Does resizing bows affect range?

Aaron2

Explorer
When you change the size of a bow (or any other range weapon), does the range increment change? I can't find any rules about it.

Aaron

AGGEMAM

First Post
Aaron2 said:
When you change the size of a bow (or any other range weapon), does the range increment change? I can't find any rules about it.

Niether can I, so that basically means it doesn't (unless some wiseguy comes up with rules quote from some obscure book :D )

AeroDm

First Post
We were looking into it just the other day and couldn't find anything one way or the other. In fact, the failure for range increments to resize was one of the reasons I am using the 3.0 rules for weapon sizes... small longbows just suck.

Rackhir

Explorer
AeroDm said:
We were looking into it just the other day and couldn't find anything one way or the other. In fact, the failure for range increments to resize was one of the reasons I am using the 3.0 rules for weapon sizes... small longbows just suck.

Isn't a small longbow a contradiction in terms. I thought such a thing was called a shortbow.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Rackhir said:
Isn't a small longbow a contradiction in terms. I thought such a thing was called a shortbow.

No, not really a small longbow would just be a longbow for a small sized character.

A dimunitive longbow is similarily a longbow for a dimunitive sized character.

Both have according to the rules (or rather the lack thereof) the same characteristics as one fashioned for a medium sized character in all ways except damage.

AGGEMAM said:
Niether can I, so that basically means it doesn't (unless some wiseguy comes up with rules quote from some obscure book :D )

The obscure book is Savage Species. According to it, increasing or decreasing the size of a ranged weapon by one category causes the range to increase or decrease by 25%, respectively.

These alterations are not reflected in the 3.5 weapon lists, but are logical and simple, and could be implemented without much trouble at all.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Deset Gled said:
The obscure book is Savage Species. According to it, increasing or decreasing the size of a ranged weapon by one category causes the range to increase or decrease by 25%, respectively.

Yeah, that was excately the book I was referring too, since I don't have it (yet) I always seem to miss out on some niffty rules. Therefore the precaution.

FrankTrollman

First Post
Yes, but Savage Species is using the 3rd edition weapon size rules.

If you are using the 3.5 weapon size rules, resizing weapons does not affect range increment. There are giants with shortbows who can reach the end of the range increments of their weapons.

I hate the 3.5 weapon size rules. Hate them. Hate them. Hate them. They are without a doubt the worst idea of 3.5 - everything that is different about them from the 3rd edition rules is worse than the original. They create stupid problems like this and have no advantages at all.

That and centaurs can't use human shortswords because their feet are too big.

-Frank

Norfleet

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
That and centaurs can't use human shortswords because their feet are too big.
Maybe they find human shortswords useless because they can kick further than they can swing a shortsword? That's a very compelling point for centaurs not using human shortswords because their feet are too big.

Aaron2

Explorer
FrankTrollman said:
I hate the 3.5 weapon size rules. Hate them. Hate them. Hate them. They are without a doubt the worst idea of 3.5 - everything that is different about them from the 3rd edition rules is worse than the original. They create stupid problems like this and have no advantages at all.

The new weapon sizing rules are, by far, my favorite 3.5 change. One only has to look at the silly AU weapon list to see the advantage.

Aaron

Remove ads