Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE LIVES! Unearthed Arcana Explores Heroes of Krynn!

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a...

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery.

Dragonlance.jpg

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Kender have a (surprisingly magical) ability to pull things out of a bag, and a supernatural taunt feature. This magical ability appears to replace the older 'kleptomania' description -- "Unknown to most mortals, a magical phenomenon surrounds a kender. Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets."

Lunar Magic is a sorcerer subclass which draws power from the moon(s); there are notes for using it in Eberron.

Also included are feats such as Adepts of the Black, White, and Red Robes, and Knights of the Sword, Rose, and Crown.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This UA did not change the lore regarding Kender and fear or explain two types of Kender. It just made the singular type of Kender a part of the Feywild and not Krynn.

The novels are not an attempt to change game lore. I don't care if it's canon or not, huge numbers of people don't read the novels and/or don't port that stuff into the game. If the new stuff from the novels is not printed in GAME materials, it doesn't really count.
All the kender stuff was printed in the DL books for 3e published by Margaret Weis.

Okay. I misunderstood. 4e? I don't recall any 3e changes like that.
What’s interesting about the supplement I attached (this is what I have been talking about) is that this is a good model for what we should have gotten for 5e FR (it explains all the changes in Krynn after the novels ended their big event) but didn’t (we never got a true post spellplague primer for FR is what I’m saying)

dave2008

Legend
I don't like it being magical at all actually, but I especially dislike it being yet another thing connected to the Feywild.
That is of course your prerogative ( I do like it); however, what else is being connected to the Feywild. I feel like very little in D&D races as lore, let alone mechanical connections to the Feywild. Like I said, I think they should include at least gnomes, halflings, elves and goblins at a minimum.

Remove ads

Remove ads