• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE LIVES! Unearthed Arcana Explores Heroes of Krynn!

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a...

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery.

Dragonlance.jpg

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Kender have a (surprisingly magical) ability to pull things out of a bag, and a supernatural taunt feature. This magical ability appears to replace the older 'kleptomania' description -- "Unknown to most mortals, a magical phenomenon surrounds a kender. Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets."

Lunar Magic is a sorcerer subclass which draws power from the moon(s); there are notes for using it in Eberron.

Also included are feats such as Adepts of the Black, White, and Red Robes, and Knights of the Sword, Rose, and Crown.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Haven't a bunch of us been telling you all for years to just go back and use all your old Dragonlance / Greyhawk / Dark Sun / Birthright material from all the previous editions you own and make your own version of the setting for 5E rather than waiting patiently for WotC to do a revamp? That way you'd have all the backgrounds, histories, and fluff of the settings exactly the way you wanted and remembered them and not the way WotC was going to publish them now 30 years hence?

You didn't listen. You never listen. ;)

Steel was a silly concept for coinage anyway. There is no way, other than with handwaveium, that steel is worth more than gold. (though if anyone wants to point me to a historical example, I'm all ears).

That said, they could easily do what Ravnica did and just say elsewhere "on Krynn, steel is used instead of gold. 1 steel = 1 gold". That way, the D&D universal standard is held while keeping the option to be more authentic. (Ravenloft did the same with domain languages).
Exactly what I do in my game, all gold coins are just steel coins

Haven't a bunch of us been telling you all for years to just go back and use all your old Dragonlance / Greyhawk / Dark Sun / Birthright material from all the previous editions you own and make your own version of the setting for 5E rather than waiting patiently for WotC to do a revamp? That way you'd have all the backgrounds, histories, and fluff of the settings exactly the way you wanted and remembered them and not the way WotC was going to publish them now 30 years hence?

You didn't listen. You never listen. ;)
These punk kids

dave2008

Legend
This makes we want to re read the first two trilogies, take notes on anything that could be gameplay related, and build DL on a 5e chassis. Even the original DL rules didn't actually reflect the books (along with having Knights of Solamnia thousands of years before Solamnia). These rules really mutes stuff that makes the world unique. I'm happy divinely cursed kender, I'm really not happy with 6 trinkets that disappear in an hour.
When your first fantasy book you ever read, after LotR, was this series, a bland mush is unwelcome, especially when you see the awesome dedication to lore that The One Ring has.
I do like the sorcerer rules, in and of themselves.
IDK, I am a fan of the setting and read the first few books and own some of the original modules. However, I am not interested in hyper-detailed, in-depth, and consistent setting lore. Not that it was really that great for DragonLance to begin with. I would prefer a general concept that I can run with rather than to be mired in lore that I have to navigate around. I know some don't like, but WotC simplified approach suites my taste. Leave the interesting and in-depth setting stuff to 3PP / DMs Guild IMO.

Last edited:

One thing to remember was during the height of Dragonlance's popularity, Dwarves, Gnomes and Kender couldn't be Mages. And it was extremely controversial in those first few years of 3e where any race could become any class with no limits on how far they could advance in that class.

Now it's just something like those races don't typically choose to become Mages.

I don't mind if it is canon or it isn't but the spider-dragon with a right redesign, adding some alien touch, they would be perfect to sell miniatures and toys. ;)

Will we see the half-ogre as PC race? And what about that race where everybody are born twice, but one is stronger and the other is smarter, the toyfolk?

* I don't like the name kagonesti because in the Spanish languange is like a verb about certain action we do sat on the toilet.

Gully dwarves shouldn't be erasured but retconected. In my game they suffer brain damage by the effects of an epidemic that decimated the population in that region. They could survive thanks their mixed blood, and their ancestors were from low social levels and more used to face diseases without healer divine magic. The image of dumbs is only an illusion, because the stupids can't survive for a long time in a fantasy world with lots of monsters and creatures who hunt humanoids.

* What about a Disney cartoon where a group of children play Dragonlance?

* There aren't orcs in Krynn, but we have the blue-skin tarmaks.

* Any retcon about Taladas and the Krynnsphere?

* Is Adlatum the "secret" continent the joker-card for the future is anything to be added later?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads