D&D (2024) Does anyone else think that 1D&D will create a significant divide in the community?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Probably not helpful, but I know people who play 1e, 2e, 3x, 4e, 5e, Pathfinder, and many other RPGs. How is the most current edition splitting up the current one make any real difference, when there's a half dozen iterations right now still be played by somebody? These splits are permanent too. Yet there is still a community for all of them. While I'm currently developing as 3PP for the DM's Guild now, I wasn't playing 5e, up until recently, since I mostly publish for Starfinder. What would make moving to OneD&D or any new edition be any different than previous ones?

Thomas Shey

Legend
Well, I'm not a cold-blooded person (not saying you are, of course) and tend not to think of things primarily in terms of profit.

You're not also seeing it as, first and foremost, your business and what keeps bread on your table. There's no point in expecting people for whom that's true to see it the way you do.

I mean, honestly, this is going to constantly be a problem for you because you're wedded largely to the big dog in the industry because of externalities, and they're never going to satisfy you this way. From what you've said in the past you'd be much happier with a legacy game, but that's not in the cards for you. So don't know what to tell you.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Nothing you care about, as far as I can tell. For the rest of the world a more homogenous, balanced, and streamlined 5e.
And that's what you would advertise? "These new books are more homogenous, balanced, and streamlined! Please replace your current books with them"? How exactly is that an enticing sales pitch?

mamba

Legend
And that's what you would advertise? "These new books are more homogenous, balanced, and streamlined! Please replace your current books with them"? How exactly is that an enticing sales pitch?
I am not in advertising, but yes, essentially. Pretty it up a bit to ‘the exciting new rules for the word's best selling RPG’ or whatever. No need to go into much detail… have a TV ad with some kids playing and being excited about a change or two (‘wow, this is so cool, my Fighter can now do X’) and call it a day. That is all that is needed really.
What did they say when 3.5 came out?

As I said, nothing you care about…

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
While the timing would be wrong for a new game a year from now, regarding this point, but what if WotC wanted to make an 'easier', 'more streamlined' version of the game for new people to the game, that WotC hopes to entice with a maybe block-buster movie and a televsion series. So that they aren't targeting existing customers with the change, but a hopeful large new audience and an 'easier' game might keep them interested (not saying it's a good idea, but that's the likely logic behind it...)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While the timing would be wrong for a new game a year from now, regarding this point, but what if WotC wanted to make an 'easier', 'more streamlined' version of the game for new people to the game, that WotC hopes to entice with a maybe block-buster movie and a televsion series. So that they aren't targeting existing customers with the change, but a hopeful large new audience and an 'easier' game might keep them interested (not saying it's a good idea, but that's the logic behind it...)
I think if they were thinking that way, Keys from the Golden Vault would have the movie characters all over it and there would be a new starter set showing up right about now in Target with their faces on it as well.

They are stepping up on D&D Beyond now, with how to play D&D and how to DM content, which is better than nothing (would-be players still have to know D&D Beyond exists before they can take advantage of the content), but not having it movie-branded is extremely odd.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads