• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE LIVES! Unearthed Arcana Explores Heroes of Krynn!

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a...

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery.

Dragonlance.jpg

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Kender have a (surprisingly magical) ability to pull things out of a bag, and a supernatural taunt feature. This magical ability appears to replace the older 'kleptomania' description -- "Unknown to most mortals, a magical phenomenon surrounds a kender. Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets."

Lunar Magic is a sorcerer subclass which draws power from the moon(s); there are notes for using it in Eberron.

Also included are feats such as Adepts of the Black, White, and Red Robes, and Knights of the Sword, Rose, and Crown.

They're leaving it up to the DM and players because they are either too uncreative to come up with their own ideas, or too afraid of blowback to take a stab at it.
Or they know what they own and what they can speak to without having to be concerned with stepping on other peoples toes or being accused of using their big name status to grab up all possible ideas and put their logo on it? Or their job is to just give us stuff to use or not use at our leisure, but toss in some flavor so we don’t feel like we are reading a textbook?

I mean what do we want them to do, word for word reprints of previous books with only updated stat blocks? That’s what Goodman games is for, can I get a “What whaaaaat”?

My hope for Dark Sun (if they do it) is that they at least restrict subclasses. For example, you can play a cleric, but only a cleric of one of the four elemental domains. Paladins could have Oath of the Templar, warlocks could have The Sorcerer-King patron, etc. Then, you know, have a sidebar saying DMs can allow other subclasses if they want, but this is what’s available by default.
This would be pretty reasonable, to be honest. I still feel that restricting classes and races from a given campaign setting is a completely reasonable design space though - I think tieflings are super cool as an element of a Planescape game; I have no desire to see them in a Dark Sun one.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This would be pretty reasonable, to be honest. I still feel that restricting classes and races from a given campaign setting is a completely reasonable design space though - I think tieflings are super cool as an element of a Planescape game; I have no desire to see them in a Dark Sun one.
I agree! Restrictions can really help set a setting apart, and I think they’re under-utilized. Just throw in a “your DM might or might not allow other options; work with them if you want to play something not included here” sidebar and you’re golden.

Remove ads

Remove ads