• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does brutal affect magic weapon d6s on a crit?

Gloombunny

First Post
Brutal does apply to high crit dice, because those are [W]'s and just as much part of the weapon's damage as the [W]s from the power you used. It does not apply to magic weapon crit dice, because those aren't [W]s.

Plus, of course, interpreting it any other way leads to silliness when you look at balance.

jedrious

First Post
Brutal does apply to high crit dice, because those are [W]'s and just as much part of the weapon's damage as the [W]s from the power you used. It does not apply to magic weapon crit dice, because those aren't [W]s.

Plus, of course, interpreting it any other way leads to silliness when you look at balance.

so if we eventually get a magic weapon with
Critical: +1[W] per plus

it would get brutal

Syrsuro

First Post

If I hit a creature with a power that does 3[W] damage, do you triple the crit die?

If I hit a creature with a weapon that has the high crit property, do you triple the extra damage die?

Because if you don't triple the crit die, it's not a part of [W].

(Note - this does not necessarily answer whether those dice are brutal. I'm just pointing out that the argument that the extra dice (either from high crit or magic) are a part of [W] is invalid.)

Carl

I would rule that it only applies to the actual base dice of the weapon. Crit dice and dice from any situational effect would receive this benefit unless the actual base damage of the weapon changed.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
According to the AV FAQ the extra dice for critical hits are not affected by the brutal property
Hmm, let's quote that FAQ, shall we.
2. I am wielding a magic weapon with brutal 2. If I roll a critical hit, do I get to re-roll 1s and 2s when I roll for the bonus damage?

No, the brutal weapon trait only applies to rolls for normal weapon damage, signified by [W]. The bonus damage for critical hits does not qualify for this. However, because high crit adds a [W] roll (or 2[W] or 3[W] depending on your level), you would get to re-roll any 1s or 2s.
So, the extra crit damage from magical weapons is not affected by Brutal, but the extra crit damage from High Crit is. Right?

Gloombunny

First Post
If I hit a creature with a power that does 3[W] damage, do you triple the crit die?

If I hit a creature with a weapon that has the high crit property, do you triple the extra damage die?

Because if you don't triple the crit die, it's not a part of [W].

(Note - this does not necessarily answer whether those dice are brutal. I'm just pointing out that the argument that the extra dice (either from high crit or magic) are a part of [W] is invalid.)
I didn't say that the extra dice are part of [W], though. I said that high crit dice are [W]s all on their own, and thus, they receive the same benefits from brutal as the [W]s that come from your attack power.

And the FAQ clearly agrees with my interpretation, so nyeah. :p

Last edited:

Remove ads