Dodkong minions

Cleon

Legend
The next one I need to get cracking on is the troglo-wight (what happens when you have a stone giant lich creating minions out of underdark peoples):

Hmm, a regular troglodyte is Chaotic Evil so I'm not sure about the Neutral Evil alignment.

Shouldn't the Languages be Troglodyte as that's what it knew in life?

Trogs have an unimpressive CHA 6 so CHA 12 seems rather extreme. Why is it high enough to provide a bonus?

The STR and CON seem too high, I'd just give them the same bonuses as a regular Wight. A regular Wight was not an ordinary peasant in life according to the Monster Manual's flavour text, so probably started with above average stats. I doubt many of them were peasants with 10s in all their stats and Wights get +4 STR, +4 DEX, +4 CON as a perk of being undead.

Oh, it's not important but you've got one odd stat (WIS 11) and every other ability score is an even number. Curiously, the SRD Troglodyte has entirely even abilities and its WIS is 10. Maybe the Troglowight has all odd abilities to balance that out. It's truly an abomination!

Would advise against having all three attacks of its Multiattack potentially cause exhaustion. Presumably the PCs are meeting them in groups, so the levels of exhaustion could pile up quickly.

Would prefer if they had a separate Life Draining attack like a standard Wight, or failing that if only one of their Multiattacks caused exhaustion. Maybe the Bite?

Would consider including the poisoned condition in Necrotic Stench rather than drop it. Disadvantage on attack rolls is quite effective and can be more impactful than a few points of necrotic damage. If you're keeping CON at 18 the save DC should be 14 not 12.

I'm also wondering how a successful save makes you immune to this specific form of necrotic energy, isn't that like being burnt and your constitution developing a temporary immunity to a particular kind of fire?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
sugestions taken on board....I need to sort this one out quickly

Attachments

• troglowight.jpg
    troglowight.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 37

Cleon

Legend
sugestions taken on board....I need to sort this one out quickly

I was thinking something like this:

Necrotic Stench. Any living creature that starts its turn within 5 feet of the troglo-wight must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw, or take 5 (2d4) necrotic damage and be poisoned until the start of the creature's next turn. On a successful saving throw, the creature cannot be poisoned by the stench of all troglodytes and troglo-wight for 1 hour. The creature can still take necrotic damage from a troglo-wight's necrotic stench during this hour, but only takes 2 (1d4) necrotic damage if they fail their saving throw.​

As for the other stuff, the Bite and Claws needs a little cleaning up. I think I'd make it 1d8+2 damage rather than 1d4 + 4 as (a) I'm not sure how you derived that and (b) a regular trog's bite has the same base damage dice as its fangs so I'd think a troglodyte wight would keep that relationship. A Vampire Spawn can do 1d6 damage dice with its Bite and Troglodytes likely have bigger teeth than an low-ranking vampire who's only got a human mouth.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage plus 5 (1d10) necrotic damage. f the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or suffer 1 level of exhaustion. This exhaustion remains until it is healed magically: a lesser restoration can remove one level of exhaustion from a victim with two or fewer levels, a greater restoration will remove three levels of exhaustion. The target dies if it suffers 6 levels or exhaustion.​
 A humanoid slain by this attack rises 24 hours later as a zombie under the troglo-wight's control, unless the victim is restored to life or its body is destroyed. The troglo-wight can have no more than twelve zombies under its control at one time.​
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d8 + 2) slashing damage plus 5 (1d10) necrotic damage.​

That makes it Challenge 3 according to the Calculator, the same as a Wight.

Which means its to hit is wrong as it uses a +2 Proficiency Bonus.

I'd be OK giving it STR 17 (+3) to resolve that. While the STR 18 (+4) of the previous draft felt a little high, a base Trog is significantly stronger than a human.

If you do that, it becomes Challenge 4 due to the point extra damage per attack:

STR 17 (+3)​
Challenge 4 (1,100) Proficiency Bonus +2​
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage plus 5 (1d10) necrotic damage. f the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or suffer 1 level of exhaustion. This exhaustion remains until it is healed magically: a lesser restoration can remove one level of exhaustion from a victim with two or fewer levels, a greater restoration will remove three levels of exhaustion. The target dies if it suffers 6 levels or exhaustion.​
 A humanoid slain by this attack rises 24 hours later as a zombie under the troglo-wight's control, unless the victim is restored to life or its body is destroyed. The troglo-wight can have no more than twelve zombies under its control at one time.​
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d8 + 3) slashing damage plus 5 (1d10) necrotic damage.​

I'll wrap up all of the above as an Enworld post.

Might as well change Mister Blue into Mister Trog to recycle the post.

EDIT: While doing Mister Trog I realized the lower CR also meant its Skills are a point too high in your version. :EDIT

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
EDIT: While doing Mister Trog I realized the lower CR also meant its Skills are a point too high in your version. :EDIT

Finished an Enworld version of the Troglo-wight which includes my proposed changes.

Note the Languages is Troglodyte since that's "the languages it knew in life".

Oh, I also took the liberty of making the alignment "chaotic evil or neutral evil" so it covers both the Trog and Wight's preferred moralities.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Yep - added all that and gone with STR 17 and CR 4. And aligned skills and language now

Can't do "chaotic evil or neutral evil" on dndbeyond so gone with "typically chaotic evil"

Remove ads