• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does teleportation negate falling damage?

keterys

First Post
Just so I'm clear... people are saying that teleport needs to make you stop falling because otherwise gravity would do all kinds of things to you with conserved momentum?

*staggers* I need a Hong brand Two by Four in here. That's thinking way too hard about it.

RAW: Teleport does not affect the rules for falling. You fell 5 squares. You take 5 squares worth of doing.

Home Rules: Do whatever the heck you want, but please don't make a decision based on the real life physics of teleportation. Seriously.

I'd suggest against teleporting stopping falling damage because it means that as soon as you get an encounter-based teleport (easily done) you can jump down from any distance, whatsoever, which does not sound appropriate for heroic tier play.

Another strike is that this selfsame tactic works in World of Warcraft due to the code behind movement state and I feel no need to encourage people to make _more_ comparisons between WoW and D&D ;)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
keterys said:
Home Rules: Do whatever the heck you want, but please don't make a decision based on the real life physics of teleportation. Seriously.
That was kind of my point - trying to apply real-world physics to teleportation makes for all sorts of crazy things that eventually total up to "teleportation is a stupid, dangerous stunt at best". And that doesn't make for fun fantasy.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Since it takes a move action to teleport, it probably takes more than a little concentration. Otherwise it would be a minor or free action, obviously.

So I'd rule that he can't teleport while falling (unless he was falling for a long time, and then what would 5 square be worth?)

Of course in that case, it doesn't matter; teleport first and then fall the rest of the way.

hong

WotC's bitch
IceFractal said:
Keeping momentum doesn't mean you necessarily take the falling damage though - there's lots of better ways to use it:
* Teleport upward 5 squares, changng orientation so you are now "falling" diagonally upward out of the pit.
* Teleport to the bottom of the pit, but with orientation flipped so you fly upward from it and then fall back (you'd still take some damage from this, ~2-3 squares worth).
Momentum is a vector

Evenglare

Adventurer
Momentum is conserved. End of story. Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out. Whatever you want. This shouldnt even be a topic honestly.

Horatio

First Post
Evenglare said:
Momentum is conserved. End of story. Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out. Whatever you want. This shouldnt even be a topic honestly.

Which basicaly means "If you teleport far enough, you're dead."

ooI ----> (your momentum vector before teleportation)
oooo
ooooo
ooooooooo(rotating planet - clockwise)
ooooo
oooo

oooo
ooooo
ooooo I ----> (your momentum vector after teleportation across one
oooooooooooooquarter of the planet, perfectly valid for some rituals)
oooo

Congratulation, you just launched yourself into space (or high enough to die from falling)

Last edited:

Chen_93

First Post
Along similar lines of thought can you change your orientation when teleporting? Like say I'm standing up can a teleport somewhere and end up lying down? Or a more useful situation, if I'm strapped to a rack can I teleport off it and be standing? Or will I end up on my back on the ground after a teleport?

Tuft

First Post
Chen_93 said:
Along similar lines of thought can you change your orientation when teleporting? Like say I'm standing up can a teleport somewhere and end up lying down? Or a more useful situation, if I'm strapped to a rack can I teleport off it and be standing? Or will I end up on my back on the ground after a teleport?

Can you start your teleport facing west, teleport to the north, and end up facing east, you mean? ;) ;)

GoLu

First Post
Can you teleport while prone? (For that matter, I can't find any rule that says you can't run while prone. Crawling is prone-only, but since it is slower than walking, I'm not sure why anyone would would want to do that. Except, I swear a rule regarding that has to exist somewhere. A page reference would be appreciated.)

Hmm... Even if you can, teleporting doesn't say anything about removing the prone condition, so I assume it wouldn't. But since there aren't facing rules in the game, I don't see any problem with people turning around as part of a teleport.

keterys

First Post
The rules are very clear about what teleport does and does not do. Teleport does not allow you to get up from prone. Teleport does not change falling. Teleport does not make you combust or fly off into space if you travel far enough.

You're thinking way too hard about fantasy.

P.S. Teleport is a move action because it _moves_ you. Don't infer anything about how little or much concentration or time that requires as a result of its action type.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads