lord like the Master. She also featured a T-Rex in one ep, which was growing abnormally. She was responsible for killing the 6th Doctor (Colin Baker), making him regenerate into the 7th (Sylvester McCoy).

Any reason she gets a "normal" name instead of a title?

Seems like the writers were variable with what TimeLord gets titled versus named (ex. The Master, The Doctor vs. Romana, Rani).

I reckon I need to keep watching the batch of old episodes Netflix made available, but it's really kind of painful watching the really old stuff..

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Seems like the writers were variable with what TimeLord gets titled versus named (ex. The Master, The Doctor vs. Romana, Rani).

The Rani, not Rani.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I reckon I need to keep watching the batch of old episodes Netflix made available, but it's really kind of painful watching the really old stuff..

Actually, it *is* "The Rani".

While the differences have never been explained, most of the titled Time Lords seem to be renegades, or otherwise working outside the norms of Gallifreyan society.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Well, she does show up in several of the novels and audio plays - even becomes Lady President of the High Council.

They'd have a lot of 'splainin' to do, to turn her into an antagonist, though.

So far, I'd classify Missy as only ambiguously an antagonist - she hasn't actually done anything bad or expressed any evil intent yet.

On a second viewing she's not particularly Romana-like, but regeneration could account for that.

However, that line about how she likes his new accent and thinks she might keep it - that does seem suggestive that she's much more intimately linked to him, either a future incarnation, or some form of reflection or alternate version of him.

HobbitFan

Explorer
I liked the new Doctor. Not enough with him interacting with his friends. I don't get the point of including Strax, Vastra and Jenny if Clara is going to be the only one talking to them. Capaldi was by himself too much of the episode.

I can't say I especially cared for the story or the villains though.
I didn't really like the clockwork robots in Girl in the Fireplace and I cared for them even less here.

I generally like Moffat as a writer but this one felt a little phoned-in.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Dunno if this is true (I'll have to rewatch it) but somebody said that they could hear Stevie Wonder playing on the frozen Thames. Anyone notice that? It seems unlikely to me, because if the 11th Doctor and River are celebrating her birthday there, I imagine they'd have noticed the dinosaur.

Who else would know? Well, the TARDIS itself, for one. It is sentient, and has manifested as a female aspect in the past. River Song is another. I suspect any Time Lord can figure out how to reach the phone in the Doctor's TARDIS easily - and anyone who has studied the Doctor enough to recognize there's this young woman popping up in his timeline repeatedly saving him will figure out her importance. So, again, any Time Lord, or anyone with a lot of information.

The question is who can do it - that can be hand-waved. The question is *why*. Why try to keep Clara and the Doctor together? Find the answer to why, and that will tell you who.

Yeah, but who else would know that the Doctor ditched Clara in Victorian London, at that particular time, and knew about the restaurant that wasnt really a restaurant? Of course im doing alot of speculating assuming 'Missy' was the one that put the add in the paper and was the 'woman at the shop' who gave Clara the number to the T.A.R.D.I.S.. Yeah it could be anyone, or an entirely new character, but my moneys still on Clara, or at least one of her fragmented selves. The Doctor's comment about a egomaniac, needy, gameplayer type of person also leads me to think that Missy is Clara, but then again maybe thats what we're supposed to think.

Last edited:

Remove ads