D&D (2024) Does anyone else think that 1D&D will create a significant divide in the community?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
What exactly do you want besides LevelUP?
I own a wide variety of third party product, and a lot of WotC 5e (I only stopped last year). If WotC made stuff I wanted, I would likely buy it and incorporate it into my Level Up game. That's why I'm paying attention to the playtest at all.

The OGL debacle kicked me in the pants to get started in earnest on my own RPG, which incidentally also lead me to DCC, which has not only been a huge inspiration to my own game but also a refreshing experience unto itself.

5E more than any other system up to that point merely represented the system that I had to homebrew the least to get to an acceptable state, and now between DCC and my own game I just can't be bothered with it at all anymore.

Still important to discuss it and engage it on an intellectual level, but I doubt I'll ever DM or play it again. And given how 1DND has gone so far Im not optimistic that Im going to find it even equal to what 5E was, much less better.

I have a d12 system 3/4 written that I gave up on a couple years ago, I wish I had the guts to self publish and just go after it.

Fun times. Ive managed to stay motivated even through severe writers block at times because I managed to build up and more or less nail down the core of the game early when I was still in my honeymoon phase.

So now its just a matter of actually writing the game in full, and its made it a lot easier as I'm mostly not having to rewrite the core or figure out big mechanics anymore, though I've certainly identified a number of things as I go through the classes that'll have to be hashed out before I can proceed into the full playtest.

I own a wide variety of third party product, and a lot of WotC 5e (I only stopped last year). If WotC made stuff I wanted, I would likely buy it and incorporate it into my Level Up game. That's why I'm paying attention to the playtest at all.

And still I think, producing products you like will cost them more money than it brings them.
As much as I appreciate your likes, I think it is the wrong direction for the core game.
I also own the core LevelUP books and I really like them. But it is not what I want for OneD&D.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
And still I think, producing products you like will cost them more money than it brings them.
As much as I appreciate your likes, I think it is the wrong direction for the core game.
I also own the core LevelUP books and I really like them. But it is not what I want for OneD&D.
I would agree with you. I believe that multiple lore rich setting will balkanise the game to a certain extent that makes it a bad marketing strategy, no matter how much the fans of a given setting like that setting their purchases will not offset the losses from the people that will not buy because this book is Ebberon and not FR.
I notice that most third parties, that I am aware have one setting, if they have one at all.
This is one are where WoTC really needs the third parties and their support because across the third parties there can be a multiplicity of setting. Third parties are more stylistically distinct and for them that is a strength. It lets them stand out from the crowd.
This is why some of the complaints about setting content from WoTC being bland has merit. Their market is so large and diverse that a bolder product would be at risk of fragmenting their market. But white bread has its place, a lot of sandwiches start from white bread.

Micah Sweet

I would agree with you. I believe that multiple lore rich setting will balkanise the game to a certain extent that makes it a bad marketing strategy, no matter how much the fans of a given setting like that setting their purchases will not offset the losses from the people that will not buy because this book is Ebberon and not FR.
I notice that most third parties, that I am aware have one setting, if they have one at all.
This is one are where WoTC really needs the third parties and their support because across the third parties there can be a multiplicity of setting. Third parties are more stylistically distinct and for them that is a strength. It lets them stand out from the crowd.
This is why some of the complaints about setting content from WoTC being bland has merit. Their market is so large and diverse that a bolder product would be at risk of fragmenting their market. But white bread has its place, a lot of sandwiches start from white bread.
Sure, but when you used to have better variety of breads and now it's just white bread for purely financial reasons, it really hurts.

Basically, WotC just stopped making a good game IMO, when for nearly fifty years they or TSR did, more or less. Now they're holding hostage campaign settings that other creators could make good use of, for WotC profit, due to fear of the mob. And I hate it.

Micah Sweet

Why would you want Level Up AND OneD&D? How does that benefit you?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases