D&D 5E Dragging a fallen comrade to 'safety' isn't safe

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Voluntary movement provokes. Involuntary movement doesn't.
Even if the drag-ee is the attacker's mortal enemy, and the dragger is just the drag-ee's bodyguard attempting to protect him/her? Nope, it still doesn't make sense to me. The attacker should go for the mortal enemy, trying to finish him/her off.

seebs

Adventurer
Even if the drag-ee is the attacker's mortal enemy, and the dragger is just the drag-ee's bodyguard attempting to protect him/her? Nope, it still doesn't make sense to me. The attacker should go for the mortal enemy, trying to finish him/her off.

If that works, then you'll see PCs grappling people and dragging them past all the other PCs for the multiple free attacks.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Why couldn't the dragger use a Disengage action to remove both himself and his fallen comrade safely?

1. Possibly because he's used his action to drag the comrade (the rules leave it up to the DM what counts as a free object interaction and what uses your action, and many DMs would rule that safely picking up an ally would cost your action).

2. Even if the DM allows you to drag someone as an object interaction, can you do so safely? Some might rule that dragging a person along the ground might exacerbate the rules.

3. Even if you can drag someone as an object interaction, can you do so at full speed? Maybe they are too heavy (the rules on dragging heavy objects aren't super clear) and maybe going slower is safer (see point #2).

4. Even if you Disengage and move your full speed, many enemies can close the gap on their turn, clobbering you anyway.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, everyone. I realize my example is in a static situation, but the question I had appears to have been answered. The general consensus seems to be that pulling an unconscious ally away from a melee opponent would not provoke an OA on the fallen guy.

In my head, this is the scenario: (ME, ALly, ENemy)

[ME] - [AL] - [EN]

... and I want to move "left" with the downed ally in tow. This would open up a spot for another ally to move in or with 'covering fire' or some other distraction to discourage pursuit. Adding caltrops to the escape was inspired, I gotta admit. :)

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
In your example there, I would rule that ME has to enter the square with AL and then ME draws an AO on ME when ME leaves the area of EN to drag AL out.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Unless a creature is dead, i don't treat it as an object but still a creature and therefore would use grapling rules in this situation. I don't see dragging a fallen comrade as a mean of fast escape method, but as a slow rescue. In combat it usually happen when desperatly needing to move the unconscious ally away due to stationary threat of some kind.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I don't think the grapple half-speed movement rule applies.

In a grappling sitch, the two participants are actively opposed. An unconscious person cannot oppose the effort to drag them. And they're not so heavy as to reduce your speed so severely I feel.

So me, it would take the "interact w/object" action to grab the limb of an unconscious person, then normal movement, leaving you with an action and bonus action (perhaps a dash to get to cover).

Now, game wise, at my table you tell me you want to use your turn to drag your ally to safety, and that's all you're doing - you get it. It happens. Action economy/rules take second seat here, for me.

Why? 1.) because you've declared an action and intent that ought to be reasonably possible and don't require strict adherence to rules to carry out, and also don't require rules to resolve any ambiguities.
2.) because this is the heroic sort of thing I want to see more of! And the rules shouldn't stand in the way of that sort of play or inhibit that sort of heroism with unneeded complexity.

-Brad

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I wouldn't undertimate the difficulty to drag a bulky unconscious creature off that easily. Just taking my 8 yrs old to bed after she fell asleep on the couch leaves me not able to move as fast for sure, i would imagine a 180 lbs barbarian with all his gear would be slowing you down even more.

I don't think it's just about strenght vs weight, it can also be slowing down because of the bulky, heavy and sluggish nature that an uncouncious corpse represent.

Even dragging someone unconscious on a ice surface wouldn't let you move as fast, i magine over rought terrain how even more difficult it could be.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
If that works, then you'll see PCs grappling people and dragging them past all the other PCs for the multiple free attacks.
Then I wouldn't count 'em as a unit unless they were both unfriendly.

What? I'm the DM. I don't have to run things exactly the same way in every situation.

Remove ads